Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
Old 12-12-14, 03:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

DIY Guide: 2014 GS350 F-Sport Lowering Spring Install Guide

Old 04-22-14, 07:22 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby337
I accidentally flipped over the front shocks and fluid was coming out from the top. Anyone experienced this? Not sure what fluid to fill back and where. Looks like hydraulic fluid.
No fluid when i installed mine... Hope its nothing serious.
Old 04-23-14, 12:19 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I accidentally flipped over the front shocks and fluid was coming out from the top. Anyone experienced this? Not sure what fluid to fill back and where. Looks like hydraulic fluid.
if you can push the shock with your hand, it's a bad shock. That's a bad shock, it shouldn't leak out fluid. How was it driving before? must be floaty.
Old 04-26-14, 11:20 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

The shock shouldn't leak any fluid at all. Did you damage the rod on the shock when reassembling the top hat? If you overtorque it, there is a possibility of hairline fracturing the rod which can cause fluid to leak.
Old 04-27-14, 03:41 PM
BailsVT
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did anyone cut the bump stops on the struts when they lowered their car?
Old 04-28-14, 07:30 AM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by BailsVT
Did anyone cut the bump stops on the struts when they lowered their car?
I did not...
Old 04-28-14, 12:07 PM
Bobby337
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sam430
if you can push the shock with your hand, it's a bad shock. That's a bad shock, it shouldn't leak out fluid. How was it driving before? must be floaty.
I can't push it with my hand. I drive smooth before and after. I didnt over tighten. Very strange. One of the mechanic thinks it just a lubricate for the actuator contacting each other. Since its metal to metal.
Old 04-28-14, 12:08 PM
Bobby337
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
I did not...
I didnt also. Plus it doesn't feel like it bottoming out.
Old 04-28-14, 04:36 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I can't push it with my hand. I drive smooth before and after. I didnt over tighten. Very strange. One of the mechanic thinks it just a lubricate for the actuator contacting each other. Since its metal to metal.
I have a pimp hand so try this, flip it and push it using your weight.
Old 05-08-14, 06:51 PM
myfly350
Rookie

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Here is the new spring installed with the shock fully assembled. Remember to note which side goes up or down. There is a skinny side and a thick side to the spring. Just follow the same direction as the stock spring. Also, remember that the spring needs to line up in the bottom perch. Then make sure that the top hat lines up the same way as the stock direction. Basically, just reinstall everything in the reverse order of dissasembly. Make sure to take note of how all the stock stuff was oriented.

Suspension reinstalled into the car. I didn't have a chance to list all of the torque specs. It's all available in the factory service manual. I will have to get another copy since I accidentally threw the sheet away after install.

Remember to reinstall the ABS cable that you tucked away safely earlier. The connector side just clicks straight into the sensor.

Now for the rear install. I didn't get a chance to take too many photos because you have to wrestle with the rears to get them off/on. The rears are also a bit more tricky to do since the whole arm is under extreme tension. Make sure you follow the instructions carefully so the spring won't come flying out of there!

Here's another shot of the rear suspension.

You will need to remove these 2 bolts. DO NOT remove them until you have properly supported the arm from underneath. If you pull the bolts without supporting underneath, the spring will fly out violently.

You will need to remove the ABS sensor in the rear as well. These 3 bolts will take the sensor out. DO NOT miss this step! Tuck the sensor away to the side so it's out of harms way.

Remove the 17mm nut for the sway bar.

ABS sensor removed.

Use a second jack to raise up the arm until you can feel the bolts get loose. You should be able to pull the bolts straight out after you have relieved the tension. After you have removed the 2 bolts, loosen the inner 19mm nut(don't remove just loosen). Now VERY slowly let the supporting jack down. The arm will swing down and the spring will be relieved of tension. After that, the spring can be pulled out by hand easily.

So remember: RAISE jack first, remove 2 bolts, loosen inner nut, and then lower jack VERY SLOWLY.

Sorry I didn't get many photos of these steps. You have to really man handle the suspension to get it all on. So to reinstall the rear, make sure the new spring goes in the same way as the stock one. Note which side of the spring is skinny and which is wide. The stock spring has the skinny on top and wide on bottom. Put the rubber alignment cone into the top of the spring. Put the spring back into place between the body and the arm. After that, place the jack back under the arm and raise it slowly until you are able to put the bolts back into the arm. You will have to do plenty of wrestling around with the rear spindle to get the holes to line up. Torque everything back and you're good to go!

Here's a shot of the car with the install of the Tanabe NF210 springs completed.

Hopefully this guide is helpful for those of you wanting to attempt a DIY shot at the suspension install. Sorry if some of the steps aren't 100% conclusive, but most of the stuff will be self explanatory once you're in there.

are these the super down springs or just down ??..... also do you have AWD in that pic or is it RWD i was gonna drop mine so researching around thanks in advance
Old 05-09-14, 02:20 PM
mdhaliwal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myfly350
are these the super down springs or just down ??..... also do you have AWD in that pic or is it RWD i was gonna drop mine so researching around thanks in advance
Those are not Down or Super Down springs, they are Tanabe's made for RWD's. But there are quite a few people on the forum with these on their AWD's. I went with Down springs and I think the drop came out pretty decent! It was about an inch drop all around..it's not AS low as this but is is pretty damn close...

P.S. I think the car looks lower in person..these pics don't do it justice...
Old 05-10-14, 08:10 PM
myfly350
Rookie

Originally Posted by mdhaliwal
Those are not Down or Super Down springs, they are Tanabe's made for RWD's. But there are quite a few people on the forum with these on their AWD's. I went with Down springs and I think the drop came out pretty decent! It was about an inch drop all around..it's not AS low as this but is is pretty damn close...

P.S. I think the car looks lower in person..these pics don't do it justice...
is yours a AWD tho? i notice they do sit higher I'm also planing to put 20inch vessels on mine so trying to find the right drop i have AWD
Old 05-10-14, 11:40 PM
mdhaliwal
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by myfly350
is yours a AWD tho? i notice they do sit higher I'm also planing to put 20inch vessels on mine so trying to find the right drop i have AWD
Yes, mine is an AWD.
Old 05-11-14, 12:31 AM
myfly350
Rookie

Originally Posted by mdhaliwal
Yes, mine is an AWD.
whats your input on super down do you think i will be able to get away with 20s and super down?
Old 05-13-14, 06:40 PM
Polo708
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

going to attempt this in the next two days, I finally got my springs in.

I've never had to use an arm puller for an install. Is this needed or is there something else you can use instead? Do auto part stores rent arm pullers like they do spring compressors?
Old 05-13-14, 07:56 PM
neegroy
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Fantastic write up jeff! Are you done with 2nd gens and moving onto the 4th gen gss' hahahah

Last edited by neegroy; 05-13-14 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Spelling

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Guide: 2014 GS350 F-Sport Lowering Spring Install Guide