Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

3GS appreciation to suspension mods

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-12, 10:57 AM
glau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3GS appreciation to suspension mods

Just wanted to share my rant with my fellow 3GS owners. I'm a victim of the engine rattle during intermittent starts in my 07 3GS...something to do the factory cam specs not torqued enough, according to my Lexus service rep.

Anyway, they're working on it today (under warranty thanks goodness) and gave me another 3GS as a loaner. OMG what a difference in feel. My 07 is sitting on F-sport sways, 2 inch Megan EZ street coilover drop, 275/30/20's in the rear. I recently added the sways, but didn't notice much difference, until now. I took the loaner on couple of hard turns on my usual route to work and geez, the body roll can spill a cup of coffee! So for all the 3GS owners who enjoys the occasional hard turn, is on the fence about suspension upgrades.....stop thinking my friend and bite the bullet. You won't regret it. I have a new found appreciation for my GS. See you soon homie!
Old 05-31-12, 11:26 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

so sway bars really help that much huh ?
Old 05-31-12, 11:30 AM
Noojiin
Driver School Candidate

F sport sway bar made a great difference. Gave me more confidence on entering turns at high spEed
Old 05-31-12, 11:32 AM
msgs350
Pole Position

Received 196 Likes on 129 Posts

Great to hear. I'm thinking about sway bars also.
Old 05-31-12, 11:39 AM
glau
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by masboy
so sway bars really help that much huh ?
Looking at how low your car is....it may not matter much. My drop is only 2 inches with oversized tires which is really only about a 1 inch drop. My coils are set at 7 out of 10, so the sways made a huge reduction on body roll for me.
Old 05-31-12, 12:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

doesn't matter lower or not, sway bars always boost some of the most improvements in handling
Old 05-31-12, 02:43 PM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

i thought i read it somewhere sway bar on 3GS doesnt make much difference, thats why I didnt even bother to buy one. seems like it will be on my "buy list"
Old 05-31-12, 03:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by masboy
i thought i read it somewhere sway bar on 3GS doesnt make much difference, thats why I didnt even bother to buy one. seems like it will be on my "buy list"
on all the cars i have had with upgraded sway bars, i never felt much about it until the cars went back to stock. when you put on mods car got better but mentally you take it for granted. but when everything is gone and back to normal, you feel what you have missed

of course, i can't speak for the 3gs fsport sways for sure, never had them. but i am saying from a modification point of view, coilovers, sways, braces, bushings, etc... sways is most of the time high up on the list
Old 05-31-12, 04:43 PM
patricksr5
Pole Position

Biggest difference/improvement I saw was when I first installed the F Sport sways. The F Sport Springs and shocks helped and made the ride a little more stiff but the sways made all the difference in taking turns at high speed.
Old 05-31-12, 05:08 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

i really wanna do it too but i don't wanna ruin how the car ride and wear out the inner tires.....

SOMEONE GIVE ME A RIDE IN THEIR COILOVER GS!!
Old 05-31-12, 05:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
i really wanna do it too but i don't wanna ruin how the car ride and wear out the inner tires.....

SOMEONE GIVE ME A RIDE IN THEIR COILOVER GS!!
?! sway bars do not affect insider wear on tires. and on ride, unless it's stupidly thick and solid (like the original trd sways for the 2gs), it won't really affect ride much at all
Old 05-31-12, 05:39 PM
gtmax
Driver

I love how my car rides ('06 3GS, stock, 17"). However i do hate that gigantic gap on the front fenders. I had my 2GS400 dropped but it started bottom out hard. I'd like to avoid that with this car and that's why i appreciate this suspension so much - it's firm yet comfy. I am considering the 'sport' springs by TTE from Sewell. Does anyone have any experience with these or better yet, pics showing the drop?
Old 05-31-12, 05:42 PM
SCGS350
Rookie

Sweet sway bars put to good use!!
Old 05-31-12, 06:54 PM
Brabusx2
Lead Lap

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
?! sway bars do not affect insider wear on tires. and on ride, unless it's stupidly thick and solid (like the original trd sways for the 2gs), it won't really affect ride much at all
lol sorry i mean coilover.. i thought of putting tanabe NF or DF?? spring but i had experience with lowering spring killing my stock shocks too quick so maybe i might go with coilover for overall handling and comfort, and my past experience with Blistein PSS9 on my Benz it was like a spanking to my *** 24/7
Old 06-01-12, 01:12 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Brabusx2
lol sorry i mean coilover.. i thought of putting tanabe NF or DF?? spring but i had experience with lowering spring killing my stock shocks too quick so maybe i might go with coilover for overall handling and comfort, and my past experience with Blistein PSS9 on my Benz it was like a spanking to my *** 24/7
tanabe nf210 springs are only 5% stiffer than oem springs, so it should not kill your shocks. imho, nf210 offer the best solution in terms of reducing wheel gap and keeping stock ride. many members here have them installed (including myself). of course coilovers offer the best performance if you want to go that route.

Quick Reply: 3GS appreciation to suspension mods