Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

GS450H rated springs NF210 part#GWS191NK Installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-15, 08:52 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Default GS450H rated springs NF210 part#GWS191NK Installed

So in my search for correctly rated springs for the GS450H I was coming up empty. I apologize for the multiple posts and pictures. This information is what I had wished was available and I hope to help a fellow enthusiast that are looking for GS450h springs.

I saw that there are many here with Tanabe DF210 Part# TDF112 and NF210 Part #TNF112. This spring is well documented here (Thank you Stormforge, Mike@vossen, and whoever else I missed!) was designed for GS300,350,430,and 460 models. TNF112 Spring rate= 4.6Kg/5.8Kg, TDF112 Spring rate= 4.7Kg/6.1Kg according to the Tanabe USA website.

I did not want to compromise the ride by having springs that are way too soft for the rear of the GS450H. As many here know, and now you do too, the GS450h has it's hybrid batteries in the rear of the car. This adds a significant amount of weight to the rear of the car. This means the spring rates that work for the non-hybrid models will not work for the hybrid. That is to say, they were not designed to handle the load. I would say the easiest way to visualize this is that a GS450 with no passangers is like a GS300,350,430,460 with two passengers in the back seat.

So I began my search for properly rated springs for the 3rd gen GS450h. I had reached out to Eibach, and Tanabe USA. Eibach has not responded once. Tanabe had responded and requested to use my car as a test vehicle. The test procedure was not very transparent, and with no benefit for loaning the car I decided not to go that route. Mind you they were very responsive and explained everything I asked them in as much detail as they were allowed to. Since I am lucky and have contacts in Japan I decided to see what is offered in the market there. Low and behold the first search came up with Tanabe NF210 part #GWS191NK designed for the GS450h 06'-12' Now the spring rates on these are as follows: F4.5Kg/R7.0Kg drop rate is quoted as 15-25mm for both front and rear. Needless to say, by numbers it looked good so I ordered from amazon.co.jp and had my contacts ship me the springs. Thank you to SONIC MS in San Jose California for doing the install. I highly recommend this shop.

Type: NF210 Kit<br/>Code: GWS191NK

Front on left. Rear spring on right

GWS191NR stamped (rear spring)

GWS191NF stamped(front spring)

Last edited by rl9010; 05-12-15 at 09:36 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by rl9010:
angelob (09-01-17), natnut (08-06-19)
Old 05-12-15, 08:56 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Now to some "before" measurements. These following shots were taken with measuring tape at the center of the wheel cap from the ground to the bottom of the fender gaps.

Driver Front 27.5 inches

Passenger Front 27.5 inches

Driver Rear 27 inches

Passanger Rear 27 inches
Old 05-12-15, 09:06 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Now for some after measurements. Measurements taken the same way I did previously in the same spot as well to eliminate as many variables as possible. Note these are taken right after install and have not "settled" yet. I probably have to retake these as I was a tad excited to go on a drive!

Driver front 26.8 vs 27.5 . After springs settled 26.5

Passanger front 26.8 vs 27.5 After springs settled 26.5

Driver rear 26 vs 27 After springs settled 25.8

Passenger rear 26.2 vs 27...after a remeasure it came out to 26.0 after vs 27.0 before After springs settled 25.9

Last edited by rl9010; 06-01-15 at 09:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
petershen (05-09-18)
Old 05-12-15, 09:14 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Now here is the final result. The springs have not settled yet but I do not expect them to change that drastically.

Overall I am very impressed with the ride quality. It seems to be just as advertised...Normal Feel. The springs have however eliminated the "floaty" feel over rolling bumps. I no longer feel as if I am sitting on the car, rather I feel as if I am sitting in it. It is too early to give detailed feedback on the ride however from my drive home I can say the car does feel more composed. AVS works just as it did before but I have a lot more road feel with this turned on sport. If you have any questions I will help as much as possible.

