Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
Old 12-12-14, 03:24 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering and Suspension
Print Wikipost

DIY Guide: 2014 GS350 F-Sport Lowering Spring Install Guide

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-14, 08:58 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Polo708
going to attempt this in the next two days, I finally got my springs in.

I've never had to use an arm puller for an install. Is this needed or is there something else you can use instead? Do auto part stores rent arm pullers like they do spring compressors?
Not sure if they rent them out but I bought mine for about $15. Like Jeff noted, the susp parts are aluminum...didn't want to risk damaging them.
Old 05-14-14, 12:12 AM
Polo708
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
Not sure if they rent them out but I bought mine for about $15. Like Jeff noted, the susp parts are aluminum...didn't want to risk damaging them.
That's not bad, which store did you find it at? Thanks
Old 05-14-14, 06:24 AM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

That's not bad, which store did you find it at? Thanks
Autozone but pretty sure any major chain will have them...Amazon even.
Old 05-14-14, 08:04 AM
G-SharK
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

going to attempt this in the next two days, I finally got my springs in.

I've never had to use an arm puller for an install. Is this needed or is there something else you can use instead? Do auto part stores rent arm pullers like they do spring compressors?
No need for a control arm puller. All you have to do is tap on the metal that attached to the control arm (the part that runs vertical) with a hammer and the vibration will loosen it. when loosening the bolt, make sure you leave the bolt on with a little thread left so when the control arm is loose, it will catch itself. Then you can loosen the bolt to disconnect the control arm. Easy and less energy at work... Good Luck
Old 05-14-14, 10:23 AM
Polo708
Driver

Thanks guys... for those that have done this install... What was the most difficult part. I've done a few on basic civics and mustangs but I'm just worried about starting it, hitting a snag and not having a car for a day, haha.
Old 05-14-14, 10:43 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

This guide can be used for 3IS and maybe RC when it comes out since suspension setups are similar. Would also help to have torque values for these bolts.
Old 05-14-14, 12:15 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Thanks guys... for those that have done this install... What was the most difficult part. I've done a few on basic civics and mustangs but I'm just worried about starting it, hitting a snag and not having a car for a day, haha.
For me it was about having the right tools (especially an impact wrench) but there were two PITA:
For the fronts, it was definitely compressing the springs so make sure you have good spring compressors, and a good impact wrench. Also, make sure you note the position of the top cap before you remove stock spring. Use the markings on top of tower as a reference to ensure it goes on how it came off else it won't line up w/LCA.
As for the rears, aligning the bolts in the lower control arm was a pain so make sure you have a long screwdriver to help line it up (rubber mallet comes in handy here). Have fun, and look forward to seeing the final results.
Old 05-22-14, 10:51 AM
Polo708
Driver

FYI... AWD front suspension is completely different haha.
Old 06-03-14, 03:12 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

This will come in handy when I install my J5usa coilovers w/AVS support. Let's see how well it performs. Thanks Jeff!
Old 06-03-14, 03:33 PM
Dukeaudio
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sam430
This will come in handy when I install my J5usa coilovers w/AVS support. Let's see how well it performs. Thanks Jeff!
Good to know they're available. Look forward to your review. Potential upgrade for me if/when someone produces a RCA fitment.
Old 06-03-14, 04:05 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Dukeaudio
Good to know they're available. Look forward to your review. Potential upgrade for me if/when someone produces a RCA fitment.
I'm also in the market for RCA for the front and rear. Looking for about 1" drop from RCA. That way, I won't have to deal with alignment and also reduce bump steer.
Old 06-23-14, 03:07 PM
roosta23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the DIY post for the lowering of tanabe springs..I have a 2014 gs350 rwd fsport.. What do you thing is a good estimate of hours this job would take by a shop...First wheel shop quoted me 2.5 hours...Second general auto care place looked up lowering springs in the system and had it quoted at 4-5 hours but guy is a friend and will only charge the time it takes...I am also throwing on new 20" wheels at same time...Do the tanabe's need time to settle in or should i have the alignment done right away? both shops weren't ego maniacs atleast and open to me bringing in your DIY guide, knowing more info is always better ...
thanks
Jay
Old 06-23-14, 10:54 PM
shookatash
Rookie

Originally Posted by roosta23
Hi Jeff,
Thanks for the DIY post for the lowering of tanabe springs..I have a 2014 gs350 rwd fsport.. What do you thing is a good estimate of hours this job would take by a shop...First wheel shop quoted me 2.5 hours...Second general auto care place looked up lowering springs in the system and had it quoted at 4-5 hours but guy is a friend and will only charge the time it takes...I am also throwing on new 20" wheels at same time...Do the tanabe's need time to settle in or should i have the alignment done right away? both shops weren't ego maniacs atleast and open to me bringing in your DIY guide, knowing more info is always better ...
thanks
Jay

Depends on the shop's confidence. My shop quoted $250 for spring install which equates to 2.5-3 hours if shop rates are ~$100/hr. Drive the car for a week or two to let them springs settle and then get an alignment. Then take pics and share!
Old 07-25-14, 07:19 AM
lazerlazer
Driver

FYI... AWD front suspension is completely different haha.
I got my RSR super downs coming for my AWD what is the difference with the install?
Old 08-26-14, 01:00 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

It usually takes me about 2-3 hours to do the install with one guy on the job. If I have 2 people on the job and split the work load, then it can be done in about 1-1.5 hours. Just depends on how busy everyone is around the shop.

Originally Posted by neegroy
Fantastic write up jeff! Are you done with 2nd gens and moving onto the 4th gen gss' hahahah
I'm still doing 2nd Gens. I'm about to break 1000whp on mine through the auto trans. I do a little bit of everything these days lol. I have a GS450H as my daily driver. Looking to pick up a RC-F to do some R&D in the near future.

Quick Reply: DIY Guide: 2014 GS350 F-Sport Lowering Spring Install Guide