Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Converting to conventional tires with APSSS suspension

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-16, 12:31 PM
amdel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Converting to conventional tires with APSSS suspension

I have a 2007 GS450H with the optional APSSS (Active Power Stabilizer Suspension System). The car came with run flat tires, and because of the poor ride quality of the run flats, we want to convert to conventional (non-run flat) tires. Since the APSSS senses cornering conditions (roll resistance), and interactively adjusts the sway bar stiffness, will this system still operate correctly if we change to conventional tires? I'm concerned that if the APSSS is designed/tuned (from the factory) to handle the firmer stock run-flat tires, that it might send the wrong adjustments to the sway bars if I put on conventional tires. I'm considering Michelin Pilot conventional tires to replace the Bridgestone Turanza run flats. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the APSSS will adjust better, worse, or about the same as a more conventional suspension? I'd appreciate any advice!
Old 10-01-18, 11:47 AM
adamselene
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My solution was the Bridgestone Potenza Y rated BMW 050A tire. See my post today. If you’re still watching, what did you decode?

Originally Posted by amdel
I have a 2007 GS450H with the optional APSSS (Active Power Stabilizer Suspension System). The car came with run flat tires, and because of the poor ride quality of the run flats, we want to convert to conventional (non-run flat) tires. Since the APSSS senses cornering conditions (roll resistance), and interactively adjusts the sway bar stiffness, will this system still operate correctly if we change to conventional tires? I'm concerned that if the APSSS is designed/tuned (from the factory) to handle the firmer stock run-flat tires, that it might send the wrong adjustments to the sway bars if I put on conventional tires. I'm considering Michelin Pilot conventional tires to replace the Bridgestone Turanza run flats. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether the APSSS will adjust better, worse, or about the same as a more conventional suspension? I'd appreciate any advice!
Old 10-02-18, 04:10 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

Think of Apsss as adjustable sway bars. The reason why the car was outfitted with run flats is because there is hardware in the spare tire well where a spare tire would normally go. Due to the package concerns of a new vehicle APSSS cars were sold with run flats. Replacing run flat tires is probably the best thing you can do. May I suggest Michelin PS4...awesome performance tire that is relatively quiet. Tire choice should align with driving conditions. You should have no problem moving away from run flats. Just know you don't have a spare.