Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

KSport Coilovers - Mini Review

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 01:58 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KSport Coilovers - Mini Review

So yeah I had ordered a set off one of the vendor forums, "Rides Low" aka Chris. He was quick to reply and everything came perfectly as expected.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...rides-low.html

Anyways, on with the review.

Install: 7/10 difficulty - 10 being hardest (I have had prior experience with installing springs, coilovers, motors, etc.) No air tools were used, or needed. All I had were hand tools, which did the job well.

For me, I prefer to install whatever I can by myself because if it gets screwed up or something happens, I will be at fault. It is as simple as it gets for installation, drop out the stock units and install the new coilovers. Took me a little bit of time... 2-3hrs+ not considering the breaks and stuff. I am very tedious when it comes to working on cars so yeah, I take a long *** time to do something but I make sure its done correctly the first time around. Sorry no pictures of the install, but I will take a few shots of the car lowered a little bit more then they were on the Tanabe DF210s (for sale BTW).

What I do like about these are the options to lower either the shock itself or the spring if you wish. Not only that, you can adjust the dampening adjustment. I prefer to adjust the shock so there is plenty of suspension travel when you go across dips and bumps in the road. For the price you pay, worth every penny for a set of coilovers that you drive on EVERYDAY, fully adjustable , and a shock and spring made for going lowww. I could barely get the stock jack out from under the car and it had A LOT more room to go down if wanted.

As of right now, the car is sitting 3" lower then it was in stock form. Not bad, but then again I am on stocks because my new wheels are in production or rather parts have been ordered by the faces I have not decided. I have the dampening set at 15 clicks down from the hardest setting. This is just to test, but the quick test drive I did, I'M IN LOVE! Handling has improved, braking is a lot better. Overall, I just like how it rides! Tomorrow will be the true test as I will be going everywhere. I did notice a few scratches and scrapes under the car from when the car was on the DF210s, sooo... I'm a little concerned, but it won't stop me from riding like this.

My 360 Forged wheels and tires are for sale as well, but in the mean time I will be either on stocks or "loaner" wheels. Just realized that in January there will be a BIG Lexus/Supra meet at one of the dealers in S. FL, maybe I'll debut the new wheels then.

Also, I'm sure a few members on CL have Ksports, maybe they can add some input on them. I'd like to know their settings and how they prefer the car to be set up. I like mine a little bit more on the performance side, so stiffer is better.
Old 11-23-09, 08:27 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the review. I was looking at these at one point but couldnt find any info about running them on the 3gs. Glad you like them. Keep us posted as to how they hold up for you.
Old 11-23-09, 05:41 PM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

Awesome, glad you like them so far. For anyone else, hit me up with some requests. I'll make it happen!
Old 11-23-09, 06:07 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Glad it went well for you Its been a few months for myself and I also purchased from Rides Low. I have mine set at 5 clicks from the firmest and have not moved them since we installed them at the shop. Install did take longer then I thought but the hardest part was getting the car to sit dead level and of course I wanted it so low that we had to place pieces of wood under the tires so we could get the jack out

My ride home, that should have been all of 15 minutes, turned into an hour drive because I was way to low when I left. But it sure did look good I think your going to need to roll your front fenders now once you have your new rims on. I am just barely missing with the OEM and I couldn't turn the Work Rims with out the tires raising the car. I have actually caught the front fender more then once. Thankfully nothing happened.

If I am lucky I have ~3" or less of clearance and rub everyday going up or down my driveway. I wish we had the roads many of you in the warmer states do but I am loving it. I have had so many compliments on my car since these where installed its crazy. Our COO asked me yesterday when he gets a ride...then he says better yet when can I drive it

Post some pics even with the loaner rims for now. I am curious where you set yours compared to where I have mine.
Old 11-23-09, 06:18 PM
MIAMIGS3
Lexus Test Driver

we need pics
Old 11-23-09, 07:30 PM
DJ420
Pole Position

..any noises with these? Squeaks? rattles? excessive road noise? or is it tight and solid?
Old 11-23-09, 08:13 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i aint got no ball for coil tho....great review btw
Old 11-23-09, 11:08 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by passnu2
Glad it went well for you Its been a few months for myself and I also purchased from Rides Low. I have mine set at 5 clicks from the firmest and have not moved them since we installed them at the shop. Install did take longer then I thought but the hardest part was getting the car to sit dead level and of course I wanted it so low that we had to place pieces of wood under the tires so we could get the jack out

My ride home, that should have been all of 15 minutes, turned into an hour drive because I was way to low when I left. But it sure did look good I think your going to need to roll your front fenders now once you have your new rims on. I am just barely missing with the OEM and I couldn't turn the Work Rims with out the tires raising the car. I have actually caught the front fender more then once. Thankfully nothing happened.

If I am lucky I have ~3" or less of clearance and rub everyday going up or down my driveway. I wish we had the roads many of you in the warmer states do but I am loving it. I have had so many compliments on my car since these where installed its crazy. Our COO asked me yesterday when he gets a ride...then he says better yet when can I drive it

Post some pics even with the loaner rims for now. I am curious where you set yours compared to where I have mine.
I gotta play with the dampener more, there were both set at 15 clicks from the hardest setting.

Originally Posted by DJ420
..any noises with these? Squeaks? rattles? excessive road noise? or is it tight and solid?
As of the driving I got in so far, its a nice ride. On turns I heard some clunking, but I am pretty sure that was from me lowering the the car via spring and not the shock body itself. I did however adjust the rears to be softer and it seemed like it fixed the problem. I do believe since the car sitting a lot lower and the spring doesn't have any preload, this would be the reason as to why I heard clanking in the rear. The springs were just a quick adjustment in order to get the car to sit properly all around.

I'm going to give it a few days or so before I correctly lower the car again (lower it via the shock body rather then spring.)

What I do love about this set up is when taking turns it really shines. Unlike springs on stock shocks, I always experienced body roll or what felt like it. Simple turns would feel like a boat turning. The coilovers handle very nicely, can't wait to try them out on a few turns on the way to work, mainly highway exits. I'll keep on updating as I drive on them more and more. Same goes for any adjustments.
Old 11-24-09, 08:20 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

nice write up
Old 11-24-09, 10:16 AM
LexFather

Very good review..moved to suspension section...
Old 11-25-09, 01:21 PM
SRGS300
Pole Position

Nice writeup. I want to buy some coils later when I save up a bit
Old 11-26-09, 01:50 AM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

It's well worth the money.

Taking cue from Passnu2, I raised up the stiffness 5f/10r and the ride feels a lot better. I was actually surprised. Once I readjust the coilovers properly and add a little preload the ride should be even better.
Old 11-26-09, 01:42 PM
tuanle82
Driver School Candidate

I want to get coilovers for my car but cant seem to decide on which ones to get. It sounds like the ksports are great but ive been wanting to get the tein cs for a while now since i know a lot of people are happy with them. i know its a big different on price for both of them. comfort is number 1 for me, i want to keep the ride as close to stock as possible. have you had any experience with the tein to compare the two?
Old 11-26-09, 10:20 PM
DJ420
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tuanle82
I want to get coilovers for my car but cant seem to decide on which ones to get. It sounds like the ksports are great but ive been wanting to get the tein cs for a while now since i know a lot of people are happy with them. i know its a big different on price for both of them. comfort is number 1 for me, i want to keep the ride as close to stock as possible. have you had any experience with the tein to compare the two?
x2 please...
Old 11-26-09, 10:24 PM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ420
x2 please...
x3!!! I'm also curious.

Quick Reply: KSport Coilovers - Mini Review