Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Megan coilovers make my car go BANGBANG!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 05:51 PM
GSLEX0586
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Megan coilovers make my car go BANGBANG!!

So i have a 06 3GS sitting on Megan coilovers LP 32way adjustable (nowhere near slammed).

Riding on 19inch wheels on stretched/35 profile tires.

If i go over a bump at literally 10-15mph, you hear very loud banging noises upfront. it basically feels like the coilovers arent absorbing and doing their job. i can literally hear lose parts in my glovebox feeling all the impact and its pretty painful when i go over small bumps and it feels like wheels just cracked into pieces from the impact.

I know this isnt normal and these are brand new coils - im suspecting that theyre not adjusted right. Anyone with coils want to give some advise on how to go about adjusting these?

I have tried to play with the preload (raise the rings just enough to where the spring cant move) but still samething. My damper settings are nowhere near the hardest neither.
Old 06-28-12, 09:38 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

have you tried raising the car up? How low is the car?
Old 06-29-12, 07:37 AM
GSLEX0586
Driver

i don't need it to ride absolutely perfect - i jus need to eliminate the sound that it makes. the car is set pretty soft at the moment. i'm thinking of just bagging this thing :/
Old 06-30-12, 09:17 AM
niccuhles
Driver

Its the upper control arm hitting against the shock tower. Very common in 3GS, from my understanding you can either cut a hole in the shock tower or get RCAs to lower the arms. I have the same issue with my car, sounds horrible :/
Old 06-30-12, 09:27 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks pretty low to be honest. I have the same issue as you when I recently installed spacers. Bottoming out and hearing a bang on big dips. You really gotta just set it firmer if you want to ride as low as you are.
Old 07-01-12, 10:48 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by niccuhles
Its the upper control arm hitting against the shock tower. Very common in 3GS, from my understanding you can either cut a hole in the shock tower or get RCAs to lower the arms. I have the same issue with my car, sounds horrible :/
exactly why I said he needed to raise it up. I was hoping someone would chime in with that control arm comment
Old 07-01-12, 06:41 PM
mr nut
Pole Position

when you lower the car, the upper "A" arm sits close to the top of the fender well...it will then bottom out on bumps and dips..You can set the preload higher, to give the suspension less room to travel, but it will create a harsher ride.

This is very common on alot of different lexus vehicles. Some people cut holes, some people modify the knuckle...some just raise their car up.
Old 07-09-12, 12:29 PM
GSLEX0586
Driver

thanks guys...ill probably preload the springs...any recommendations on how much i should preload the front with my stance?
Old 07-10-12, 03:19 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

i wouldnt preload anymore than 3mm. you'll decrease the life of the shock not to mention the ride will be a lot rougher. i say just get some RCA's and raise the car back up a bit. If you get 20mm RCAs and raise the suspension up 20mm, you'll still sit at the same spot.
Old 07-10-12, 10:10 AM
GSLEX0586
Driver

Copy.

Got any recommendations for RCAs?
Old 07-13-12, 03:34 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Can someone explain what is the point of lowering the car so low that you cannt even drive it properly??
Is it to impress others at owners expense? Or do people run SCCA events on daily basis with those setups?
Just curious.
Old 07-16-12, 03:34 PM
redb202
Pit Crew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

just throwing out some ideas here, i'm having the same problem with my GS. if i had the resources to do this, i would be working on this. anyone thought of making a front knuckle/spindle that is shorter than the stock one to create more clearance between the upper control arm and the wheel well?

now only if i can find someone that is AWESOME at welding aluminum...
Old 08-01-12, 10:59 AM
ITWORKS
Rookie

If it's hiting that hard you should be able to jack up the car, remove the wheel, and see exactly where it's hitting. RCA's wont change the action of the upper control arm. The spindle is attached to the UCA via the ball joint. The RCA goes between the steering knuckle / LCA assembly and the spindle. When the spindle goes up 20mm the UCA has to go with it. RCA's IMO are good for a slight drop closing the gap and not having to get into changing the springs or getting that extra drop for an adjustable set up ( air/ hydro's ) but not for stance cars. I agree with everyone else though, the car is too low. You can keep it like that but you're gonna have to mod it some more for a comfortable ride.
Old 08-01-12, 11:19 AM
GSLEX0586
Driver

thanks for your input guys. i may simply preload it more and raise the car half an inch up
Old 10-16-12, 11:12 AM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

how bad is this for the car? control arm hitting the chassis and/or bottoming out?

Quick Reply: Megan coilovers make my car go BANGBANG!!