Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

AWD lowered...any vibrations or wobble

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-13, 07:11 PM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default AWD lowered...any vibrations or wobble

Hey guys, seems like a few members are lowering their 4gs....are you experiencing any vibration or wobble? I have a 2013 awd on 20s at stock height, I had an 08 awd on tanabes nf210 and had a lot of wobble and vibration in the winter.
Old 07-18-13, 08:57 PM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can someone please educate me on how lowering an AWD with conventional RWD springs can possibly create vibration (or other?) problems?

Last edited by terrycs; 07-19-13 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-19-13, 04:13 AM
Stew4HD
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycs
Can someone please educate me on why lowering an AWD with conventional RWD springs can possibly create vibration (or other?) problems?
I agree, if there is a wobble, it is other parts in the suspension system that would be causing that.
Old 07-19-13, 06:48 PM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm interested in this as well. I need to drop by 13 AWD FSport so bad, can't stand the stock height. RSR makes some coilovers for the AWD models so I've been considering going this route. From what I understand, RSR AWD springs will soon be available. What concerns me is that a camber kit is not yet available.

Last edited by homeboyv; 07-19-13 at 07:02 PM.
Old 07-19-13, 08:31 PM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wobbling shouldnt be associated with lowering.
wobbling is usually associated with something that is warped and or unbalanced, ie- wheels that werent balanced, wheels that werent installed/torqued properly, worn out tires.

lowering also shouldnt cause any vibration, at least none that i can think of off the top of my head.
Old 07-20-13, 03:18 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ProperD
wobbling shouldnt be associated with lowering.
wobbling is usually associated with something that is warped and or unbalanced, ie- wheels that werent balanced, wheels that werent installed/torqued properly, worn out tires.

lowering also shouldnt cause any vibration, at least none that i can think of off the top of my head.
Previous GS and IS AWD models had major issues in this department. People were getting vibrations and wobbles after lowering their cars. The suspension was the cause of the problem.
Old 07-20-13, 07:21 AM
terrycs
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
Previous GS and IS AWD models had major issues in this department. People were getting vibrations and wobbles after lowering their cars. The suspension was the cause of the problem.
Any more details? Were the cars lowered TOO much causing the suspension geometry to be too far out of range? Did they use alignment kits?

The suspension is completely redesigned in the 4GS so maybe the root cause is no longer there?
Old 07-20-13, 09:36 AM
mikedozz
Instructor

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a mild drop with nf210. Maybe 1.4 inches if I remember, it had something to do with the cv joints. That's great if the new GS has a new suspension, maybe I'll give it a try again.
Old 07-20-13, 10:21 AM
Dawa
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R
ah i see. that is the sucks
Old 07-20-13, 07:20 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

AWD are not intended to be dropped, nor are they intended to have a staggered wheel set up, even though i know other car manufacturers do it. the AWD components come into play when you drop an AWD, lowering or even staggering will put more strain on the components, suspension etc. i have a staggered wheel set up on my LS, but that's where i draw the line. i don't think i'll ever drop her unless i got an iron clad guarantee that there will be no wobbling, vibrations etc. i've had no problems (knock on wood) with the car on a staggered set up. i can't see myself buying a brand new car and adding a modification that i know has the potential to cause problems, that is a chance i will not take. i don't think there will ever be lowering springs for our cars.
Old 07-20-13, 08:42 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Well rsr assured me there are no issues with the awd coilovers and a few members who have the coilovers or springs ( guys who put rwd springs on there awd). So when I get my rsr coilovers I will let you all know how it goes.
Old 07-20-13, 08:44 PM
0mghi2u
Lead Lap

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
AWD are not intended to be dropped, nor are they intended to have a staggered wheel set up, even though i know other car manufacturers do it. the AWD components come into play when you drop an AWD, lowering or even staggering will put more strain on the components, suspension etc. i have a staggered wheel set up on my LS, but that's where i draw the line. i don't think i'll ever drop her unless i got an iron clad guarantee that there will be no wobbling, vibrations etc. i've had no problems (knock on wood) with the car on a staggered set up. i can't see myself buying a brand new car and adding a modification that i know has the potential to cause problems, that is a chance i will not take. i don't think there will ever be lowering springs for our cars.
Well I'm new to Lexus but my friends who have evos or g35-g37 awd has had no issues when they lowered there cars. And I spoken with a few 3GS and is awd owners who is lowered not slammed and they said they haven't had any vibration or any mechanical issues.
Old 07-28-13, 02:27 AM
alanarias2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
Well I'm new to Lexus but my friends who have evos or g35-g37 awd has had no issues when they lowered there cars. And I spoken with a few 3GS and is awd owners who is lowered not slammed and they said they haven't had any vibration or any mechanical issues.
on the gen3 gs ive had real bad experience when I lowered the awd.

I hope that with gen4 is different since ive seen a few already dropped with no issues.
Old 09-11-13, 10:28 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 0mghi2u
this is true, i know a few people who are having no problems with a lowered set up. it's like hit or miss, or they've installed camber kits, control arms etc. i do know that volvo, chrysler and s couple of others have lowering springs for their AWD, but not Lexus... strange.
Old 10-05-13, 08:58 PM
GSTONY
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
this is true, i know a few people who are havinh no problems with a lowered set up. it's like hit or miss, or they've installed camber kits, control arms etc. i do know that volvo, chrysler and s couple of others have lowering springs for their AWD, but not Lexus... strange.
Hey syd I ran springs and coilovers on my gs awd, only problem I had with springs was the front sat higher then the rear and that was really buggin me. So I got coils wich I should have done in the beginning there much superior to the oem suspension, also no creaks or vibration or any noise what so ever, and im slammed in the front.

Quick Reply: AWD lowered...any vibrations or wobble