Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

GS350 AWD Coilovers - HOW LOW SHOULD I GO???

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-13, 08:48 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS350 AWD Coilovers - HOW LOW SHOULD I GO???

Am having my AWD car lowered on Megan LP Coilovers by a shop this week and wanted to ask a few questions. Before someone asks, YES, I have read every single thread I could find (hundreds) of threads and responses of lowering Gen3 AWD GS350 and still am not sure what the answer is.

I want to lower it to probably around 2 finger gap or around 1" from top of tire to bottom of fender opening front and rear. I do not want ANY wobble. I also want the car to not become too harsh of a ride (retain as much luxurious feel as possible). I have read that it is hit and miss whether you will end up with wobble or not. I have also read that the lower you go, the higher the chance that there will be wobble. I do realize that lowering the car makes the ride inherently more harsh.

Given that I am paying for the install and alignment around $500, I want to make sure its done as well as possible the first time. Also, if they have to keep making adjustments to the car height, the price is going to rise fast. If folks already have the answer, I might be able to give the shop some suggestions going in.

For folks who run coilovers on AWD,
1. How low can you go BEFORE there is wobble? I will lower to the height just before wobble.
2. What is the best dampening setting to make ride as smooth as possible without bottoming out or becoming floaty?
3. Will I likely scrape on driveway ramps or speed bumps with 2 finger gap? I am not wanting to have to take inclines at an angle or drastically slow down for speed bumps.
4. Will 2 finger gap (Front and Rear) bottom out when riding 5 passengers.

This car is used to transport my clients around town and I really need it to remain as normal and professional as possible. As an FYI, my car is on 19's with 235 / 35 19 FRONT and 275 / 30 / 19 REARS.

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Last edited by redbaron; 03-04-13 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-04-13, 09:50 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

You should learn how to adjust the height yourself, it is not hard. If you know how to change a wheel then I am sure you will be able to lower or raise it. Once you play with it and get your desired height then take it to a alignment shop and have them align it.

$500.00 seems pretty high for labour.

Heres a video I found on youtube that show how to adjust meagan coils.

Last edited by ibidu1; 03-04-13 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-04-13, 11:41 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Well the price is for coilover install and an alignment. They are quoting it as 6 hours x $75 and the alignment is being done for free. Supposedly they are giving me 1/2 hour free labor + a free alignment($75 value) since I was referred by my tire guys. The total cost is $450 + Tax = $500.00.

My other option is to have a Lexus tech doing side work install the coilovers for $250 and have firestone do the lifetime alignment for $200. While this would be overall cheaper and I would have the lifetime alignment, Im not sure if its the best route. Many local to me do not feel firestone alignments are of high quality especially as it pertains to lowered cars.
Old 03-04-13, 11:53 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

I would have the lexus tech do the install and when you do align it, look for a shop with the latest hunter alignment machine. My toyota dealer has one and they charge $125 for a one time alignment on their hunter rack.

It doesnt take much skill to align a car. Being lowered doesn't matter, worst case it could just mean you maybe maxed out on certain adjustments, then you may need to buy aftermarket brackets to help correct that alignment.
Old 03-05-13, 03:42 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

everything your asking is subjective to the person

Originally Posted by redbaron
For folks who run coilovers on AWD,
1. How low can you go BEFORE there is wobble? I will lower to the height just before wobble.
theres reports of wobbling even on stock suspensions. most are able to lower about 1" to 1.5" without noticing too much of a difference. again its subjective to what the person notices.

2. What is the best dampening setting to make ride as smooth as possible without bottoming out or becoming floaty?
i cant comment on this as i had bcr coils

3. Will I likely scrape on driveway ramps or speed bumps with 2 finger gap? I am not wanting to have to take inclines at an angle or drastically slow down for speed bumps.
if its a 2 finger gap then the drop really isnt that much but i would still low down for speed bumps. if not, your just ensuring wearing your shocks out quicker.

4. Will 2 finger gap (Front and Rear) bottom out when riding 5 passengers.
again it depends. when i use to ride 4 people in my car it would rub on big dips or bumps

This car is used to transport my clients around town and I really need it to remain as normal and professional as possible. As an FYI, my car is on 19's with 235 / 35 19 FRONT and 275 / 30 / 19 REARS.
no offense but if its for clients to ride in, id leave it stock. i wouldnt want to ride around in my customers car thats all modded while im out on business.
Old 03-05-13, 06:33 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
everything your asking is subjective to the person

theres reports of wobbling even on stock suspensions. most are able to lower about 1" to 1.5" without noticing too much of a difference. again its subjective to what the person notices.

i cant comment on this as i had bcr coils

if its a 2 finger gap then the drop really isnt that much but i would still low down for speed bumps. if not, your just ensuring wearing your shocks out quicker.

again it depends. when i use to ride 4 people in my car it would rub on big dips or bumps

no offense but if its for clients to ride in, id leave it stock. i wouldnt want to ride around in my customers car thats all modded while im out on business.

