Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

2010 GS AWD drop on Vossens setup?

Old 03-21-13, 12:25 PM
AllWheelGS
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2010 GS AWD drop on Vossens setup?

Alright... recently I picked up a 2010 GS350 AWD, vehicle is absolutely amazing! However, the donked out suspension has got to go. I've been looking at a lot of wheels and researching how to lower the AWD as best as possible. This site has been extremely helpful in the process but now i'm at a point of consolidating everything together so that I do everything right once from the beginning. Plus I would prefer not to spend a load of money that just causes problems, so heres what I got...

Wheels: everyone was talking up Vossen's, so i decided to take a look. My eyes quickly fixated on VVS083. Originally I wanted a black wheel however once I saw them on Ikapimp216's ride I almost lost myself. That setup was exactly what I envisioned! Now I understand staggered setups on awd can be done successfully, you just have pay closer attention to rolling tire diameters. If I go with VVS083 fronts: 20X9 & rears: 20X10.5 then the most ideal tire setup sounds like ....? Also I lack knowledge with offsets and how AWD can be effected.

Lowering: Seems like Tanabe's NF210 springs sound like the best option for AWD while steering away from any aggressive drops. Their website says GS 350 have a 1.1 front drop and 0.8 rear, however i'm assuming its a little bit more for awd considering the car sits higher naturally then the rwd versions. Reading many of the posts on here it seems like as long as you don't drop aggressively, have proper tire diameters, & of course have an alignment done most people seem satisfied with the outcome?

RCA's: are they necessary, I've came across a few posts on these and it seems like they are helpful but not the biggest impact to ride quality. It almost seems like you can get away from having to use these as long as you plan out your drop and wheel setup properly.

Shaved fenders: I'm not going for a huge drop however stuffing that kind of wheel while have a few passengers in the car could require this mod? or am I overthinking it???

Ultimately i'm looking for insight from everyone so I invite members, guests, vendors, etc to chime in and let me know what I can do to pull this off the right way in one shot! Appreciate the feedback!!
Old 03-21-13, 01:40 PM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear you're considering our wheels! We've definitely fitted quite a few 3rd Gen GS's, and a few AWD's too. As long as you choose the right tire size to match up with the OEM rolling diameter, you should be fine.

Lex Luga's AWD GS on Vossen CV1's + Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta F:245 30 20 R: 285 25 20
Originally Posted by Lex Luga

This is CL member msgs350's AWD GS. Now I know these are different wheels, but they're still one of ours, on an AWD 3GS, and we offer the VVS083's in the same sizes/offsets. His fenders are rolled though, and I believe those springs he mentioned are lower than the ones you mentioned, so you may need to look into it.

Originally Posted by msgs350
Yes, AWD. 20x9 +38 on 225/35 and 20x10.5 +45 on 265/30 Continental DWS. Cost will vary with tire choice but PM a vendor on here and they will have some of the best prices and Vossen Customer Service is great.

I'm lowered on Tanabe DF210 Springs.

And here's one with the 19" version of the VVS083 you liked. Now I know you said 20's, but this will just give you an idea of how the wheels will look on the AWD GS. I know Kevin wasn't sure about the offsets (see his post below), but going from our spec sheet, they were +32mm fronts and +38mm in the rear

Originally Posted by KevinM
I'm AWD, staggered as well. Just need tires that have the same OD.

Vossen 083 - 19x8.5 235/35 and 19x10 275/30 can't remember exact offsets, but around +35mm - can be found with a search.

Not sure what city you're in but I'm in Woodinville if you ever want to try and meet up and get an idea of fitment.

Here's a link to another guys looking to run the same wheels on an AWD 3GS > https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...lp-needed.html

And a link to the 3GS's on the forums with our wheels. I'm sure there are a few more in there that I did not mention or point out. > https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ls-on-3gs.html

I hope some of these pictures/links/info helped! If you have any other questions, feel free to pm/email us for help!
Old 03-21-13, 03:55 PM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Welcome to CL! Where in WA are you? Vossens are a great choice. You should be fine with staggered as long as your tire size matches. Check out my specs above.
Old 03-21-13, 11:59 PM
AllWheelGS
Rookie

Thanks Vossen! Very helpful reply, lots of good info to work with. I am pretty set on 83's, KevinM's setup looks good just curious as to what he has done to the suspension drop. Ultimately I would love to stuff a 20" wheel with a decent tire so that i'm not riding on rubber bands and I get a feeling i'll most likely have to roll the fenders so that when I do have passengers in the car we don't run into any clearance issues.

