Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Which coil overs?

Old 11-21-11, 09:46 AM
Todd Edge
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which coil overs?

I have a newly purchased 2007 GS350 RWD. I had planned to install Tein or Tanabe springs for a moderate drop but, after looking online a bit, the coil overs seem to be the way to go. I looked and found Tein, Tanabe, Megan, and a few others.

I only want to do this once and make moderate adjustments, as needed. I'm not looking to slam the car but, lower it 1-1.5" all around and the car is daily driven so I need a proven setup. As like many others, I'd like to keep spending in moderation but, want to do this right the first time.

Can those of you with coil overs make any recommendations, including costs?

Thanks,
Todd
Old 11-21-11, 07:42 PM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

lots of BC owners love their coilovers, Teins are great, if you dont SLAM it to the ground anyway

Last edited by XxGoKoUxX; 11-25-11 at 10:16 PM.
Old 11-21-11, 07:44 PM
abounly
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

BC coils are good, i'm running them right now and they ride really smooth even on max stiffness.
Old 12-27-11, 08:55 AM
titangts
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

from what i've heard.. the megan LP streets are good..though, i myself have never ridden on them.
Old 12-27-11, 06:51 PM
Whitena
Pole Position

Planning on getting BC but waiting for reviews on them. Any BC owners like to share?
Old 12-27-11, 07:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Im a fan of JIC coils. I just removed these from a locals car and installed his OEM. He has these and a set of TEIN for sale. Most seem to have TEIN and like everything but the limits of lowering the car. Reading what your looking for the TEIN may be a good route to take and save a few dollars and purchase them used. cowsgomoo is the member if either of these help you out.
Old 12-27-11, 10:33 PM
Whitena
Pole Position

Did cowsgomoo get his tein cst repaired?
Old 12-28-11, 07:21 AM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yes I'm pretty sure it was a missing part because the prior member was using EDFC but PM him to confirm. Don't want to give wrong or bad info. He installed the JIC to take the Tein off to replace or fix if I recall correctly. Now hes back to 4 x 4 status (lol)
Old 12-28-11, 01:52 PM
m32
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just installed the HKS Hipermax and was very close to buying a used set of Tein CS. One thing to consider is the spring rate as well as the issue of reusing your stock top hat. I've noticed a lot of the coilvers have higher spring rates (BC, megan, etc) and the higher the rate, the more firm it gets. I've included a list I compiled. You may want to double check but I think I got all the right info.

Coils
HKS CLX (7 Front / 6 Rear)
Tein CST (7 Front / 7 Rear)
Tanabe Sustec Pro (8 Front / 9 Rear)
Megan EZ (10 Front / 8 Rear)
BC Racing (10 Front / 8 Rear)

Springs
Tanabe NF (4.6 Front / 5.8 Rear)
Tanabe DF (4.7 Front / 6.1 Rear)
Tein Htech (3.7 Front / 4.6 Rear)
Tein Stech (4.1 Front / 5 Rear)

The only other thing to consider is top hat. I would say 95% of the coilover set ups will require you to reuse your stock top hats on the back (I believe). If you are having a shop install your stuff, it's not a big deal but if you are doing it as a DIY, it adds a little complexity (and danger) as you need to compress the springs and remove the top hat.

Best on your search

Edwin
Old 12-28-11, 03:48 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yea good points. Taking apart the rears is a pita.

I removed the springs from my S since I sold the OEM struts and they didn't need the springs. I have them apart in 10 min. I wish the Lexus was that easy to take apart.
Old 05-05-12, 01:40 PM
1scGS450h
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was aiming to pickup megan's EZ?.. But wow 10k fronts.. thats pretty stiff?.. any idea on bc rates?.. i've heard lots of good things about bc?.. they are Euro built right?.. someone correct me on this?..
Old 05-19-12, 11:33 PM
Lex6583
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the high spring rate on the BC, how's the ride?
Old 05-20-12, 02:51 AM
XxGoKoUxX

Received 59 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by m32
I just installed the HKS Hipermax and was very close to buying a used set of Tein CS. One thing to consider is the spring rate as well as the issue of reusing your stock top hat. I've noticed a lot of the coilvers have higher spring rates (BC, megan, etc) and the higher the rate, the more firm it gets. I've included a list I compiled. You may want to double check but I think I got all the right info.

Coils
HKS CLX (7 Front / 6 Rear)
Tein CST (7 Front / 7 Rear)
Tanabe Sustec Pro (8 Front / 9 Rear)
Megan EZ (10 Front / 8 Rear)
BC Racing (10 Front / 8 Rear)

Springs
Tanabe NF (4.6 Front / 5.8 Rear)
Tanabe DF (4.7 Front / 6.1 Rear)
Tein Htech (3.7 Front / 4.6 Rear)
Tein Stech (4.1 Front / 5 Rear)

The only other thing to consider is top hat. I would say 95% of the coilover set ups will require you to reuse your stock top hats on the back (I believe). If you are having a shop install your stuff, it's not a big deal but if you are doing it as a DIY, it adds a little complexity (and danger) as you need to compress the springs and remove the top hat.

Best on your search

Edwin
BCR gives you a set of rear top hats and front top hats, the rear coilovers flip right side up, so that they sit just like the fronts. Also gives you adjustability unlike the old ones.

Originally Posted by 1scGS450h
I was aiming to pickup megan's EZ?.. But wow 10k fronts.. thats pretty stiff?.. any idea on bc rates?.. i've heard lots of good things about bc?.. they are Euro built right?.. someone correct me on this?..
Unsure about where they're made, but from a bit of reading when i was doing research, they're made in taiwan, not UK.

BCR has adjustable spring rates, you dont get SPECIFIC spring rates for your application needs. I know because I was asked and told him to give me the quickest shipment possible because I wasn't using the springs anyways.

Originally Posted by Lex6583
With the high spring rate on the BC, how's the ride?
they ride like stock, or darn close to it, many people from CL have said that over time so I'll take their word for it

Mine's isn't installed in my car right now, if you look through my air suspension thread you'll see they're still nto put together yet
Old 05-20-12, 02:26 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The 10k/8k rates on the BCR coilover give a nice controlled, slightly firmer ride on the GS, but they are still comfortable for street use. It is a really good setup for the money, best for around $1k IMO.

If you would like a kit hit us up, we can go over the different spring rates options, etc. and gett you taken care of
Old 06-18-12, 08:56 PM
1scGS450h
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by XxGoKoUxX
BCR gives you a set of rear top hats and front top hats, the rear coilovers flip right side up, so that they sit just like the fronts. Also gives you adjustability unlike the old ones.

Unsure about where they're made, but from a bit of reading when i was doing research, they're made in taiwan, not UK.

BCR has adjustable spring rates, you dont get SPECIFIC spring rates for your application needs. I know because I was asked and told him to give me the quickest shipment possible because I wasn't using the springs anyways.

they ride like stock, or darn close to it, many people from CL have said that over time so I'll take their word for it

Mine's isn't installed in my car right now, if you look through my air suspension thread you'll see they're still nto put together yet
Thanks for the update, i've def seen your air/bc build! wow! awesome built! i'm still leaning towards bc just because it comes with the whole suspension (top hat too) from the comments i've been reading.

I would love to just straight up swap one suspension for the other and keep the stock just incase the day came when i had to put those back on.

found this on BC racing website. Hope this can help some of us out.

Doesn't really quite make since but then again, with most of these charts you have to study them hahaha.

-1scGS40h

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Which coil overs?