Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Replace AVS with F-Sport Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-14, 01:51 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Replace AVS with F-Sport Shocks

Hi to this subforum!

Just purchased a 2009 GS450h with AVS and I'm thinking of upgrading the handling ability of the car.

Specifically, I want to replace the stock shocks with the F-Sport shocks. I'm not thinking of lowering the car so lowering springs and coilovers not an option for me.

I know that replacing the stock shocks means I lose the AVS function but my question is : is this swap even possible or does the AVS hardware physically prevent installation of the F-Sport shocks.

Has anyone on this forum done this actual swap in the past?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Old 08-16-14, 10:58 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

I'm not sure if the 450h suspension cross references. I was told it doesn't by a service advisor (long story)....

You simply lose AVS functionality, the unit is removed from the top of the struts and that's about it.

GL!
Old 08-17-14, 03:46 PM
swtjlsy
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Avs is just disconnected from the top of the strut but does not effect the car besides that
Old 08-18-14, 02:00 AM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Thanks to everyone who answered.

So is it confirmed that as long as the AVS is disconnected, there should be no physical/hardware issues preventing F-Sport shocks from being installed in an AVS equipped GS?

I wouldn't want to have the F-Sports shocks shipped all the way from the US only to find that F-sport shocks won't even fit in the first place.
Old 08-18-14, 06:48 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The AVS is a little motor mounted to the top of the strut tower that turns a screw on AVS-compatible struts. If you install incompatible struts, you just remove the motor and disconnect it from the wiring harness, and put it in a box for later. I don't know if disconnecting the motors will cause a check engine light or not.

If you want to check it out, just take the motor off and have a look - you will see a hole where the screw adjuster comes through the top of the strut tower. The rest of the mounting plate is the same as the F-Sport struts so they are compatible.
Old 08-19-14, 01:47 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Originally Posted by rjk
The AVS is a little motor mounted to the top of the strut tower that turns a screw on AVS-compatible struts. If you install incompatible struts, you just remove the motor and disconnect it from the wiring harness, and put it in a box for later. I don't know if disconnecting the motors will cause a check engine light or not.

If you want to check it out, just take the motor off and have a look - you will see a hole where the screw adjuster comes through the top of the strut tower. The rest of the mounting plate is the same as the F-Sport struts so they are compatible.
I can assure OP 10000%, the AVS removal will not set off a CEL. Whether the F sport struts work or not, that's dependent on the 450h suspension system. Other than that, a removal of AVS doesn't do anything. I even flip on and off the avs switch sometimes to see if it'll do something.

GL!
Old 08-19-14, 07:07 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Avs in sport mode makes the car even more harsh over the pot holes here in NY. I never felt the need to activate it. On a perfect highway it does stiffen things up a bit, but I would gladly give up the sport setting to more plush setting next to normal. Car is a bit too stiff over bad bumps.
Old 08-19-14, 01:10 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Couldn't agree with you more there tbilisi .

Some folks enjoy the perkiness of the GS's built suspension though lol.... I don't
Old 08-21-14, 06:33 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
Couldn't agree with you more there tbilisi .

Some folks enjoy the perkiness of the GS's built suspension though lol.... I don't
I love how the car is tight and all, but I'm sure you know, the 430 with 18s on bad roads is just harsh.
On good roads I have no complaints, I even put it into sport mode just for fun, but how often does that happen.
I'm not one of this people who just goes thought the bumps like its a leased car. I slow down. Unload the brakes before hitting a bump, I almost feel the pain for the car when it gets bad on the road... Guess I still love her.