Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Clunking coming from the rear of my GS350

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-16, 12:37 PM
jdigga99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking coming from the rear of my GS350

Hi guys. Relatively new to Lexus and CL. Bought a '14 350 F sport about a month ago and have put maybe 2000 miles on it for a total of 23000. Anyway in low speeds i hear what can be best described as a clunking over bumps or uneven surfaces. I'm still another 2k miles away from my first service and the dealer isn't exactly convenient to get to. Anyone with experience, is this normal with the GS? Or is it something i should have checked out sooner rather than later? Thanks!
Old 07-14-16, 03:16 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've developed a clunking noise as well. Mine is coming from the driver side. I've narrowed it down to being a bad strut. I've lowered mine on Tannabe springs so I'm only assuming this shortened the life on my stock struts.

I'm using this as an opportunity to make the switch to coilovers.

The stock rear F-sport strut is about $230-250 per strut. As long as you're not lowered it might be worth calling the dealership to see if that's a wear and tear item or if that is covered under warranty.
Old 07-15-16, 02:39 PM
jdigga99
Driver

Originally Posted by trbosmitty
I've developed a clunking noise as well. Mine is coming from the driver side. I've narrowed it down to being a bad strut. I've lowered mine on Tannabe springs so I'm only assuming this shortened the life on my stock struts.

I'm using this as an opportunity to make the switch to coilovers.

The stock rear F-sport strut is about $230-250 per strut. As long as you're not lowered it might be worth calling the dealership to see if that's a wear and tear item or if that is covered under warranty.
Thanks for the reply man. I'm as stock as it comes so i'd imagine it would be covered...hopefully! I don't feel a difference in the ride but it's just annoying to hear
Old 08-18-16, 08:00 AM
jdigga99
Driver

Update: My sunroof is getting replaced to see if that stops the clunking sound. More to come...
Old 08-22-16, 08:12 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I'm curious what troubleshooting was done that pointed to the sunroof. Could you please elaborate more?

If that doesn't end up as the issue, I'd consider things like worn out struts, loose junk in the trunk (check the spare tire area), etc.
Old 08-23-16, 09:36 AM
jdigga99
Driver

Originally Posted by spoogenet
I'm curious what troubleshooting was done that pointed to the sunroof. Could you please elaborate more?

If that doesn't end up as the issue, I'd consider things like worn out struts, loose junk in the trunk (check the spare tire area), etc.
I have no idea how but the tech came on a ride along with me when i dropped it off and immediately mentioned the sunroof after it happened a few times during the drive. I could've sworn it was coming from the rear of the car but apparently it was coming from the rear of the sunroof. The description on the work order says it was the ''sliding roof sub assembly''... as far as they could tell it was clunk up and down when the car was uneven...like turning up a ramp or one side going over a speed bump...very weird. But it seems to be fixed now, i picked it up yesterday.
Old 08-23-16, 07:06 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Interesting. Glad you got it resolved and thanks for the info!
Old 08-24-16, 07:50 AM
jdigga99
Driver

Originally Posted by spoogenet
Interesting. Glad you got it resolved and thanks for the info!
Thx man, few things are more annoying than strange, unidentified sounds while driving lol
Old 09-15-16, 02:40 PM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jdigga99
I have no idea how but the tech came on a ride along with me when i dropped it off and immediately mentioned the sunroof after it happened a few times during the drive. I could've sworn it was coming from the rear of the car but apparently it was coming from the rear of the sunroof. The description on the work order says it was the ''sliding roof sub assembly''... as far as they could tell it was clunk up and down when the car was uneven...like turning up a ramp or one side going over a speed bump...very weird. But it seems to be fixed now, i picked it up yesterday.
I had the exact same issue with my 13 F-Sport. The dealership originally replaced a bunch of suspension parts which didn't fix the issue, the noise sounded like it was coming from the back sometimes and the front other times. The tech raised the sunroof on a road test and the noise magically stopped. They flew out a few Lexus techs from California for a few days to take a look and they ended up replacing the whole sunroof assembly which fixed the issue but then it came back a couple weeks later. Took it back to the dealership and they determined that it needed additional insulation so they added some insulation which corrected the issue. He mentioned that there was a roof noise under investigation for the 2013 models, which apparently affects the 2014 models as well.
The following users liked this post:
NeaC1 (10-02-19)
Old 09-25-16, 09:41 AM
jamesL1982
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question did you get a bad noise in the fron as well when the struts started to go I have rsr springs on mine and now the from is making a bad sqeeking notice almost sounds like metal is bending inside the dash
Old 09-26-16, 07:14 AM
jdigga99
Driver

Originally Posted by homeboyv
I had the exact same issue with my 13 F-Sport. The dealership originally replaced a bunch of suspension parts which didn't fix the issue, the noise sounded like it was coming from the back sometimes and the front other times. The tech raised the sunroof on a road test and the noise magically stopped. They flew out a few Lexus techs from California for a few days to take a look and they ended up replacing the whole sunroof assembly which fixed the issue but then it came back a couple weeks later. Took it back to the dealership and they determined that it needed additional insulation so they added some insulation which corrected the issue. He mentioned that there was a roof noise under investigation for the 2013 models, which apparently affects the 2014 models as well.
The research done on your car is probably why they knew where to look on mine. It was difficult for me to pinpoint exactly where the sound was coming from but the tech seemed to figure it out right away.
Old 09-27-16, 09:14 AM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The research done on your car is probably why they knew where to look on mine. It was difficult for me to pinpoint exactly where the sound was coming from but the tech seemed to figure it out right away.
Ya possibly, they had my car for almost a month. Definitely a very annoying thing but I'm just glad that they were able to fix it. I hadn't modified the suspension yet at that time and I feel that if I had, they would've definitely blamed the noises on that and sent me on my way.
Old 10-07-16, 03:52 PM
johnphan79
Rookie

Angry

Update: My sunroof is getting replaced to see if that stops the clunking sound. More to come...
Hi,

So, how your sunroof with the poor rattle noise? Any updates?

I got mine fixed, not replaced about 2 1/2 month ago.... but look like to sound is coming back here n there about a week ago.

Thanks
Old 11-03-16, 04:20 PM
jdigga99
Driver

Originally Posted by johnphan79
Hi,

So, how your sunroof with the poor rattle noise? Any updates?

I got mine fixed, not replaced about 2 1/2 month ago.... but look like to sound is coming back here n there about a week ago.

Thanks
Man i'm sorry to hear that, it is an annoying sound for sure. Luckily i haven't had any other issues from it since they fixed it a while back. Hopefully they can take care of yours again.
Old 11-04-16, 05:32 PM
Twidge
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

take it in for warranty.

Quick Reply: Clunking coming from the rear of my GS350