Also I should have mentioned in my original post but has feedback on camber wear been talked about on the 3gs? Lowering anything will obviously create some kind of uneven wear however just wondering if camber wear is big on these cars when they are dropped?

msgs350: Hey thanks! I'm around the Tacoma area in WA. Vossens are definitely looking real good right now!
Old 03-22-13, 05:50 AM
benztolex
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AllWheelGS
Thanks Vossen! Very helpful reply, lots of good info to work with. I am pretty set on 83's, KevinM's setup looks good just curious as to what he has done to the suspension drop. Ultimately I would love to stuff a 20" wheel with a decent tire so that i'm not riding on rubber bands and I get a feeling i'll most likely have to roll the fenders so that when I do have passengers in the car we don't run into any clearance issues.

Also I should have mentioned in my original post but has feedback on camber wear been talked about on the 3gs? Lowering anything will obviously create some kind of uneven wear however just wondering if camber wear is big on these cars when they are dropped?

msgs350: Hey thanks! I'm around the Tacoma area in WA. Vossens are definitely looking real good right now!
Great question about the camber. Same reason why I haven't lowered yet. Can't afford to keep buying tires. But, I've read that the issue isn't the camber but it's the "toe". But, they do offer camber kits. Ask the question in the suspension forum. Post some pics of your ride bro.
Old 03-22-13, 06:02 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

adjust the toe you'll be fine. i was tucking the tops of my tires on my 20s and stock wheels and my camber was fine.
Old 03-22-13, 11:53 PM
AllWheelGS
Rookie

What all is involved in adjusting the toe? I've never worked on suspension so i'll most likely have a shop do everything at one time...
Old 03-23-13, 01:39 AM
shivam
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, Im in the Puyallup area, So if you need any help just let me know. Always happy to see GS owners together, so let me know if you need help with anything.
Old 03-23-13, 08:18 AM
KevinM
Rookie

Originally Posted by AllWheelGS

Thanks and welcome!

Car is riding on Tanabe NF210's. It's my DD, so I didn't want anything more aggressive. Didn't want to cut or roll the fenders either, so I think this is about as far as I would get. With 2 adults in the back and stuff in the trunk it will rub slightly on the freeway/bumps.
Old 03-23-13, 08:54 AM
Vossen Wheels
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As mentioned, there are camber adjustment kits available to help with that. If you don't want to do that, a good rule of thumb I learned from a buddy of mine who was really into airbags and mini-trucks was that for every inch you lower your car, expect about a degree of camber. Now you mentioned a mild drop, about 1-1.5", which will result in about 1-1.5 degrees of camber, which is totally drivable. Now you will probably experience uneven tire wear, but not anywhere near as bad as many of the stance guys running crazy camber. Get a good set of rubber, high treadwear, and you should be fine. I know you can essentially flip the tires (put the driver's side tires on the passenger side, and vice versa) if it comes down to it and you want to get more life out of the tires.
Old 03-23-13, 08:19 PM
AllWheelGS
Rookie

Shivam: Puyallup is very close and I may just take you up on that offer sometime, what kind of setup are you running? Perhaps it can help me make my decisions a little more firm.

KevinM: Its also my DD so i'm definitely trying to plan this accordingly without having to go back and forth with wheels and ride height. Do you have any other side shots of the car with your setup? I know if I kept the stock ride height 20's wouldn't be an issue however that would make things too easy and less desirable. I wonder what Lex Luga's did on his drop with 20's in that first picture Vossen put up? It looks great but I get the feeling it will rub often...

All good info so far, really appreciate everyones feedback!!
Old 06-10-13, 05:53 PM
Jahbez
Driver School Candidate

Question, I am looking to lower my 3rd Gen 430 and I came across the black AWD 350 that looks good. Do you think the set up you have can work for the 430? I was just looking for some direction to dropping my machine the right way and not go into breaking the pockets severely. Any suggestions? Chris
Old 05-15-14, 07:06 PM
AllWheelGS
Rookie

old thread i know.... however I came across some Vossen 083 19x8.5 with a 32 offset for all four wheels. As a daily drive I guess im looking to avoid any issues with an oversized or staggered wheel setup that could possibly rub or cause damage to my axle on an awd vehicle. Any thoughts on how this might turn out? Would having 19x8.5 all around be a waste. My tires are just about out so its time to pull the trigger. All opinions welcomed! Thanks