Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Lowered on RSR super downs and scraping

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17, 02:28 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Lowered on RSR super downs and scraping

So I'm lowered on the RSR super downs, and every now and then I scrape, but sometimes when I'm not careful the rear of the car scrapes too. Its happened probably about 5 times. I just want to know if anybody else is lowered, what is getting hit/scraped from the rear of the car? Is it the exhaust?
Old 01-25-17, 10:14 AM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Most members say it's the wheel hitting the inner fender lining when you hit bumps and potholes since the spring will be compressing, therefore drawing the wheel closer to the fender. Also, since you're on super downs, your drop is more than the regular RSR's which will close that wheel gap that much more. From what I hear, cutting some of the inner fender lining will resolve the issue, but it is recommended that it be done professionally.
It's highly unlikely that the exhaust is scraping if you have the stock exhaust. Even on super downs I doubt the car is so low that the exhaust is scraping.
Old 01-25-17, 01:45 PM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TrevorTran
Most members say it's the wheel hitting the inner fender lining when you hit bumps and potholes since the spring will be compressing, therefore drawing the wheel closer to the fender. Also, since you're on super downs, your drop is more than the regular RSR's which will close that wheel gap that much more. From what I hear, cutting some of the inner fender lining will resolve the issue, but it is recommended that it be done professionally.
It's highly unlikely that the exhaust is scraping if you have the stock exhaust. Even on super downs I doubt the car is so low that the exhaust is scraping.
Idk the way it sounds, sounds like its a metal part or something else touching the ground
Old 01-26-17, 12:47 PM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Are you able to look underneath your car for evidence of scraping? Your exhaust will surely have scrape marks if it is indeed dragging as you are driving.
Old 01-28-17, 04:27 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by TrevorTran
Are you able to look underneath your car for evidence of scraping? Your exhaust will surely have scrape marks if it is indeed dragging as you are driving.
I did when I was getting a oil change, looked normal, no signs of damage or scraping

its really weird
Old 01-28-17, 05:13 AM
Marinlex88
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im debating on what springs to purchase and this its making me think about ride comfort now.. ����
Old 02-01-17, 01:15 PM
tidalk
Driver School Candidate

I'm in the same boat as marinlex... Selling BMW so my wife gets an SUV... and I inherit her 450h... Unfortunately... it seems like the adaptive suspension is going to be a problem... similar to the BMW. With a separate ECU on each shock, it freaks out if its lowered and needed a reflash... no independent shop could flash it besides BMW... thus a 4500 bill for a 20 minute task..

If I'm not mistaken, the GS450h has the same feature.. so it seems like lowering springs might be the only option while retaining the factory adaptive suspension...

Any pics of the lowered gs450h with RSRs? The one on their site looks like a fresh drop.. anybody might have a settled in drop pic?
Old 02-02-17, 11:29 AM
kamskeez
Pole Position

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Unless you're on a very conservative drop, you'll definitely scrape every now and then. I'm on Tanabe's which is slightly higher than the RSR's in the rear and my exhaust scrapes every now and then pulling out of steep driveways. Just have to be as careful as possible and always go at an angle. The joys of being lowered!
Old 02-06-17, 01:37 PM
Staggered3
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I went from Tanabe to RSR and there is a definite visible clearance, you really have to adjust your driving style while on rims or lowered, angle everything when pulling in or coming out and just watch for potholes... i love the look and feel of the RSR's i would do coils but dont want to sacrifice the adaptive suspension and i dont want the "J" coils. I am at a happy medium.
Old 02-06-17, 03:54 PM
tidalk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Staggered3
I went from Tanabe to RSR and there is a definite visible clearance, you really have to adjust your driving style while on rims or lowered, angle everything when pulling in or coming out and just watch for potholes... i love the look and feel of the RSR's i would do coils but dont want to sacrifice the adaptive suspension and i dont want the "J" coils. I am at a happy medium.
I haven't been able to take a look, but are there any modules attached to the struts? I ran into wiring problems when lowering the BMW, was wondering if its the same for lexus...
Old 03-05-17, 04:34 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Think I figured out what it was. Had the car raised again to replace my brake pads and I was examining the rear, theres two metal pipe like objects in the rear and they look like they had been scraped, pretty sure it was those. Don't know what they're for or whatever but found what it was
Old 03-05-17, 03:08 PM
MrKoo
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

so does it still scrape?
Old 03-14-17, 06:11 PM
GSLexTexas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Im on super downs and i only scrape my front lip going down my driveway, even at an angle. I don't scrape nothing in the rear end of the car, thus far.
Old 03-14-17, 06:29 PM
DoWerk
Driver School Candidate

I am on rsr superdowns and also running spacers;20mm in the rear which seems to be the norm from other members on here, and scraping like crazy on oem wheels with oem tire specs. For future members looking to lower on RSR superdowns I would highly recommend 15 mm in the rear and 20 mm in the front if you're on stock wheels.
Old 03-16-17, 05:37 PM
Staggered3
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by DoWerk
I am on rsr superdowns and also running spacers;20mm in the rear which seems to be the norm from other members on here, and scraping like crazy on oem wheels with oem tire specs. For future members looking to lower on RSR superdowns I would highly recommend 15 mm in the rear and 20 mm in the front if you're on stock wheels.
is it scraping on the ground? Or rubbing on the fender with the spacer? Scraping I usually think of as on the pavement. Which I don't think spacers would cause but fender rubbing I could see because of spacers

Quick Reply: Lowered on RSR super downs and scraping