Immediate after install

After a 3 mile drive

Stock height

Stock height

Last edited by rl9010; 05-12-15 at 09:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
petershen (11-24-22)
Old 05-13-15, 07:30 AM
bigblack06

Received 321 Likes on 219 Posts

How long have you been driving them I would give it three to four weeks and do another measurement as it should settle lower after that. The rear should get lower, when I had it the height went lower than I expected.
Old 05-13-15, 11:22 AM
mr. tetsuo
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

good find!!

i should have thought outside the box in my search instead of just getting grs191 springs. in for pics after it settles
Old 05-13-15, 02:00 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bigblack06
How long have you been driving them I would give it three to four weeks and do another measurement as it should settle lower after that. The rear should get lower, when I had it the height went lower than I expected.
Those after measurements are taken the day of the drop. I will post after I put 1000 miles on them. I plan on editing the previous post to keep this thread organized. Wait a bit and I will update it!
Old 05-27-15, 11:36 AM
GS4TEK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nf210

Originally Posted by rl9010
Those after measurements are taken the day of the drop. I will post after I put 1000 miles on them. I plan on editing the previous post to keep this thread organized. Wait a bit and I will update it!
Hi thanks for sharing.
Very good post..
Please keep us updated Im waiting for feedbacks from members that are running Springs so I can get mine going. 2011 GS350 AWD
Old 06-01-15, 09:50 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

After 1000 miles of driving I have noticed a roughly .2-.3 inch drop from when first installed. Camber in the rear is at -2.2 and is the only part that is not within spec (specified range is -2.1- -0.6). I have everything else within spec although front camber is barely within stock specs (-1.2)

Driving impressions:

Very impressed with ride quality. Car feels just like stock except it now eliminates the stock floating sensation that becomes apparent on rolling bumps. The car feels planted and does not float around everywhere. Large bumps are absorbed nicely and there is no shock to the cabin. Essentially if feels like an oem sport suspension setup with an emphasis on comfort. In sport suspension setting the springs do provide plenty of road feel. In fact I feel there is more of a difference between sport and normal mode.(this could be totally false as I always wanted a significant difference between the two. Perception is reality.) The car does corner with less body roll in sport and normal mode. Overall I am satisfied with this change and do consider it a handling upgrade. If you are looking for a slammed look please look elsewhere. The drop these springs provide a two finger gap up front and a single finger gap in the rear. This is what I consider the perfect daily driver drop.

Driver front after 1000 miles 26.5

Passenger front after 1000 miles. Poor picture also 26.5 when measured properly

Driver rear now at 25.8

Passenger rear 25.9

Last edited by rl9010; 06-01-15 at 10:07 PM.
Old 06-03-15, 01:04 PM
GS4TEK
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After 1000 miles of driving I have noticed a roughly .2-.3 inch drop from when first installed. Camber in the rear is at -2.2 and is the only part that is not within spec (specified range is -2.1- -0.6). I have everything else within spec although front camber is barely within stock specs (-1.2)

Driving impressions:

Very impressed with ride quality. Car feels just like stock except it now eliminates the stock floating sensation that becomes apparent on rolling bumps. The car feels planted and does not float around everywhere. Large bumps are absorbed nicely and there is no shock to the cabin. Essentially if feels like an oem sport suspension setup with an emphasis on comfort. In sport suspension setting the springs do provide plenty of road feel. In fact I feel there is more of a difference between sport and normal mode.(this could be totally false as I always wanted a significant difference between the two. Perception is reality.) The car does corner with less body roll in sport and normal mode. Overall I am satisfied with this change and do consider it a handling upgrade. If you are looking for a slammed look please look elsewhere. The drop these springs provide a two finger gap up front and a single finger gap in the rear. This is what I consider the perfect daily driver drop.

Driver front after 1000 miles 26.5

Passenger front after 1000 miles. Poor picture also 26.5 when measured properly

Driver rear now at 25.8

Passenger rear 25.9
Thanks for sharing the update
very useful post for folks that looking for the same setup
Old 03-04-16, 05:51 AM
08Lex450h
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

How would I go about getting these springs? Would you mind sharing who you ordered them from in Japan or providing another option to get the springs spec'd for the 450h ?
I as well called Tanabe yesterday and was told they have not tested their springs on the 08 450h yet and offer no solutions other than custom cool-overs or sending them my springs and they'd custom make some for the price of around $7xx.xx+. No thanks. He didn't even offer or mention that I could call Japan or anything like that.

