Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

AWD Wobble/Vibration Solution - Testers Needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-14, 02:37 PM
Censee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont know much about suspension, but i heard some people with other cars have this wobble/vibration problem after lowering and they get adjustable upper control arms and it seem to help...anyone try this?
Old 01-20-14, 05:15 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

check in with the S2K guys as they have the same issue. Thats where the spacer idea came from.
Old 01-20-14, 12:06 PM
Censee
Driver School Candidate

ive read online that some mustang,buick and mini guys have used it and its helped...i don't exactly remember the thread but i saw on some of their forums it did... even some jeep owners, but thats more due to lifting than lowering, i dont know if the outcome for the axle angle change would be the same as when lowering, but they also have vibrations and wobble..tsx owners also deal with this problem so i dont think its an awd lexus thing... see http://www.heeltoeauto.com/tech-arti...and-fixed.html

Last edited by Censee; 01-20-14 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-06-14, 04:44 PM
msequence
Rookie

Keep in mind that if you are running 20s on low pro tires and do not have good suspension alignment negative camber will cause tire cupping which will amplify wobbling etc. or even cause wobbling as the cupping in the tires and uneven wear will make the car shake. Also keep this in mind.
Old 02-17-14, 10:19 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This thread makes me wanna spend more money and get bags, or trade in the car and forget about it..

Has anyone actually needed to replace anything because of this wobble/vibration? Axles, joints, etc?...
Old 02-18-14, 04:05 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

i never replaced anything except for wheel speed sensors but thats because the install of the spacers got messed up the first time
Old 02-18-14, 07:25 AM
Skylar978
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IXI187IXI
i never replaced anything except for wheel speed sensors but thats because the install of the spacers got messed up the first time
How many miles have you driven lowered?
Old 02-18-14, 07:26 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

ugh thats a good question. not sure because it was several years ago but it was close to about 10k i would say before i got rid of the car
Old 02-18-14, 06:26 PM
Skylar978
Pole Position

So, you are no longer a 3gs owner? Quite unfortunate if so, because it seems like this thread was going somewhere at a point because of you, and the other member ryan..

I am looking to lower my AWD soon. Does anyone know if i should purchase camber arms/toe arms? Looking to lower it considerably, but not as much as some guys out there that make it look like they are on airbags. Nothing against airbag guys, cuz I might go air in the future also..
Old 02-24-14, 03:54 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Skylar978
So, you are no longer a 3gs owner? Quite unfortunate if so, because it seems like this thread was going somewhere at a point because of you, and the other member ryan..

I am looking to lower my AWD soon. Does anyone know if i should purchase camber arms/toe arms? Looking to lower it considerably, but not as much as some guys out there that make it look like they are on airbags. Nothing against airbag guys, cuz I might go air in the future also..
correct, no longer a 3GS owner. never drove the car so i got rid of it while it still had some value. im not sure how Ryan ever made out with his. we use to chat back in the day but i havent heard from him in a while, i assume he moved on too.

IMO the spacers worked great for me. others have tried them and said it didnt work. I dont know if they were installed wrong or not thick enough, etc.. A number of things could lead to that and also with it being subjective to the person driving, its hard to gauge
Old 02-24-14, 07:04 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 740 Likes on 638 Posts

correct, no longer a 3GS owner. never drove the car so i got rid of it while it still had some value. im not sure how Ryan ever made out with his. we use to chat back in the day but i havent heard from him in a while, i assume he moved on too.

IMO the spacers worked great for me. others have tried them and said it didnt work. I dont know if they were installed wrong or not thick enough, etc.. A number of things could lead to that and also with it being subjective to the person driving, its hard to gauge
I wonder if it could be worn out cv axles like in the case with S2000's
Old 02-24-14, 08:14 AM
msequence
Rookie

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I wonder if it could be worn out cv axles like in the case with S2000's
NO! Lowering the 3GS takes the axles out of its normal angle, the spacers help, however only if everything else is fine with your car. As I have mentioned above most of the issues that people feel when the car is lowered is due to other aspects of the car not functioning as they should, alignment, worn out tires, and perhaps worn out shafts however the last one is unlikely.

I have bags, I have AWD lexus, I ALSO HAVE THESE spacers.

PLEASE keep in mind the wobble should only be when you are starting to accelerate the car up to about 60-80 km/hr, as the car is driving the car and shafts have enough momentum to balance everything out, unless of course you have other suspension issues. IF it constantly wobbles at all speeds and even gets worse at lower speeds as that is where the wobble is most prominant, get it checked out as that is not the problem we are all talking about here!

About air, the only benefit of that is you can ride your car with close to stock height meaning that the angle of your shafts is not as compromised as when rolling low because you are rolling at stock height. I cant really roll low as that will cause severe wobbling up to 80km/h, at first its okay than it gets rather quickly annoying. I tired to air out about half way which looks like the tires are tucking and the car is severely lowered.

What makes air good as I have mentioned above is the fact you can adjust everything and have two heights, aired out when parked and close to stock when rolling to avoid wobble. Best solution FOR ME!

The spacers did help some what to reduce the wobble but not entirely. I am up for new tires soon so I suspect i got some wobble still due to bad tires when rolling low and tire cupping, however very negligible. I will keep you guys updated.

Last edited by msequence; 02-24-14 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-24-14, 08:16 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

thats part of the issue. when lowering the car, since the axles are not long enough, it stretches the axles and puts them at a weird angle.
Old 02-25-14, 07:51 PM
msequence
Rookie

thats part of the issue. when lowering the car, since the axles are not long enough, it stretches the axles and puts them at a weird angle.
This is it exactly!
Old 02-26-14, 02:41 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

^ you bring up some very good points too

Originally Posted by msequence
most of the issues that people feel when the car is lowered is due to other aspects of the car not functioning as they should, alignment, worn out tires, and perhaps worn out shafts however the last one is unlikely.

Quick Reply: AWD Wobble/Vibration Solution - Testers Needed