Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Question about shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-13, 11:54 PM
LADavidGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about shocks

Just discovered that my 06 gs300 needs new shocks. Any recommendations? KYB, Blistein, or etc? My GS is bone stock.. THanks.
Old 07-14-13, 12:03 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Want to keep it bone stock? This is the perfect time for Coilovers if you like the adjustability options (and IMO, the more reliable route).
Old 07-14-13, 12:08 AM
LADavidGS
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

not planning to drop the car anytime soon. Any recommendations?
Old 07-14-13, 12:19 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

You can purchase coilovers and keep it at factory ride height.

However, if you would want a direct drop-in....

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...em-shocks.html

Originally Posted by GS300ken
Hi guys,

I've just tackled the rear shocks today by myself. The installation took around 4 hours since I had to gather tools, took pictures, and run in and out the house due to the heat.

I went with KYB Gas A Just shocks since they are the same as Lexus and they are made in Japan. I ordered my set from KYB Outlet or justsuspension dot com for around $360 shipped and waiting time was 2 weeks. They are very professional even I was worried when I read reviews about them online; however, my experience with them is great.

Now let start the installation process. Push down your new shocks several times to break in, otherwise, your first few miles will be harsh. I rent the spring compressor from Autozone for $55 and they will return my money after I'm done. You need the following tools:

19mm, 17mm, 14mm, 12mm, 10mm deep sockets. Adjustable wrench, breaker bar or big flat screw drivers, jack(very useful tool), allen wrench driver/socket, 1/2" and 3/8" wrench with some extension, WD-40, lubricant, and a lot of elbow grease. I recommend air tools, I have electricity impact wrench and it helped a lot.

1. Remove trunk tray to access rear upper mount. You don't have to remove all mats. Just remove two pieces above the struts. Remove three 14mm bolts that are holding the shocks. Don't worry about the shock falling down since it is held by another two screws below. Loose the main shock bolt a little bit to help with remove the old shock later. Don't ever completely remove this bolt, the spring will expand and you don't want it to happen to you or your Lexus GS.

2. Remove the wheel lug nuts, jack up the car, put on a secure jackstand. Spray WD40 or penetrated fluids. Wait for 10 to 15 minutes for the fluids. Remove the 12mm sway bar bolt then remove two 19mm bolts that hold the shock and the wheel hub. These two 19mm are tough and you definitely need air tools or eletric impact wrench. You also need to have two 19mm sockets because these bolts will spin when you try remove them. After you remove them, the wheel hub will lift up a little.

3. Remove the rearwheel splash, it is held by three 10mm bolts, lift it up and you will see two 12mm bolts that are holding the shock. Remove them using a 1 or 2 inch extension with your wrench. Use a breaker bar to push down the main part that holds the shocks, wheel hub, and sway joint while careful slide the whole shock out. Have a helper will speed up the installation. I did not have anyone so I use my foot to push down and remove the shock. Also remove a plastic cover near the sway bar, it is hold by 10mm.

4. Old shock is out of the car, put on the floor or a vice. I just leave it on the floor. Compress the spring slowly using spring compressors across from each other. People use air tools to compress springs, I just use my 3/8 wrench since I did not want the spring bursted and injured me. After the spring is compressed, mark location of the lower and upper rubber mounts, spring position before remove trying to loosen the upper bolt. Loose the main bolt, washer, rubber mount, bump stop, and lift up the spring. Put the spring in a safe location. I just put it in a box. You see that my old shock is worn and leaked. All old parts are in good conditions. I bought the new bump stops and I've decide to use new ones even my old ones are still good. I sprayed all the rubber parts with silicon fluid to extend their lives and ease the noises.

5. Put the shock back together. I use an allen socket to hold the upper part and 17mm wrench to tight it up. Don't overtighten yet. Make sure all lower and upper mounts dont move and match up with the main mount. Otherwise, you need to start all over again. Release the spring compress slowly to help with the process.Voila, there is your new shock.

6. Slide the whole shock back into the wheel well. Slide the bottom in first then top. Watch out for brake line. Put three 14mm bolts back on the top inside your trunks, don't overtighten them yet since we need room to adjust the shock. Use break bar to push down the main part that hold the shock and wheel hub, slide the shock into its position, put the 19mm bolt back in, tighten it up. Now the fun part, use a jackstand to push up the main part to the wheel hub. Try to wiggle it until it is aligned. I had trouble with my first rear shock. Put another 19mm back in, don't overtighten it. Put 12mm joint sway bar bolt in. This is a piece of cake since everything else is aligned.

7. Put two 12mm bolts that hold the shock back, three 10mm bolts that hold the wheel splash, put one 10mm that holds plastic cover in the bottom near sway bar joint. Put your wheel back and remove the jack stand. Do same thing for another side.

Drive around bumps or bad road for several miles to weight in the new shocks. Go home and tighten all the bolts again with their recommended torque. This is a very important step because you want your new shocks to match with your old suspension. If you tight up everything when the car is on jackstand, it will mess up the alignment. Check again for bolts and make sure you don't forget anything else. Enjoy your new shocks.