Anyway, please provide info on how to obtain these springs if you don't mind.

Thank you VERY much!

So in my search for correctly rated springs for the GS450H I was coming up empty. I apologize for the multiple posts and pictures. This information is what I had wished was available and I hope to help a fellow enthusiast that are looking for GS450h springs.

I saw that there are many here with Tanabe DF210 Part# TDF112 and NF210 Part #TNF112. This spring is well documented here (Thank you Stormforge, Mike@vossen, and whoever else I missed!) was designed for GS300,350,430,and 460 models. TNF112 Spring rate= 4.6Kg/5.8Kg, TDF112 Spring rate= 4.7Kg/6.1Kg according to the Tanabe USA website.

I did not want to compromise the ride by having springs that are way too soft for the rear of the GS450H. As many here know, and now you do too, the GS450h has it's hybrid batteries in the rear of the car. This adds a significant amount of weight to the rear of the car. This means the spring rates that work for the non-hybrid models will not work for the hybrid. That is to say, they were not designed to handle the load. I would say the easiest way to visualize this is that a GS450 with no passangers is like a GS300,350,430,460 with two passengers in the back seat.

So I began my search for properly rated springs for the 3rd gen GS450h. I had reached out to Eibach, and Tanabe USA. Eibach has not responded once. Tanabe had responded and requested to use my car as a test vehicle. The test procedure was not very transparent, and with no benefit for loaning the car I decided not to go that route. Mind you they were very responsive and explained everything I asked them in as much detail as they were allowed to. Since I am lucky and have contacts in Japan I decided to see what is offered in the market there. Low and behold the first search came up with Tanabe NF210 part #GWS191NK designed for the GS450h 06'-12' Now the spring rates on these are as follows: F4.5Kg/R7.0Kg drop rate is quoted as 15-25mm for both front and rear. Needless to say, by numbers it looked good so I ordered from amazon.co.jp and had my contacts ship me the springs. Thank you to SONIC MS in San Jose California for doing the install. I highly recommend this shop.

Type: NF210 Kit<br/>Code: GWS191NK

Front on left. Rear spring on right

GWS191NR stamped (rear spring)

GWS191NF stamped(front spring)
Old 03-07-16, 07:25 PM
08Lex450h
Rookie

After calling Tanabe and telling them the part # for the correct springs they were able to call their facility in Japan and get me a price. However, since they are not USA springs they cannot sell directly to me. So they gave me some names of some distributors here in SoCal and I called a few. Had one call me back and let me know that he can get them ordered but it will be approx 45-60 days per Tanabe Japan to get them stateside for $345.00+tax. I think I'm gonna order them tomorrow. I looked into tenso.com for a Japanese reseller. The way that works is, you sign up and they give you a Japan address that the springs are send to then they send it in a container to the US. The price from Amazon.co.jp is about $200 but then there's shipping from Japan to Tenso. Then Tenso charges shipping to US plus a fee to do it. When all is said and done it's about 60+ days and around the same cost, maybe more by using Tenso.
Old 03-10-16, 05:25 AM
08Lex450h
Rookie

Ordered the springs yesterday from Pann Auto in San Diego who ordered them from Tanabe USA who ordered them from Tanabe Japan.
$345 + Tax = $375 and I have to go pick them up from the shop. Should be here in about 6-8 weeks. Right about the time my wheels arrive.
Fun stuff...
Old 03-10-16, 01:06 PM
rl9010
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 08Lex450h
Ordered the springs yesterday from Pann Auto in San Diego who ordered them from Tanabe USA who ordered them from Tanabe Japan.
$345 + Tax = $375 and I have to go pick them up from the shop. Should be here in about 6-8 weeks. Right about the time my wheels arrive.
Fun stuff...
Nice! Welcome to the super exclusive club (2?) of riding on 450h springs! I bet your results will be similar to mine. Let us know!
Old 03-10-16, 01:12 PM
08Lex450h
Rookie

Show us current pix of yours.

Nice! Welcome to the super exclusive club (2?) of riding on 450h springs! I bet your results will be similar to mine. Let us know!

Quick Reply: GS450H rated springs NF210 part#GWS191NK Installed