Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

F-Sport Sways on GS460

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-10, 03:33 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default F-Sport Sways on GS460

I was about to buy the latest fixed F-Sport sways from Sewell, but called my dealer to get a quote on install first. They said that they "cannot and will not" install the F-Sport sways on a GS460 because it is "not a Lexus recommended fitment" and will therefore void my warranty. He also asserted they are unnecessary on the GS460.

I therefore have 3 questions:

1) Do those Lexus GS460 owners who have F-Sport sways find that there is any benefit to using F-Sport sways over stock? Does it noticeably improve handling?

2) Do F-Sport sways on a GS460 void the sway warranty and become themselves warranty-less?

3) How would I persuade my dealer to install them if the answers to 1 and 2 indicate I should still get them?

Thanks for your help.
Old 05-17-10, 03:36 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's ridiculous. Void the warranty? Say, OK, void that portion of the warranty. Who cares? Just a flipping sway bar. Find yourself another place to install them or just do it yourself. Not really hard at all.
Old 05-17-10, 03:42 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TWong1200
That's ridiculous. Void the warranty? Say, OK, void that portion of the warranty. Who cares? Just a flipping sway bar. Find yourself another place to install them or just do it yourself. Not really hard at all.
Yeah actually I care about the warranty dimension given all the issues people have had with F-Sport parts in the past. My car is only 11 months old so I want the F-Sport parts to benefit from remainder of the new car warranty.
Old 05-17-10, 03:46 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Isn't it only 12 mos warranty with FSport?

Its not that it wont work its that Lexus did not test with your model figuring they would not have the demand.
Old 05-17-10, 04:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if the part is not approved for gs460, i can see how it will void warranty should anything happens, but it's just on that specific part or defects that they can prove is due to the fsport sways

and the sways are unnecessary? it's pretty stupid for them to say so. can they prove that? the gs460 has stock sways already, so how can larger sways not necessary?

forget the dealer, just go some good local shop
Old 05-17-10, 04:07 PM
Leeladisky
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe the front sways on the 350/460 have the same part no's for stock.... If I recall correctly...therefore, it should only be an issue for the rear????
Old 05-17-10, 04:17 PM
ReyRey305
Lexus Test Driver

im pretty sure they make a difference in handling. But if they dont recommend it for your car I would not put it on. Maybe call up another dealership and see if they tell u the same thing. I would like to get it for the 350 im getting my fpsort springs on wed. Let me know how it goes with the sways... Did you ever get your HID's installed ?

Last edited by ReyRey305; 05-17-10 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-17-10, 04:23 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
Isn't it only 12 mos warranty with FSport?
It's actually the balance of the factory warranty or 12 months. They effectively treat it as a factory part covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty if it is installed by a Lexus dealer on a GS350.

Originally Posted by Leeladisky
I believe the front sways on the 350/460 have the same part no's for stock.... If I recall correctly...therefore, it should only be an issue for the rear????
Leeladisky - you have F-Sport sways on a GS460. Can you comment on whether they improved handling in any noticeable way?
Old 05-17-10, 04:44 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
It's actually the balance of the factory warranty or 12 months. They effectively treat it as a factory part covered under the bumper-to-bumper warranty if it is installed by a Lexus dealer on a GS350.
If I remember correctly... Only if the f-sport part was installed at the time of purchase of the car?

>>> Just checked, batman75 is correct... balance of the factory warranty or 12 months, whichever is greater, if installed by an authorized Lexus dealer.

Last edited by wingster; 05-17-10 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Corrected myself... batman75 was correct.
Old 05-17-10, 04:49 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by wingster
If I remember correctly... Only if the f-sport part was installed at the time of purchase of the car?
That's how I understood it also. So for most of us its only 12 months. Really I dont see what can go wrong. The OEM one was on my car for ~ 40k miles with no issues. I know have new end links with the bars so I really dont see what you can do. Install, DIY or dealer, is pretty easy. Only thing you can damage are the end links but they are replaceable.
Old 05-17-10, 04:57 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is a wheel alignment necessary after you install sways?
Old 05-17-10, 04:59 PM
*Batman*
Lexus Champion

My concern is the noise thread. It hasn't been a long enough period since the "fix" for me to be comfy doing this without warranty. I can imagine I get the sways, install them, and then have to go back three times again to fix any issues and each visit I get charged hourly labor.

Did any GS460 owners get a dealer to install it?

Is there any report by a GS460 owner on whether these sways actually improve handling?
Old 05-17-10, 05:08 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by Stormforge
is a wheel alignment necessary after you install sways?
No. Wheel alignment should not be effected per the installation of the sway bars. That doesn't mean you don't need an alignmnet... if your alignment was off before the install.
Old 05-17-10, 05:14 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by batman75
My concern is the noise thread. It hasn't been a long enough period since the "fix" for me to be comfy doing this without warranty. I can imagine I get the sways, install them, and then have to go back three times again to fix any issues and each visit I get charged hourly labor.
I installed the new bushings on my GS350RWD... No noise problems... and I'm pretty sure there will not be any, regarding the bushings. The revised bushings are a much, much, tighter fit.
Old 05-17-10, 06:28 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Yea I just received the new bushing and they are much larger. I was thinking they would be wider to prevent the bar from shifting since that seemed to be what the issue was? But with the larger busing it should prevent any movement from it being tight. Im going to take mine off in the garage since my car is still apart and see how they install compare to the ones that came and take some pics this week.

Batman- I didnt have mine installed at the dealer and they sent me the new parts at no cost to me. Only cost you may have would be to install if you paid someone. Its pretty easy to do especially to just replace the bushings. I think it would be an easy fix for someone in their home garage.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Sways on GS460