Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

What a 4th Gen GS looks like w/a drop & 19" Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-12, 02:28 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default What a 4th Gen GS looks like w/a drop & 19" Wheels

Stock GS 350 F Sport:

Lowered GS 350 w/19" Wheels:

Last edited by flipside909; 02-11-12 at 02:35 AM.
Old 02-11-12, 02:33 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Stock:

Lowered:

Old 02-11-12, 07:27 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Aren't those the "premium" package 18" wheels?
Old 02-11-12, 07:50 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those "stock" pics look like puke. My lifted F150 has less fender gap.
Old 02-11-12, 09:32 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 87 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by flipside909
Stock GS 350 F Sport:

This combination of color, wheel size looks great as is. It doesn't need to be lowered IMO. What color is that? I think I may have found the color my next GS350 will be!
Old 02-12-12, 12:24 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Aren't those the "premium" package 18" wheels?
Nope, they're repainted 19" F Sport wheels.

Originally Posted by natnut
This combination of color, wheel size looks great as is. It doesn't need to be lowered IMO. What color is that? I think I may have found the color my next GS350 will be!
That GS F Sport is in Nebula Gray Pearl w/the really nice Cabernet leather interior.
Old 02-12-12, 08:57 AM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

You could drop that thing 2.5 inches and still have fender gap. How can you say the height is perfect for a sport sedan. Maybe perfect height for a prerunner.
Old 02-12-12, 10:31 AM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by sincityIS
You could drop that thing 2.5 inches and still have fender gap. How can you say the height is perfect for a sport sedan. Maybe perfect height for a prerunner.
Real sport sedans don't ride hella flush or tucked. When driving a proper sport sedan, you need a certain level of gap to accomodate for wheel movement during high speed cornering and turns. If you're rubbing, bottoming out during dips or turns, the car is working against itself to actually perform. You either are lowered too low for the chassis to handle or the wheels are too wide for the car.
Old 02-12-12, 03:11 PM
greg0126
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Real sport sedans don't ride hella flush or tucked. When driving a proper sport sedan, you need a certain level of gap to accomodate for wheel movement during high speed cornering and turns. If you're rubbing, bottoming out during dips or turns, the car is working against itself to actually perform. You either are lowered too low for the chassis to handle or the wheels are too wide for the car.
I agree. But nonetheless I think the stock setup has wayyyy too much gap.
Old 02-12-12, 03:52 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by greg0126
I agree. But nonetheless I think the stock setup has wayyyy too much gap.
LOL. I love when people just speak like they know what they are talking about, when they have NO CLUE. Lets see, what handles better, and proven to do so....A GS or an M3. The M3 right. Well take a look at the wheels wells, around an inch or less of fender gap.

Now to the other statement....what the hell does fender gap have to do with wheel travel. A BMW M3 has more travel than a Lexus IS, it handles better as well, but the wheel has less of a gap. Why you ask, because how the fender is designed and the wheel well itself can afford to have more up travel than the Japanese cars were designed to do. Not to mention the fenders seem to be cut lower. So instead of using your guestimate based on what YOU would figure based on the look. Do some research prior to making statements which are totally illegitimate an inaccurate. These forums are just full of mis information.
Old 02-12-12, 10:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

LOL. I love when people just speak like they know what they are talking about, when they have NO CLUE. Lets see, what handles better, and proven to do so....A GS or an M3. The M3 right. Well take a look at the wheels wells, around an inch or less of fender gap.
GS and M3 are two totally different cars. One a mid size luxury, M3 factory tuned performance. If I recall, there was a test done recently by car & driver where the IS F had matched the M3's laptime. IS F has way more wheel gap than M3, but it managed to match the M3's LL time at VIR:

"Boy, were we right. Lexus has since tweaked all suspension elements. Spring rates are down in the front and up in the rear, and there are larger anti-roll bars, stiffer subframe bushings, and longer bump stops, which effectively increase spring rates when the car is nearing its maximum roll angle. Lexus also lightened the front hubs and control arms and slapped a Torsen limited-slip differential in the rear axle. The result is BMW M3–matching performance around VIR (3:05.4). That’s heady company for Lexus to be keeping. Especially considering that the IS F weighs 3801 pounds (195 more than the M3) and makes only two additional horsepower, at 416."

Source: C&D

Now to the other statement....what the hell does fender gap have to do with wheel travel. A BMW M3 has more travel than a Lexus IS, it handles better as well, but the wheel has less of a gap. Why you ask, because how the fender is designed and the wheel well itself can afford to have more up travel than the Japanese cars were designed to do. Not to mention the fenders seem to be cut lower. So instead of using your guestimate based on what YOU would figure based on the look. Do some research prior to making statements which are totally illegitimate an inaccurate. These forums are just full of mis information.
A BMW M3 has more wheel travel than an IS? How so? Do you have measurements to back that up? You said it yourself. "Fenders seem to be cut lower". Sounds like you're uncertain of the facts as its only your guess from aesthetics. Slammed doesn't mean it handles better. Putting wheel spacers on a car, riding on the wrong tire specs and all season tires isn't a recipe for a sports sedan. A proper plus sized tire combo with the correct wheel offsets and summer spec tires will. Wheel spacers are a band aid for proper fitting wheels, plus they just do more damage than good in the long run.

Last edited by flipside909; 02-12-12 at 11:05 PM.
Old 02-12-12, 10:51 PM
sincityIS
Lexus Champion

GS and M3 are two totally different cars. One a mid size luxury, M3 factory tuned performance. If I recall, there was a test done recently by car & driver where the IS F had a better laptime than an M3. IS F has way more wheel gap than M3, but it managed to match the M3's LL time at VIR:

"Boy, were we right. Lexus has since tweaked all suspension elements. Spring rates are down in the front and up in the rear, and there are larger anti-roll bars, stiffer subframe bushings, and longer bump stops, which effectively increase spring rates when the car is nearing its maximum roll angle. Lexus also lightened the front hubs and control arms and slapped a Torsen limited-slip differential in the rear axle. The result is BMW M3–matching performance around VIR (3:05.4). That’s heady company for Lexus to be keeping. Especially considering that the IS F weighs 3801 pounds (195 more than the M3) and makes only two additional horsepower, at 416."

Source: C&D

A BMW M3 has more wheel travel than an IS? How so? Do you have measurements to back that up? You said it yourself. "Fenders seem to be cut lower". Sounds like you're uncertain of the facts as its only your guess from aesthetics. Slammed doesn't mean it handles better. Putting wheel spacers on a car, riding on the wrong tire specs and all season tires isn't a recipe for a sports sedan. A proper plus sized tire combo with the correct wheel offsets and summer spec tires will. Wheel spacers are a band aid for proper fitting wheels, plus they just do more damage than good in the long run.
I wasn't comparing the cars for anything other than to make a point about suspension travel having nothing to do with where the wheel appears in the wheel well, please don't misconstrue what I said.
Old 02-12-12, 11:04 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I wasn't comparing the cars for anything other than to make a point about suspension travel having nothing to do with where the wheel appears in the wheel well, please don't misconstrue what I said.
Wheel travel, suspension design & geometry, and wheel house design are everything.
Old 02-13-12, 06:28 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 172 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by natnut
The wheel gap is nasty!
Old 02-22-12, 06:21 PM
caymandive
11 Second Club

Received 62 Likes on 30 Posts

Car looks much much better lowered!

Quick Reply: What a 4th Gen GS looks like w/a drop & 19" Wheels