Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Phantom Suspension. Just ordered it!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-12, 01:21 AM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

What is the different between Air runner and Phantom?
Old 06-26-12, 08:42 AM
D1GP
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JH48
What is the different between Air runner and Phantom?
Air Runner uses rubber bags and generally needs significantly more misc. parts, such as solenoids and manifold to control the pressure. Rubber materials on the bag is prone to rupture if any road debris are kicked up through the tires. Once the rubber is punctured, you are pretty much stranded on the road. However, with Air Runner, you are able to lower the car much more and have that "tucked" stance when parked...

I went with the Phantom Suspension because of the reliability and durability of the design, the kit is designed using 2 inverse cups to hold the air in place. When I am rolling, there are no air in the cups, therefore the car is sitting on my coilovers and slammed on any height I want to roll in. When I am approaching speed bumps, dips or pot holes or anything that might ruin my car or prevent me from crossing, I can raise it up quickly to get thru the obstacles. Even if the cup fails, I will still ride on my coilovers and never be stranded on the road as you might experience with air bag setups. I went to the shop and they explained to me that Phantom Suspension uses less parts, therefore, less things will breakdown or need to be replaced if they do breakdown.
Old 06-26-12, 10:39 AM
JH48
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by D1GP
Air Runner uses rubber bags and generally needs significantly more misc. parts, such as solenoids and manifold to control the pressure. Rubber materials on the bag is prone to rupture if any road debris are kicked up through the tires. Once the rubber is punctured, you are pretty much stranded on the road. However, with Air Runner, you are able to lower the car much more and have that "tucked" stance when parked...

I went with the Phantom Suspension because of the reliability and durability of the design, the kit is designed using 2 inverse cups to hold the air in place. When I am rolling, there are no air in the cups, therefore the car is sitting on my coilovers and slammed on any height I want to roll in. When I am approaching speed bumps, dips or pot holes or anything that might ruin my car or prevent me from crossing, I can raise it up quickly to get thru the obstacles. Even if the cup fails, I will still ride on my coilovers and never be stranded on the road as you might experience with air bag setups. I went to the shop and they explained to me that Phantom Suspension uses less parts, therefore, less things will breakdown or need to be replaced if they do breakdown.
Nice. Thank for the explained
Old 06-27-12, 08:06 AM
benbuilt4u
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cant these only be used for low speed to go over bumps and then have to be let down?
Old 06-27-12, 10:39 AM
D1GP
Instructor

Originally Posted by benbuilt4u
cant these only be used for low speed to go over bumps and then have to be let down?
you can definitely drive on your car when its fully up. It is not just for low speed and/or going over speed bumps....
Old 06-27-12, 01:26 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

a few quick questions for you d1gp:

can you park with the phantom in the "up" position? for example, my parking stall has a rectangular cement parking block near the front - to prevent you from bumping against the wall - a bump stop for your tires. if lowered a lot more, my rear bumper lip will rub against the cement block when i back in. So for me, it would be important to park in the raised position, even tho lowered is better looking.

if you are "slammed" on coils, how much distance can the phantom raise the vehicle? is there a set limit? or can you raise it more than stock? thx
Old 06-27-12, 02:06 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stormforge
a few quick questions for you d1gp:

can you park with the phantom in the "up" position? for example, my parking stall has a rectangular cement parking block near the front - to prevent you from bumping against the wall - a bump stop for your tires. if lowered a lot more, my rear bumper lip will rub against the cement block when i back in. So for me, it would be important to park in the raised position, even tho lowered is better looking.

if you are "slammed" on coils, how much distance can the phantom raise the vehicle? is there a set limit? or can you raise it more than stock? thx
You can definitely park the car in the UP position. I recommend you ship the coilovers to Platinum so they can mate the cup kit perfectly to your coilovers to prevent any leakage.

As for the other question on the distance, I will call Platinum and ask for you, keep you informed...
But I think it's around 3 inches, depends on the length of your springs
Old 06-27-12, 03:01 PM
TriniGS
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by D1GP
you can definitely drive on your car when its fully up. It is not just for low speed and/or going over speed bumps....
I want to pull the trigger but want to ride with it up and slammed when parked. I'm just not sure if the how the ride quality would be affected.

Site states coupon expired
Old 06-27-12, 03:20 PM
D1GP
Instructor

Originally Posted by TriniGS
I want to pull the trigger but want to ride with it up and slammed when parked. I'm just not sure if the how the ride quality would be affected.

Site states coupon expired
The car literally sits on air when you drive with it raised up. Ride is smooth, with a tad bit on the stiff side, but if you want to drive with it raised up all the time and only slam it when you park, I don't think this product is what you are looking for. It is designed for you to drive low and raise up when you need to.

I used the coupon code awhile back, but I think they are doing a summer special right now and it is just straight up $2500, no need for coupon code
Old 06-28-12, 09:05 PM
3gsJaayyyy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swtjlsy
want to see install and video. did you get front and rear?
+1 on the video
Old 06-30-12, 07:36 PM
BadAss69
Driver School Candidate

Can't wait to see the install!!!
Old 07-01-12, 11:07 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NIce man congrats. I was thinking of going cups but went Ksport strut/bag kit.

post up when it is finished.
Old 07-01-12, 01:15 PM
Mike1970
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah cups are ment to ride low on coilovers slammed then are up for speed bumps and drive ways ect.... So you don't really ride with air in the cups. The e-lever is ment for air ride systems were you ride with air in a bag or cylinder ect..... That's why you can't use a e-level system on a cup kit
Old 07-19-12, 09:41 AM
D1GP
Instructor

quick pic of the wheels and lowered...will take more pics this weekend at AutoCon
Old 07-19-12, 09:50 AM
Lex Luga
Lexus Test Driver

That's on the cup kit suspension? Can it go lower? I think I'm lower than that on my awd in NY with bc racing coils.

Quick Reply: Phantom Suspension. Just ordered it!!