Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

F sport sway bar offical thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-09, 10:51 PM
LexFather

I've answered maybe 60 times but I can't find it lol.
This is how it works.
Sway bars will fit ANY 3GS once it does not have the optional AAAS (active sway bars). No need for steel sways if you have active ones.

I've changed the oil in my 2GS and 3GS. Both have pretty wimpy stock sways. I have TRD blues on my 2GS and its a night and day difference in handling.

What was pretty odd to me since the 3GS is bigger is the sway bar in the front is quite a bit shorter in length than the 2GS. (sorry no pics)

Inertia, sways have nothing to do with springs shocks. IN the GS, the sways run under the car, left to right basically from wheel to wheel. Springs/Shocks run up to down under each wheel. They never touch.

According to Lexus you can replace the Springs/Shocks with any GS that DOES NOT have AVS that is not AWD. Since you have AVS in your 430 you can add the springs but you CANNOT add the F-sport shocks. You have to use the stock shocks. Which is fine with the F-sport springs.

I hope this helps yall.
Old 06-18-09, 11:16 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

my thinking is you can get the fsport shocks if you want, but you lose the avs feature. avs is nothing more than another connector at the top of the stock shock to adjust the dampening. an aftermarket shock you have no connecting point thus losing the capability, just like coilovers for example.

and mike is correct, sways and springs/shocks have nothing to do with each other in terms of installation. springs/shocks are on each wheel suspension area, controlling the compression and expression of the whole assembly. sways connect the left and right side together to reduce roll.
Old 06-19-09, 02:14 AM
Inertia
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

I think Romini answered my question, you can install the F-Sport shocks on GS430 but you lose AVS (which i don't really mind anyway).

Thanks 1SickLex for the detailed answer!

Last edited by Inertia; 06-19-09 at 02:16 AM. Reason: Cause
Old 06-19-09, 09:39 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

quick question: is a 4 wheel alignment required after you installed sways? just wondering...
Old 06-19-09, 09:43 AM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anyone order this yet and know when deliveries are supposed to commence?
Old 06-19-09, 11:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Inertia
I think Romini answered my question, you can install the F-Sport shocks on GS430 but you lose AVS (which i don't really mind anyway).

Thanks 1SickLex for the detailed answer!
well that's my understanding, unless the fsport shocks are something of very weird shape

Originally Posted by Stormforge
quick question: is a 4 wheel alignment required after you installed sways? just wondering...
technically, suspension is touched, and you should. just like when you change wheels from 18s to 20s you should get alignment. but practically i tend to think it's not that affected
Old 06-19-09, 01:37 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thx henry!
Old 06-19-09, 11:00 PM
krava
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how much benefit will this give me? I was driving the car today and didn't feel good going around a turn getting on the freeway at 50mph. will it allow me to go 55 on the turn? 60? any ideas?
Old 06-19-09, 11:09 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by krava
how much benefit will this give me? I was driving the car today and didn't feel good going around a turn getting on the freeway at 50mph. will it allow me to go 55 on the turn? 60? any ideas?
I cannot say for certain as I haven't installed them yet. But what I can say is if they are like ANYTHING like the TRD sways for the 2GS this is a no brainer mod. TRD is the team behind "F-sport" so I expect some fantastic results.

I can only pray that Lexus provides the mags and car reviewers with a F-sport GS so we can see some numbers to compare to stock.
Old 06-20-09, 05:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by krava
sways are almost always the best handling mod you can ask for. coilovers are good but in terms of reducing rolls sways are always the best. braces are all marginal gains
Old 06-21-09, 01:37 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I feel that of all of the mods I have done to my previous car ( a there was alot) I felt that the sway bars and the ECU retune made the biggest difference. I am not going to play with my ECU aian, but the sway bars you would have to be crazy not to do
Old 06-22-09, 04:24 PM
tungo
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Just pre-ordered mine through the local Kansas City dealer for $326 and some change with tax included. They worked with Sewell and price-matched my order, but it came to be even cheaper than Sewell's price with shipping and no tax.

First one in Kansas City to have this.
Old 06-22-09, 11:07 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I called to order mine today and was told to wait until July first because Lexus is doing a big 20% off sale on all F sport parts
Old 06-22-09, 11:17 PM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I called to order mine today and was told to wait until July first because Lexus is doing a big 20% off sale on all F sport parts
Hopefully they release the parts July 1st! I seriously can't wait..are you gonna get anything beside the swaybars?
Old 06-23-09, 11:00 AM
e39ng
Lead Lap

Received mine yesterday......thanks Sewell...
Installed already and a very noticeable improvement even with coilover.

Last edited by e39ng; 02-01-13 at 11:10 PM.

Quick Reply: F sport sway bar offical thread