Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Anyone with Swift springs on 3gs?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-18, 02:18 PM
hokiruu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slowdiver
I want at least a 2 inch drop. What other options are there other than Tanabe or Megan?
I am going to preface this by saying I don't yet have a 3GS and don't have Swift on said nonexistent car. I am waiting until Spring, pun intended, but have spent probably about $15,000 on suspension (no air) just on my various cars and trucks so far, let alone other machines I have owned and operated with modified suspensions.

Swift springs are typically not the maximum drop, but are higher quality springs and are better paired to the application, and it's stock shock, which is probably why they do not provide the maximum drop. Other brands like Tein, often do offer a bigger drop on certain applications/models, but at the expense of ride quality and performance, usually due to excessively reduced travel in relation to the shock valving, and other suspension physics.

If you want to lower by 2" or more and care about ride quality, coilovers are probably a better choice IMO. Even if someone makes 2" or more lowering springs, 1" is probably about the maximum or close to maximum drop most "luxury" or comfort-oriented struts can perform with a now-mismatched spring rate. Springs control vehicle/suspension movement, shock controls spring movement. When you use lowering springs on a stock strut and lower by 2", you are effectively reducing the stock strut's travel and ability to dampen the now-mismatched spring. This is obviously not ideal for ride quality, and in addition you are more likely to blow the stock strut sooner, which can quickly negate the perceived savings vs. coilovers. Personally I am not particularly impressed with most $2000> aftermarket coilovers' valving, but at least they are usually closer matched to the spring rate and they and the springs and shocks are better tuned to the appropriate travel. Plus you usally get camber adjustment in the top plate and appropriate shock travel.

Even without driving or seeing a 3GS on Swift springs, unless getting as low as possible by any means necessary with springs only with little regard for anything else, I would probably bet that they are more appropriately tuned to the stock truct than almost any other spring available.

Just my $.

That being said, I would love to see what anyone's experiences are with Swift springs on a 3GS before I buy mine!

Last edited by hokiruu; 11-09-18 at 02:26 PM.