Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

F-Sport Sway Bars Knocking

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-10, 07:04 PM
wingster
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stormforge
finding a fix for the f-sport sways is probably the least thing they are worrying about now....
I remember someone in the 2g Is forum stating that Hotchkiss did the actual design and manufacturing of the f-sport sway bars. TRD just tested it (gave input) and gave the blessing on the final product that would have the f-sport name on it. If this was true, (the design and manufacturing part of it) then I don't see any direct correlation with the current Toyota situation.

Just wondering if we're just being ignored or forgotten.
Old 03-01-10, 08:52 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

We are being ignored and forgotten. Switching out the bushing helped a lot but its still there. I am concerned that if I switch back to the stock bars I am going to hate the handling .
Old 03-01-10, 08:58 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
We are being ignored and forgotten. Switching out the bushing helped a lot but its still there. I am concerned that if I switch back to the stock bars I am going to hate the handling .
have you tried tightening up the bolts like dentalstud mentioned? i'm wondering if the torque required to tighten the bolts could be wrong (ie: they gave the wrong torque specs in the install manual). you may want to retighten the bolts and see if that solves the knocking problem.
Old 03-01-10, 09:20 PM
wingster
Driver

have you tried tightening up the bolts like dentalstud mentioned? i'm wondering if the torque required to tighten the bolts could be wrong (ie: they gave the wrong torque specs in the install manual). you may want to retighten the bolts and see if that solves the knocking problem.
Nope, It doesn't help, I've tried the re-torque suggestion. The bushing bracket bottoms out when the bolt is tight... any more and your just stretching the treads on the bolt or denting the metal on the bracket. As for the end links, I torque'd them to spec and re-checked them 3-4 times in the time span of having them installed since July 2009.

Last edited by wingster; 03-01-10 at 10:01 PM.
Old 03-01-10, 09:27 PM
wingster
Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
i agree. if the endlinks are worn already especially the bolt. i am very surprised though if only 4 yrs and they are worn and rusted so badly already? of course, i don't know as much about the weather in mid-west and other snowy areas
But... We would be hearing early 3rd gen owners kicking and screaming about their clunking stock swaybars Wouldn't we?
Old 03-01-10, 09:32 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^ not necessarily since they did not remove and reinstall them. Taking them apart and reusing them "could" cause some issues.

I know the 2gen GS guys locally to me mentioned the OEM endlinks caused problems when they upgraded the sways. They are weak and will break easily. This is why I wanted to go aftermarket with mine but did have any success or time for that matter to really research.
Old 03-01-10, 10:03 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by wingster
I remember someone in the 2g Is forum stating that Hotchkiss did the actual design and manufacturing of the f-sport sway bars. TRD just tested it (gave input) and gave the blessing on the final product that would have the f-sport name on it. If this was true, (the design and manufacturing part of it) then I don't see any direct correlation with the current Toyota situation.

Just wondering if we're just being ignored or forgotten.
just thinking out loud here....if hotchkiss did the r&d and manufacturing, how hard would it be to bring this knocking problem to their attention? maybe they can provide a solution without having to wait for lexus to go to them (too much red tape)
Old 03-01-10, 10:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

just thinking out loud here....if hotchkiss did the r&d and manufacturing, how hard would it be to bring this knocking problem to their attention? maybe they can provide a solution without having to wait for lexus to go to them (too much red tape)
if anything they will listen to lexus, not us. if lexus is not asking them to look into it, i doubt they'd do anything
Old 03-01-10, 10:38 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by wingster
But... We would be hearing early 3rd gen owners kicking and screaming about their clunking stock swaybars Wouldn't we?
it could be, that's why i said i am not sure how much tear and wear i can expect on stock end links and i am surprised if they wear out that fast. i can imagine taking it apart and putting back together will weaken things further, but if they do wear out fast, then even stock 06 gs people we should be hearing from them soon
Old 03-02-10, 09:24 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Originally Posted by rominl
if anything they will listen to lexus, not us. if lexus is not asking them to look into it, i doubt they'd do anything
you are right, rominl. i sent an email to hotchkis last night, and i asked them if they were the manufacturer of the f-sport sways for the GS, and whether they would be able to provide a fix for us.

hotchkis reply:

Since the bar is an F-Sport bar we really can’t do anything you would have to go straight to the dealer.

Jesse Lopez
Sales/Tech Rep.
Hotchkis Sport Suspension
Phone#(562)907-7757 Ext# 237
Fax#(562)907-7765
jlopez@hotchkis.net

Note that hotchkis didn't deny they made the f-sport sways (so this tells us they did make them). only thing we can do now is to make our complaints to lexus louder (maybe taking it up with lexus corporate).
Old 03-28-10, 08:35 AM
dlieu8989
Rookie

Originally Posted by dlieu8989
I have a 2006 GS430 with the F-Sport swaybars. I've had them installed back in September. I was noise free for a month and I had the knock. Just last week I decided to put foam tape all over the bushing. I basically applied foam tape at:

1. the sway bar where it contacts the inside of the bushing
2. bottom of the bushing where it meets the bracket
3. top of bushing where it meets the body

note that the foam tape i used is the thick and heavier stuff. almost the same as your foam mouse pad but not as thick. I did this about a week ago and it's night and day. Noise is totally gone and I haven't noticed any performance changes. I imagine that it's just a temporary fix but who knows? I'll keep you guys posted if the noise comes back.

My theory is that the problem definitely lies in the bushing. Material is one cause but IMHO the bushing is just too thin. I don't remember how thick the bushing was when I first installed it but after inspecting the bushing after 3-4 months of having it installed, I never noticed that the bushing was so thin. I'm guessing that the bushing shrank? Maybe the rubber bushing compresses after a certain period of time? or maybe it was just that thin when I first got it.

Anyhow, give this a try and see how it works out for you. Also I imagine if you had access to 1/8" thin strips of rubber, It should do the trick too. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Anybody read my post few months ago? Did anybody try it? it's been nearly 4 months since I insulated the bushings and noise never came back.
Old 03-28-10, 10:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yup, i remember reading this. looking at some pictures before i also think that's the problem, and seems like your 4-month noise free experience correlates
Old 03-28-10, 01:28 PM
wingster
Driver

I thought that was my theory... LOL...

I think the dealerships had implemented that fix with the padding/felt tape. With limited success.

Also, with all that thick padding, you may be causing some binding in your suspension (somewhat of the effect of having stiffer springs).

Last edited by wingster; 03-30-10 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-17-10, 01:35 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Okay since I had my front end apart I looked at my front sway bar and I have no gap on either side. This is the reason I have not had this so called noise from prior pics posted. Not sure if mine was installed differently but its a perfect fit on both sides. I can't imagine they changed anything from the 06 model to current.
Old 04-17-10, 03:18 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by passnu2
Okay since I had my front end apart I looked at my front sway bar and I have no gap on either side. This is the reason I have not had this so called noise from prior pics posted. Not sure if mine was installed differently but its a perfect fit on both sides. I can't imagine they changed anything from the 06 model to current.
we need pic!!!!!

this is getting more and more interesting! so it seems like either it's installation problem, or parts have this variation on their spec (in this case, bushing thickness)?

Quick Reply: F-Sport Sway Bars Knocking