Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

front sways

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-15, 02:06 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 398 Likes on 242 Posts
Default front sways

Has any one bought these, are they available?

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/rnd/?tag=/...stabilizer+bar
Old 04-06-15, 04:29 PM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been considering it. Would appreciate any feedback on them oo.

Is the gain worth the money over the stock ones?
Old 04-07-15, 10:33 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if they the same size as the F-Sport factory sway bars? And is there difference in factory sway bar diameter between F-Sport and NON F-Sport models?
Old 04-07-15, 12:52 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Read somewhere else that the sway bar diameter of the F Sport and non F Sport were the same.
So I wonder...is there ANY difference in the F Sport suspension other than the adjustable dampers we get in Sport + mode?

Sure doesn't feel like it. Would really be interested in a legit sway bar upgrade option. Tanabe Front bar might have promise but not enough info (specs and performance parameters). I read where another poster got a set of the rare and expensive JDM TRD sway bars (F/R) and he found the dimensions to 27.5mm/17.3mm, F/R, like the stock set up. So one could only suppose its the bars were higher rate or bushings were much harder. Still don't know what the Tanabe bar is all about.

Even so, I think the 4G Lexus sways too much and can really benefit from some bars.
Another concern?? Common thinking is to do both bars, F/R, when upgrading so the effect is balanced. If just the front bar is upgraded, it'll reduce some sway/roll but increase understeer significantly. What is Tanabe's take on this?

Just for comparison, I did the OEM "F Sport" sway bar and lowering sprig upgrade on my 3G and the results were stunning. Locked the car down FLAT. Back then, the "F Sport" bar sets were thicker and roll resistance engineered about 30% increase, according to Lexus marketing info.

Regretfully, no OEM upgrades for the 4G readily available. I can only hope that the aftermarket offers some legit solutions soon. I can't be the only one that thinks the 4G rolls and sways too much?
Old 04-07-15, 06:22 PM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

Rolls and sways way too much!!!
Old 04-08-15, 04:14 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Simply lowering it made a huge impact for me.
Old 04-08-15, 07:16 PM
HDEddie1
Driver

Smile

Originally Posted by terrycs
Simply lowering it made a huge impact for me.
Then you will LOVE the way thicker sway bars work if you do upgrade to them. Its been my several past mod experiences that lowering springs do help reduce roll just a bit, but very much of it is dependent on how stiff the lowering spring is compared to the OEM...almost proportional to the % increase in spring was the % increase in roll resistance. But each time I did sway bars. F/R, the % increase in roll resistance was substantial. Way more than a the springs did. And the best part of using thicker bars was no negative effect on ride comfort (compared to stiffer springs).

That all being said, I'm lowered on Tanabe NF210, which by their marketing info and by butt feel, the springs are hardly stiffer than the OEM F sport springs. Yes a bit lower but not enough stiffness to cancel out much of the sway I still feel.

Maybe its just me but a hope for somebody to offer a good set of sway bars for our 4G. I can still remember the go-cart like difference the old 3G F Sport sway bar option did on my 2008 GS
Old 04-09-15, 10:04 AM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm waiting for someone to make a proper front and rear set. The rear makes the biggest difference and everything said above is true.

When they're out I'll buy a set in a heartbeat.
Old 04-10-15, 09:17 AM
HDEddie1
Driver

Default Future GS F bars maybe?

Or, maybe luck will have it that the upcoming GS F will have sway bars that can be retro fitted. Not much is specified on the new GS F suspension yet but maybe the sway bar configuration is the same as our F Sport but just thicker with harder bushings. That being known, then it would be just a bolt-on proposition.

Wish we had a Lexus insider that could chime in
Old 04-10-15, 06:37 PM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

I sent an email to Tanabe asking for any data related to testing the sway bars versus oem. If I hear back I will post it
Old 04-10-15, 06:49 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by HDEddie1
Or, maybe luck will have it that the upcoming GS F will have sway bars that can be retro fitted. Not much is specified on the new GS F suspension yet but maybe the sway bar configuration is the same as our F Sport but just thicker with harder bushings. That being known, then it would be just a bolt-on proposition.

Wish we had a Lexus insider that could chime in
I would prefer the chomoly setup from tanabe though. Maybe Tanabe will have front and rear soon.
Old 04-10-15, 06:57 PM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

Their website says they have the front sway bars available. Don't mention rear ones though.
Old 04-10-15, 07:00 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Ford1776
Their website says they have the front sway bars available. Don't mention rear ones though.
Yeah, only front.

here is the F sport

http://www.tanabe-usa.com/rnd/post/T...t.aspx#comment

Old 04-11-15, 08:40 AM
JEFFOS69
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems so strange that they don't have a full set
Old 04-16-15, 06:31 PM
Ford1776
Driver School Candidate

Tanabe replied they don't offer a front sway bar for our car????

Quick Reply: front sways