Go Back   Club Lexus Forums > General Forums > The Clubhouse
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Folding @ Home - Let's find a cure for cancer

Old 11-25-06, 02:41 AM   #31
Davtown
Lexus Champion
Trader Score: (0)

I finished my first work unit earlier this week, but since then I keep getting a 'Could not connect to work server' message at the bottom of the screen and it won't give me another work unit I don't know what to do to fix it, either!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Club Lexus!
Davtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 04:39 PM   #32
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Howdy guys!

Quick update on this stuff.

A lot of our members have seemingly lagged out.

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/m...&teamnum=45435
According to that it says out of 9 members, we only have 6 active cpus.
Members can have multiple cpu's and I bet that's the case, so that means a few folks aren't even contributing

I'm really disappointed x2 because Clublexus can't even break the the 2000th rank. If we can get higher rank, than we can view more detailed statistics from a website I know called Extreme Overclocking. It'll let us see where we're ranked and how other teams within our range are doing so we can see if we'll be overtaken soon and who we are going to overtake.

Also there's a lot of new stuff regarding Folding at home.
If you have an Intel Mac, there is a nifty new client out that works about 8x faster than before. If you have an ATi graphics card on Windows, there is a GPU client out that is about 300!!x faster than normal.

We need more members representing Clublexus.com ! It's for a great cause and is really easy to install!

2008 LS600lh | 2006 LX470 | 2008 IS-F x2| 2004 360 Spyder | 2011 C63 w/ P31 + 471 | TLN #8
vraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-07, 04:49 PM   #33
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraa View Post
Howdy guys!

Quick update on this stuff.

A lot of our members have seemingly lagged out.

http://vspx27.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/m...&teamnum=45435
According to that it says out of 9 members, we only have 6 active cpus.
Members can have multiple cpu's and I bet that's the case, so that means a few folks aren't even contributing

I'm really disappointed x2 because Clublexus can't even break the the 2000th rank. If we can get higher rank, than we can view more detailed statistics from a website I know called Extreme Overclocking. It'll let us see where we're ranked and how other teams within our range are doing so we can see if we'll be overtaken soon and who we are going to overtake.

Also there's a lot of new stuff regarding Folding at home.
If you have an Intel Mac, there is a nifty new client out that works about 8x faster than before. If you have an ATi graphics card on Windows, there is a GPU client out that is about 300!!x faster than normal.

We need more members representing Clublexus.com ! It's for a great cause and is really easy to install!
I have had mine running since I last posted (right above your post) 2 months ago. I still can't figure out why it won't let me connect to the server again to recieve my second work unit.... it worked the first time
Old 02-12-07, 04:51 PM   #34
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davtown View Post
I have had mine running since I last posted (right above your post) 2 months ago. I still can't figure out why it won't let me connect to the server again to recieve my second work unit.... it worked the first time
Let's figure it out then

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Folding@Home, it could be a corrupted configuration file.

2008 LS600lh | 2006 LX470 | 2008 IS-F x2| 2004 360 Spyder | 2011 C63 w/ P31 + 471 | TLN #8
Old 02-12-07, 05:17 PM   #35
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eternity3G View Post
Dude... Gotta bump this thread.. I just saw it and it's for a good cause... (how do the numbers go up? do we just let the program run?)
I was looking at the stats, and you're the number 1 folder on Clublexus's team!

Old 02-12-07, 09:00 PM   #36
Davtown
Lexus Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vraa View Post
Let's figure it out then

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling Folding@Home, it could be a corrupted configuration file.
Yeah, I tried that.... I still can't figure out why it would do the first one, but nothing after that even though my settings were the same.
Old 02-12-07, 09:05 PM   #37
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Do you have a firewall?
After the program downloads the work unit, it must send back processed results, a firewall could block that.

Old 02-13-07, 12:06 PM   #38
irv_usc
Lead Lap

mine craps out almost everytime it reconnects to get a new unit.
Old 02-13-07, 12:51 PM   #39
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv_usc View Post
mine craps out almost everytime it reconnects to get a new unit.
Do you have a firewall?
What do you mean by craps out?

