Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Ballpark range of spring install?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-17, 07:53 PM
GSLexTexas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Ballpark range of spring install?

I bought RSR Super Downs for my 13 GS350 rwd, non fsport. I went to get a quote locally, Houston, for spring install and alignment. I damn near swallowed my gum when I was quoted $800. Is this the right price range for a typical spring install and alignment? I asked if that was a quote including camber kits (Do we need those?), new shocks, etc. He said, "Nope. That's the quote for labor of the spring install and alignment." Is this guy pulling my leg of what?

What did you all pay for a spring install and alignment? Do you need camber kits as well? Also, do you have to take out the back seat to install the rear springs?
Old 02-09-17, 09:58 PM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

A reputable performance shop here quoted me $850 with alignment. Another at $600 no alignment. A general wheel/tire shop quoted me $350 with no alignment, but I didn't trust them. Prices will vary depending on the shop. Definitely call around for a few estimates, but go with the one that's reputable. I ended up doing the install myself... it actually wasn't that difficult if you have the right tools!

If you can, ask for an estimate without an alignment. You don't want to get an alignment right after the spring install as they haven't had a chance to settle. Wait at least a few weeks before getting the alignment. I'm on Tanabes and they ended up settling another half inch over the next month after install. So I waited until then to get the alignment done.

No need to take out the back seats. All rear work is done underneath the car.

I installed rear camber arms on mine, but it wasn't completely necessary. On Super Downs you'll have some negative camber, so it's up to you if you want to get adjustable camber arms and have it put back in spec when you get an alignment. Or just live with the negative camber and run the risk of getting some uneven tire wear. Depending on how off the camber is, you may go through tires a bit quicker.
Old 02-16-17, 08:37 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm guessing there are a few folks in the Houston area who could help you do it yourself or know a good shop. That sounds excessive for labor, considering it's about a 1.5hr job for 2 people if they know what they're doing.

I would only get it done by somebody who knows what they're doing to avoid issues with damaging ABS sensors or not installing the AVS stuff properly (assuming you have AVS).

Another thread on it over here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...tion-cost.html
Old 03-07-17, 06:53 PM
GSLexTexas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I finally got my springs installed. I went to my local "chinatown" where there are lots of mechanic shops, i got quoted for $400 and jumped on that!