Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

RS*R Coilover frustrations (Camber & Adjustment) GS350 F AWD

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-14, 04:21 PM
1320Video
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RS*R Coilover frustrations (Camber & Adjustment) GS350 F AWD

I know there aren't too many lowering options out there for the AWD GS-F's so I was excited when I saw this coil over set come out.

Overall I'm happy withe looks of the car (you can see the results in the first image below compared to a stock GSF), but I have two major gripes, maybe you guys can help with suggestions.

1. Difficult Adjustment - I didn't install these myself, a friend who used to be a Lexus tech did and he HATES them, for the simple fact that you have to remove the rear control arms to adjust these more than a couple of turns. (see images)

2. Camber Issues - This is an issue with the car, not the coilovers along with the amount I lowered the car. The dealer aligned it as much as they could, everything but camber is in-spec, camber is WAY off and I'm going to be eating up tires like crazy. I plan to raise the rear, but I haven't found time to have my friend adjust them again due to the 1.5-2 hour time it takes to do it (see issue #1)

Wondering if others have experienced the same issue and found any solutions?

Thanks,
Kyle
Attached Thumbnails RS*R Coilover frustrations (Camber & Adjustment) GS350 F AWD-gsfloweredstockvsrsr.jpg   RS*R Coilover frustrations (Camber & Adjustment) GS350 F AWD-gsf_rsr_adjust.jpg   RS*R Coilover frustrations (Camber & Adjustment) GS350 F AWD-camberkyle.jpg   RS*R Coilover frustrations (Camber & Adjustment) GS350 F AWD-gslowered.jpg  
Old 05-27-14, 08:05 PM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just met Jorran today and he has many complaints on RSR coilovers. He is getting them swapped out to RSR springs.
Old 05-28-14, 08:36 AM
1320Video
Driver School Candidate

Who's Jorran? What shocks do people typically use with those springs?

Are they using them on AWD models?
Old 05-28-14, 08:47 AM
larry13
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1320Video
Who's Jorran? What shocks do people typically use with those springs? Are they using them on AWD models?
just sent you a pm
Old 05-28-14, 07:11 PM
simonsez
Driver School Candidate

looks like your rears are slammed. uneven compared to fronts.
Old 05-29-14, 07:32 AM
Polo708
Driver

Same here... Had to purchase a RCA kit (rear camber adjustment) to get it within 3 degrees. There seems to be no rear camber adjustment
Old 05-29-14, 10:33 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Polo708
Same here... Had to purchase a RCA kit (rear camber adjustment) to get it within 3 degrees. There seems to be no rear camber adjustment
RCA kit? Details please.
Old 05-30-14, 12:13 PM
Jorran
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by G-SharK
I just met Jorran today and he has many complaints on RSR coilovers. He is getting them swapped out to RSR springs.
Hey guys, im Jorran. I just felt that since this is my daily driver and my wife and baby drive in the car regularly that we were looking more for a comfort ride rather than just the go kart cornering feel. My biggest complaint is the company and their customer service. They tell you everything you want to hear but when its times to deliver they change things up and blame it on the CFO. When you ask to speak with the CFO they say he doesn't speak English. I told them my wife speaks Japanese and then he was on a call with japan at 2am (japan time) and couldn't talk to me. To me, i only and will only buy apple products. Not be cause they are the best or offer the most, but because their customer service is amongst the best no matter what.

Long story short they told me they would return my coilovers do to the fact that i was not happy with them and then i ordered the springs and low and behold they let me know that they will not return them do to customer satisfaction. SO......... NOW I HAVE SOME COILOVERS FOR SALE AT A DISCOUNT.
Old 05-30-14, 03:01 PM
Leonboy
Driver

Thanks for sharing.thats why we have forums like this to give personal feedbacks and customer service .hope they chime in and resolve your issue.was looking into their coilovers myself.but now I'm thinking twice.
Old 05-30-14, 05:29 PM
Allb18c
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My 2 cents.

Yes the rear adjustment blows however once you have it dialed in I'm not sure you would need to go back and re-adjust. It is a little easier if the car is hoisted up vs. jack stands.

From those pics, you are too slammed at the rear. Thus, your camber is bad. If you raise it up some I'm sure the tire wear will be normal.

I've had my set since day 0 (I have the prototype set) and they haven't disappointed me at all. Happy guy over here...

Old 05-30-14, 07:39 PM
N54MPower
Lead Lap

This has NOTHING to do with RSR and everything to do with the rear suspension design that Lexus used. Any coilover design that uses the same rear shock and spring location as stock will have the same issues. If you bought BC Racing, Megan Racing or JDM whatever there name is in eBay the problem would be the same.

Unless a company deigned coilovers that mounted the spring over the rear shock (a traditional coilover) all designs that maintain the factory mounting points will have the same issue. If someone were to mount the springs and adjustment collar over the shock you would most likely have issues where they mounted to the body since that area was not designed to support that weight. It's a debate that a lot of 350Z guys have since the Z uses a similar set up to the 4G GS.

There are other threads that have discussed that the rear height is not easily adjustable on ANY coilover available for these cars. This is a research issue, not an RSR issue. I have them on my car and love them. I also knew what I was getting into before buying them.
Old 05-30-14, 07:49 PM
LexFather

I agree, this thread title is mis-leading. Your thoughts are valid but it does have to do with the design of the GS suspension. Every Lexus that is lowered has camber issues for the most part, even stock cars!

I have nothing but the highest recommendations for RSR, I've dealt with some other suspension companies and were either not pleased or just had an average experience.
Old 05-30-14, 08:31 PM
Polo708
Driver

Originally Posted by terrycs
RCA kit? Details please.
I take it back... company sold me a kit that was for a 2012 GS and told me they were compatible. They weren't
Old 06-01-14, 12:27 PM
1320Video
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'm well aware it's too low in the rear, I haven't had the time to adjust it due to the other issue. A link to the RCA kit would be awesome
Old 06-06-14, 07:44 PM
1320Video
Driver School Candidate

Adjustment #4 and 1.5-2 hours per adjustment and it's still not right. I'm so F'ing fed up with these coilovers

Quick Reply: RS*R Coilover frustrations (Camber & Adjustment) GS350 F AWD