Old 02-13-07, 05:59 PM   #40
irv_usc
Lead Lap

the program crashes and i have to reload. but i still get credit for the completed unit.
Old 02-13-07, 07:40 PM   #41
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

vraa - I think the issue is some people don't want additional software running on their computers since most computers are already swamped by Outlook, browsers, Acrobat Reader, photo editing software, etc. Maybe you can help by explaining if it's really true that it won't impact their work when they're using it?

And with all the constant battle with viruses and security holes, maybe you can help quell people's concerns there too.

I confess to having read this a while back but thought no, I don't want unknown possibly buggy software running on my PC I do work with. But what I just did is download the Linux version which is now running on my Linux box. Piece of cake.

It told me it's completed step 0 of 500000 so far so that's a big workload!!!

Hopefully it will run ok.
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-07, 08:58 PM   #42
bitkahuna
resisting entropy
Trader Score: (15)

2% done already (10000 steps)
TLN #911 * Stop Global Whining
9/11- never forget
nosce te ipsum
bitkahuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 05:31 AM   #43
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Can you tell me how it crashes? I'll try to talk with the makers of the program to see if they've noticed your issue before.

Old 02-14-07, 05:39 AM   #44
vraa
CL Folding Team Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitkahuna View Post
vraa - I think the issue is some people don't want additional software running on their computers since most computers are already swamped by Outlook, browsers, Acrobat Reader, photo editing software, etc. Maybe you can help by explaining if it's really true that it won't impact their work when they're using it?

And with all the constant battle with viruses and security holes, maybe you can help quell people's concerns there too.

I confess to having read this a while back but thought no, I don't want unknown possibly buggy software running on my PC I do work with. But what I just did is download the Linux version which is now running on my Linux box. Piece of cake.

It told me it's completed step 0 of 500000 so far so that's a big workload!!!

Hopefully it will run ok.
Yeah I sure can explain it, but it'll require a little bit of understanding.

The way computers (all operating systems, just different implementations) judge which process (program) deserves cpu power is through priority.

If you're running WindowsXP, you can see a processes priority by right clicking on your taskbar, going to task manager, and right clicking a process and seeing it's priority there.

Folding at Home runs at the LOWEST priority. That means if you're running F@H and then loading up the latest greatest game (graaaah I LOVE BATTLEFIELD!!) the computer will know that it needs to dedicate computer power to the game rather than the research. The research is (like I said before) at the lowest priority while the game runs at normal priority. You'll see that a big companies on their servers, applications can sometimes run at higher priority. Webserver apps sometimes need real time priority.

On MacOSX, since it has a *bsd foundation, it supports this thing called "nice" which from my understanding means the process is being nice and letting go of the system resources. I play Quake and Unreal Tournament on my Mac with no impact on performance. I leave F@H running.

F@H is sponsored by Stanford university and a TON of corporations. Their sister projects like United Devices is sponsored by Oxford and Intel. They've got a bunch of big-name companies behind their back, there's no spyware or malware. The project has been running for a few years and has made a lot of results so far but there is always room for more.

If you guys need spyware or virus help, feel free to make a thread and shoot me a PM, I deal with that stuff almost everyday that I have to take care of at work.

I just completed my first workunit on my Mac a few days ago, it took a little more than a day. It was incredible to be taking on such a huge workload. I used to be heavily involved with the United Devices project, but I switched to Folding @ Home instead because the F@H client is a lot more 'flexible' meaning I can run it on almost ANY kind of computer and it's a lot easier to administrate.

If anyone has any questions, like I said, feel free to ask.

Old 02-14-07, 10:40 AM   #45
4evDev
Pole Position
Trader Score: (1)

I just got mine rolling!
4evDev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-07, 10:40 AM

Tags
cancer, change, club, cureforcancer, folding, folding @ home, foldinghome, home, images, lexus, p2611pope, p2613tethered, progress, ps3, username, vesicles