Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

AWD wants to be like RWD.....BC Coilovers on!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 09:48 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AWD wants to be like RWD.....BC Coilovers on!!

I was on the group buy list. I received the kit early Monday morning and by the evening, they were on the car. CMS can correct me on this, but I may be the only one to receive the kit with pillowball mounts for the front, b/c of the fear of a possible vibration. They also asked me to give a review of the kit, once it was installed.

I took the car to my friends performance shop, because I don't have air tools, and I'm too lazy to do this by hand. It took them about 2 hours, actually more like 2.5 to get the ride height just right. The install was very simple, the easiest that I have ever seen done with any type of full sleeve coilover system.

My friend asked if they were made on the car, because he noticed that the holes lining up to the holes for the top mount and hole that lines up with the lower control were almost perfect without much effort to struggle, unlike other coilover systems such as Tein or Function and Form that take a little moving here and there to get them to go in just right. I used to have Tein Super Street and they were that way when I put them in myself.

First, the coilovers were pre-height adjusted out of the box. I didn't open the box until I got to the shop. The build quality of the coils is top notch and they look nice. Black and Gold goes well together. The rears went in very easily. Removing the front struts were a little tougher, because they had to drop the fork, but after that was out, it was cake.

Once they were all on the car with the pre-set height, it was lowered off the lift and we noticed that these coils go super low. You can dump it to the floor and lay the frame. You can tuck the top of all 4 tires in the fender well if you choose. WAY lower than my TEINs.

After the install, my friend drove it and said it rode super smooth with the pillowball mounts. He didn't think that a car that heavy should ride that good. I've ridden in a car with PIC, Function and Form, Buddy Club, Tein, JIC, and KW, and the car is comparable to the slammed 335i sporting KW's that I rode in. Kansas City ranks second on the worst roads in the states a few years ago, and the suspension worked great. Dampener was set at 8 all around and it's pretty stiff. I will move it to 12 before my alignment. Car feels planted to the ground with so much less body roll, tighter steering and it god rid of that floaty feeling that I had when I sported the DF210's. Plus the rear sat lower than the front with the Tanabe's and now that's gone.

Also, I didn't experience the vibrations that other AWD owners had with the springs, and with the coils on and pilllowball mounts, I STILL HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO VIBRATIONS AT ALL, NOT EVEN WHEN BRAKED AND THE CAR IS IN DRIVE. NONE.

Overall, for the cost of the coils, it feels as if they should cost much more than they really are. I would have gladly paid $2 grand for this kit. Excellent craftsmanship at an affordable price. Can't beat that.

I don't have many pictures of the install, as I was busy tearing up the streets in the Viper that my Asian friend received an hour before I got there.

Here's some of the install:

Old 06-30-09, 09:50 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Todays pictures. Its not low enough for my taste, so I will lower it just a tad bit more.

Old 06-30-09, 09:52 PM
vietdeluxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lookin' good
Old 06-30-09, 09:59 PM
1STLXS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks good
Old 06-30-09, 10:01 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Still looks stock to me. It's missing a kit, a roof spoiler, and some wheels with poke. Vertex or Balsarini needs to make a kit to fit the 08 bumpers. It's been over a year and a lot changes in one year.

The camera doesn't capture the height very well. It sits a lot lower than it shows in the pictures. Plus the car is black

Need to ask Dunnojack to photoshop some Weds Bazereia with a step lip on the car.
Old 06-30-09, 10:37 PM
Iocca
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

very nice, as soon as i get some more cash, im ordering these. i agree, its not low enough, drop it about an inch all around, maybe 1.5". what did u use on your fogs? ive been wanting to do that for a while.
Old 07-01-09, 02:09 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lookin clean my friend!
Old 07-01-09, 02:55 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

looks good. i just did mine last night. i need to raise my front because what it was pre-set to has me pretty much tucking the front tires lol.
Old 07-01-09, 04:30 AM
stvincent
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

looks great.. thx for sharing, i'll be getting one soon also
Old 07-01-09, 05:55 AM
ryan78
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

nice pics - thanks for the update. it'll be next weekend before i can start on mine.
Old 07-01-09, 07:56 AM
Yang1815
Lexus Champion

Looks good!
Old 07-01-09, 08:19 AM
ECUgs430
Lexus Test Driver

now thats more like it .......lookin good
Old 07-01-09, 08:45 AM
01a4man
Pole Position

Congrats Dennis,

Car is looking great.
Old 07-01-09, 10:46 AM
Ap1_Alan
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

What size spacer are you using in the rear?
Old 07-01-09, 11:51 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

car looks great!

looks like you're missing a lug nut on that back wheel....

Quick Reply: AWD wants to be like RWD.....BC Coilovers on!!