The car was purchased primarily for business, but I also plan to enjoy it for myself and family when not transporting clients around which is the other 90% of the time. My only visible mods will be tint, 19" rims, and lowering. It hopefully remain professional looking. I chose 19's to keep the car more conservative than if I were to have gone 20's. The wheels I am running are are the Volk Progressive ME in a finish which matches my Dark Grey color pretty well. It also is not the most flashy wheel.

I appreciate all your answers and is the very reason I am reaching out to the forum for advice. Yes I realize that the decision is mine to make. I also do feel that others whom have gone down this road before may have some valuable answers which will save me from some trial and error.

You had mentioned that you did rub on big dips or bumps. Can I ask how low you were?

It may now end up being that I just lower the car to even out the stance and bring it down to a height that some would even question whether it is even lowered. The main reason I want the lowering is the look, being able to corner better, and safety.

Given that not many have responded here, it looks like I may go even more conservative than I was planning before. If more folks with AWD can chime in would be better. I will note that I have had other lowered cars before, but they were always with springs, so coilovers are something new to me.

Thanks,
Old 03-05-13, 07:02 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

honestly if your just looking for a small drop, go with the RCAs. it will give your AWD a RWD stance.

as far as how low i was, this was my stance

from center of the wheel to top of wheel well was 12.125" (thats how the alignment shop measured). so 12.125" plus 10" (half the size of a 20" wheel) plus sidewall of tire (2.89") comes out pretty much 25" from ground to center of wheel well.
Old 03-05-13, 07:22 AM
redbaron
Pole Position

honestly if your just looking for a small drop, go with the RCAs. it will give your AWD a RWD stance.

as far as how low i was, this was my stance

from center of the wheel to top of wheel well was 12.125" (thats how the alignment shop measured). so 12.125" plus 10" (half the size of a 20" wheel) plus sidewall of tire (2.89") comes out pretty much 25" from ground to center of wheel well.

Did you wobble at that height? Im trying to lower to the point just before wobble occurs. I realize that it might not be very low, but im fine with that. As far as RCA's, I considered that, but I really want to get the entire car lowered to an even height even if the gap ends up being alot still.

I really dislike the fact that on my car currently the front has so much gap as compared to the rear. Also, I have the Lexus lean where one side is higher than the other. Im trying to even out the car's stance by going lower all around. The question is how low I can go without becoming harsh AND without wobble showing its ugly head.

With a lowered center of gravity, I hope to have improved handling when taking a bend at moderate speeds. Did you experiment with different ride heights when you were on BCR coilovers?
Old 03-05-13, 08:20 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

mine did not wobble as i used my axle spacers and it greatly decreased the wobble. it did wobble before i installed them from 0mph to 20mph.

the ideal lowering spot from what ive seen would be something like 1" to 1.5" many people reported no wobbling.

yes i did a few different heights with my bcrs
Old 03-05-13, 12:49 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

mine did not wobble as i used my axle spacers and it greatly decreased the wobble. it did wobble before i installed them from 0mph to 20mph.

the ideal lowering spot from what ive seen would be something like 1" to 1.5" many people reported no wobbling.

yes i did a few different heights with my bcrs
Just for clarification 1" to 1.5" do you mean gap between top of tire and middle of fender's bottom?
Old 03-05-13, 01:26 PM
worker
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

too low

Old 03-06-13, 02:30 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Just for clarification 1" to 1.5" do you mean gap between top of tire and middle of fender's bottom?
no a 1 to 1.5" drop from stock height. again its all subjective to what you feel. no one can say it will or wont.

theres a whole Master AWD Thread that may help you out.
Old 03-06-13, 01:17 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

Thanks to those who responded. I decided to lower the rear by 1/4 inch and the front by 1 1/4 inch.

I would have gone more if not for fear of the wobble issue. For dampening, I went to 25 out of 32 in hopes of being soft riding. The car will be aligned immediately following install by the same company that is installing the coilovers. I will report back my end result and then post a photo as reference for others who might go down this road in the future.
Old 03-06-13, 01:18 PM
redbaron
Pole Position

no a 1 to 1.5" drop from stock height. again its all subjective to what you feel. no one can say it will or wont.

theres a whole Master AWD Thread that may help you out.

Thanks man. I did read that entire thread multiple times during my quest for lowering this car. Your contribution toward finding a solution for us AWD owners was impressive and generous.
Old 03-06-13, 01:31 PM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

For dampening, I went to 25 out of 32 in hopes of being soft riding. .
32 being the softest setting?

I know for my BCRs i turned everything to soft at first then i believe i had my fronts set to half way and the rear was set 25% up from the softest setting (if that makes any sense)

Thanks man. I did read that entire thread multiple times during my quest for lowering this car. Your contribution toward finding a solution for us AWD owners was impressive and generous.
i try lol. im shocked not more people wanted to try the solution since every complained about not having one. then i find one (it worked for me) and only a hand full of people try it. oh well

Quick Reply: GS350 AWD Coilovers - HOW LOW SHOULD I GO???