Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

For those of you that are very low

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-14, 09:47 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For those of you that are very low

Have you guys needed to replace your axles? If so, what did you go with? My axles are starting to leak and I am honestly not interested in raising my car up, or selling my suspension, but if there isn't a solution I can find, I am thinking I may just do that sadly.

Is there a place where I can get custom axles for our cars that are low? I just emailed raxles an inquiry, but am not sure if they even offer a solution. From what I can tell, the best bet is to buy oem. I don't have the time to keep replacing autozone axles every so often even if they do have the lifetime warranty. Time is very hard to make for me..

Are you guys that drive lowered using your cars daily? I have not read about 3GS owners that had to replace their axles, so this may be a good thread to talk about it..
Old 03-18-14, 12:32 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

How low are you squattin Skylar?

You said LEAK, did the axle's boot rip? Are they making a clicking noise? if not of either, you're fine. If you snagged the axle's boot and ripped it it's replacable. Just make sure you do it before it's too late and the axle clicks.

What i'd do is, if it's ripped, is use a SS mesh and cover it up or something, so that if anything scrapes you scrape the SS mesh, whatever form of cover you choose
Old 03-18-14, 03:38 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Skylar978
I don't have the time to keep replacing autozone axles every so often even if they do have the lifetime warranty
well they may not warranty it if your too low. they dont know that and will probably replace it at first but when you keep coming back, they may refuse

Originally Posted by Skylar978
Are you guys that drive lowered using your cars daily?
i didnt daily my car
Old 03-18-14, 08:05 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
How low are you squattin Skylar?

You said LEAK, did the axle's boot rip? Are they making a clicking noise? if not of either, you're fine. If you snagged the axle's boot and ripped it it's replacable. Just make sure you do it before it's too late and the axle clicks.

What i'd do is, if it's ripped, is use a SS mesh and cover it up or something, so that if anything scrapes you scrape the SS mesh, whatever form of cover you choose
Not really making any clicking noises, but I noticed some grease around them. They are however vibrating upon acceleration, but I'm not sure if that has to do with the "wobble" everyone speaks of with AWD.

I am maxed out in front on bc coils, and brought the rear down to match the fronts. Pretty much tucking the top inch or half inch of the tires all around. Stock factory 17s btw. I was skeptic to how they would ride with all these stories about vibration when at a stop light in gear, but it really isn't bad. I've owned cars that felt worse just idling at a stop light with some aggressive cams and supporting mods lol

Not sure if the boots ripped, but if I find they did, where can I pick up those SS meshes that you're referring to?

Thanks again!
Old 03-18-14, 08:09 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI

well they may not warranty it if your too low. they dont know that and will probably replace it at first but when you keep coming back, they may refuse

i didnt daily my car
They will warranty it at least 5 times lol they won't know that its because of my ride height. It's arguable. Most likely wont buy through autozone or advanced auto either way.. I know they are not that good quality especially for how I am using them..

I daily it now. Used to be my wife's car, but I upgraded fot her and then modded the gs!
Old 03-18-14, 10:45 AM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drove my GS daily and didn't experience major issues till about 40K after lowering it. I wasn't as low as you are and I was riding on 20s. I was having the same symptoms as you, wobble upon acceleration. Mostly felt around 5-20 mph and again around 45-55. Every car will react differently, but given my experience I will say it did get worse as time went on. I have a lot of grease that squirted out, but the boots never ripped. If you run axles without grease, it will wear them out faster and click. I could care less about clicking though, run those F'ers till they seize (btw, I've never had a set do it). Back when I use to mod hondas, I'd roll at the bottom of my coils and never had axles bust, just a ton of ripped boots and grease everywhere.

Anyway, my opinion, if you are so concerned about these axles you can do a few things, raise the car and sell for a RWD model, suck it up and drive it like you DGF and replace axles as needed. Either way, you're not going to get around the issues of it being lowered.
Old 03-18-14, 11:50 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Kcook700
I drove my GS daily and didn't experience major issues till about 40K after lowering it. I wasn't as low as you are and I was riding on 20s. I was having the same symptoms as you, wobble upon acceleration. Mostly felt around 5-20 mph and again around 45-55. Every car will react differently, but given my experience I will say it did get worse as time went on. I have a lot of grease that squirted out, but the boots never ripped. If you run axles without grease, it will wear them out faster and click. I could care less about clicking though, run those F'ers till they seize (btw, I've never had a set do it). Back when I use to mod hondas, I'd roll at the bottom of my coils and never had axles bust, just a ton of ripped boots and grease everywhere.

Anyway, my opinion, if you are so concerned about these axles you can do a few things, raise the car and sell for a RWD model, suck it up and drive it like you DGF and replace axles as needed. Either way, you're not going to get around the issues of it being lowered.
So, did you lower it at 40k miles, or did you experience problems after 40k miles of being lowered?

It does not seem like a big deal to me, but the last thing I want is to be stranded somewhere over something that I knew could have been prevented. I am considering selling the car or trading it in, but that's not going to stop me from modding the next car..

Even if I traded it in a rwd model, I would eventually have to deal with some sort of suspension problems if I lowered it extremely. Just so happens, it will be less prone to happen as early as it did for an awd model.
Old 03-18-14, 12:43 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

im sure it wont leave you stranded as it will more than likely show signs of needing replacing and let you know well before it leaves you stranded.
Old 03-18-14, 05:25 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

For those of you that are very low-image-1624861295.jpg

Leaky leaky
Old 03-19-14, 01:26 AM
XxGoKoUxX

it looks like you just lost the crimp. I'd regrease and recrimp. cheaper that way lol.

wobbles most likely AWD issues
Old 03-19-14, 08:58 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

it looks like you just lost the crimp. I'd regrease and recrimp. cheaper that way lol.

wobbles most likely AWD issues
Sorry for being a newb as I don't know details, or specifics, but how would I go about doing this? Where exactly do I grease these things and where is the crimp?
Old 03-19-14, 09:00 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Btw, I thought my car looked better than it did in the pics, but I guess all those New England snow storms with all the salt everywhere took its toll.. I need to move down where you are gokou lol
Old 03-19-14, 03:27 PM
Kcook700
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skylar - I experienced the issues after 40K of driving the car lowered. Aside camber issues, you won't experience anything like this with a RWD. And it doesn't look like a clip is off your axle, it could be hidden under the grease and dirt. Hard to say without cleaning it first.

BTW, you're right about your suspension, mine looks pristine compared to yours. Must be all that salt.

187 - Actually the severity of the axle issue came about in one day. Although I knew something was going on, I didn't know to what degree.
Old 03-22-14, 12:33 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Axle grease, clean it and if there's no crimp, recrimp it.

Doesn't look like a crimps there though lol.

Old 03-23-14, 09:08 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Axle grease, clean it and if there's no crimp, recrimp it.

Doesn't look like a crimps there though lol.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-S-ofMoWsr0
Looking for some time to do this. I need a new floor jack, or need to buy some wood so I can ride onto them to fit my jack under 😲

Quick Reply: For those of you that are very low