Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Lexus GS430 Stock Suspension versus TEIN CST

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-09, 01:21 PM
Inertia
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Lexus GS430 Stock Suspension versus TEIN CST

I'd like to get people's feedback before I purchase the Tein CST Coilovers for my Lexus GS430. I know you guys probably realize already but there's a button for the Lexus GS430 which goes from NORMAL to SPORT mode. Will there be a significant difference if I upgrade to Tein CST as opposed to this stock Sport mode on my Lexus?

Is there a significant difference in body roll dampening if I get these coilovers?

Is it necessary to also get sway bars in conjunction with the coilovers or is it overkill?

Plus, anyone have suggestions on Tein CST settings? I want something sporty but with some comfort (I don't want a massage on the freeway if you know what I mean).

Side question: I know I won't be getting the EDFC but is there anyway to have a "Normal" and "Sport" mode hooked up to these TEIN CST to change the dampening...or am I being too hopeful....
Old 05-20-09, 01:34 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Inertia
I'd like to get people's feedback before I purchase the Tein CST Coilovers for my Lexus GS430. I know you guys probably realize already but there's a button for the Lexus GS430 which goes from NORMAL to SPORT mode. Will there be a significant difference if I upgrade to Tein CST as opposed to this stock Sport mode on my Lexus?

Is there a significant difference in body roll dampening if I get these coilovers?

Is it necessary to also get sway bars in conjunction with the coilovers or is it overkill?

Plus, anyone have suggestions on Tein CST settings? I want something sporty but with some comfort (I don't want a massage on the freeway if you know what I mean).

Side question: I know I won't be getting the EDFC but is there anyway to have a "Normal" and "Sport" mode hooked up to these TEIN CST to change the dampening...or am I being too hopeful....

To answer your questions:
1) not sure, someone more knowledgeable to answer. but you do lose the AVS functionality (sport mode) if you get coilovers.

2) not necessary to get sway bars in conjunction with coilovers, but it wouldn't hurt...in fact, you'd get even better handling. but fyi, there is currently no aftermarket sway bars available for our 3GS...the F-Sport will come out with a sway bar kit for our GS, but it won't be until sometimes this summer (june/09 maybe?)

3) someone with CST coilovers will answer this

4) no, you cannot hook up the CST coilovers to the "sport" mode of the AVS. it is either go with regular oem shocks or CST coilovers.
Old 05-20-09, 02:39 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

like patrick said, you get tein cst, you lose the avs. and imho the tradeoff is worth is. i have tried the avs on 3gs before, and my gs400 / sc430 / ls460l, they all had avs, honestly i don't feel that much of a difference. it's difference, but it's not dramatic at all (my opinion of course)

tein cst overall has much better performance aspect than stock suspension. i have it at 6 front and 4 rear (from softest) i think. to me the ride is still very comfortable (considering my drop) and performance is definitely improved

edfc is an option, to me i never change my setting after it's set so edfc is not that helpful

you can most definitely still get sways. in fact it's probably the best handling mod you can get. coilovers will help to tighten up the dampening and reduce roll, but sways still do the best job in that category without a doubt
Old 05-20-09, 05:23 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have this feature and I lowered the car and I happen to like the ride and look it offers. Coils are a step up hands down but all that I have been in locally to me there is not much of a difference. If you are looking to lower and keep that feature that is an option for you. You can see the pics of my car I just posted to see how it sits. IMO its just as good and low as the CST and I would guess my ride is more sport then the CST. The best coils IMO are the JIC out of all the members cars I have been in I would upgrade my springs/OEM set up for them and plan to in the future.
Old 05-20-09, 05:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have the CST with the EDFC and I am in love with it. I would also recommend for you to get the sway bars. The car will feel a bit more like a bimmer. I would absolutely recommend for you to get the EDFC. One setting all of the time is not bad, but its not ideal. Its nice to be able to tweak the suspension set up on the fly , and to have multiple set ups stored. I have very sporty ( 4 FFH rear and 6 FFH front), mild 9 front and 7 in back, and the " in law" setting where I have the set up at 15 FFH front and 13 rear. The third is sooooo soft and comfy, but the car will roll a lot ( but then again you are not doing street racing with the in laws in the car. Just make sure that the setting is not so soft that you are bottoming out the shocks on big oscillations in the road surface.

Generally for RWD cars the rear suspension should be set up stiffer than the front. This provides less understeer and more neutral feel from corner entry to mid corner and this stability will only make corner exit feel better. No matter what the setting is leave the rear 2-3 settings stiffer
Old 05-20-09, 10:38 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by passnu2
I have this feature and I lowered the car and I happen to like the ride and look it offers. Coils are a step up hands down but all that I have been in locally to me there is not much of a difference. If you are looking to lower and keep that feature that is an option for you. You can see the pics of my car I just posted to see how it sits. IMO its just as good and low as the CST and I would guess my ride is more sport then the CST. The best coils IMO are the JIC out of all the members cars I have been in I would upgrade my springs/OEM set up for them and plan to in the future.
To OP: to clarify passnu2's comments, i believe he's lowered on tanabe df210 springs, which gives him the lower stance...and it allows him to take advantage of the AVS (sport mode) because he has a GS430 (mike, correct me if i'm wrong, i'm going by memory here). his ride will be more stiffer than mine (as i'm not as low coz i'm lowered on nf210, as i'm interested in retaining the stock ride as much as possible); keep that in mind if you go with springs.