Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.
View Poll Results: Which one to get
Tein CS
40.74%
JIC Magic
29.63%
Tanabe Pro 5
22.22%
Tanabe Pro 7
7.41%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Choice between Tein CS, JIC Magic, and Tanabe pro 5 / pro 7 coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-08, 09:08 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Choice between Tein CS, JIC Magic, and Tanabe pro 5 / pro 7 coilovers

Just curious. I was going to order them. was wondering if anyone has any feedback. I like the spring rates are higher than the tein cs, and the TEAS box is more advanced than teins edfc. That system is a little old, but the tein cs seem to be the staple suspension for most Lexus cars. Tanabe will be cheaper, has a better damping controler and comes with helper springs( I dont know if thats agood thing or a bad thing). My other option would be togo with the tein super street set up, but the spring rates a really high on those. tein cs has 7 kg springs f and r. Tanabe had 8 fr and 9kg in the rear. Better handling but stiffer ride. I am willing to run the higher spring rates and go with a softer shock setting. What do you guys think? Anyone have experience with the tanabe pro 5 coilovers. Tanabe makes a pro 7 set up that is more track capable. that isnt something I am going to need. I want far improved handling with a mild loss of ride quality. I talked to a guy with the tein super streets and they were saying that on the softest shock setting the ride quality is as soft as stock. I dont know if I but it considering the spring rates are almost twice what I have. I am not looking to slamm the car. I want a 1-1.25" drop. I want to maintain as much suspension stroke as possible while getting rid of a liuttle more fender gap than the h techs will provide
Old 06-16-08, 09:58 PM
tuner4life
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking for the exact samething. How much are Tanabe sustec pro 5 coilovers go for and where are you getting them?
Old 06-16-08, 10:08 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I talked to a guy with the tein super streets and they were saying that on the softest shock setting the ride quality is as soft as stock.
if my tein cst at the softest settings and i can still feel it a tad stiffer than stock, and given my experience with tein cs, flex, ha (discontinued replaced by ss), i am not sure tein ss can get that soft on the 3gs
Old 06-16-08, 10:11 PM
TXprfrmnce
Driver

I bought the Sustec Pro 5 and they will be installed this time next week. They will be arriving by the end of the week and while I go out of town next week on business my coilovers, exhaust, and HID fog lamp conversion will be completed. I would be happy to give some feedback later.
Old 06-16-08, 11:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tuner4life
I'm looking for the exact samething. How much are Tanabe sustec pro 5 coilovers go for and where are you getting them?
superstion springs lexus in AZ is a tanabe certified sales location. They quoted me 950 for the coilovers and 480 for the TEAS if I want it
Old 06-16-08, 11:29 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am thinking to do the pro 5 coilovers without the TEAS, and maybe do an autocouture front lip. I hate the way the front bumper is higher in the middle than the sides
Old 06-16-08, 11:30 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXprfrmnce
I bought the Sustec Pro 5 and they will be installed this time next week. They will be arriving by the end of the week and while I go out of town next week on business my coilovers, exhaust, and HID fog lamp conversion will be completed. I would be happy to give some feedback later.
Let us all know what you think.
Old 06-17-08, 02:10 AM
Mesca
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am thinking to do the pro 5 coilovers without the TEAS, and maybe do an autocouture front lip. I hate the way the front bumper is higher in the middle than the sides
Heh I'm getting a front lip for that EXACT reason

Originally Posted by rominl
if my tein cst at the softest settings and i can still feel it a tad stiffer than stock, and given my experience with tein cs, flex, ha (discontinued replaced by ss), i am not sure tein ss can get that soft on the 3gs
dissatisfied with the tein cs rominl?
Old 06-17-08, 10:10 AM
tuner4life
Driver

superstion springs lexus in AZ is a tanabe certified sales location. They quoted me 950 for the coilovers and 480 for the TEAS if I want it
Let me know how to turns out. I'm wondering how they comparable to TEIN SS. Like you I'll don't want to comprimise comfort from driving our cars but at the sametime improve the handling.
Old 06-17-08, 10:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Mesca
Heh I'm getting a front lip for that EXACT reason

dissatisfied with the tein cs rominl?
i have no complaints about the tein cs, exactly what i need except i wish the rear can be dropped a bit more. i am already at the lowest settings.

with my gs400 i had tein ha, flex, and cs. eventually i figured what i really need, ride comfort is my priority. thus the cs, and that's why i am sticking with it still for the gs350.
Old 06-17-08, 10:24 PM
ISF_GG
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My other option would be togo with the tein super street set up, but the spring rates a really high on those. tein cs has 7 kg springs f and r.
The TEIN CS's have 7kg/7kg spring rates, don't the TEIN SS's have 9kg/9kg spring rates? That doesn't seem that much higher of a spring rate. Of course if you want comfort, the CS's are the way to go.
Old 06-17-08, 11:04 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

I am leaning toward the tanabe bec the spring rates are kind of intermediate relative to the other companies spring rates. dont quote me but I think the tein cs is 7kg front and rear. the tanbe are 8 fr and 9r, tein superstreets are 9kg f and 10r, and the tanabe pro 7 are 10f and 9 r. I want to drammaticaly improve handling but I have to remeber that I am rolling 30 profile tires and I run the tire pressures at 45 psi (hot). Tein cs look like the lexus tuning standard but I want higher spring rates. They dont make sway bars for the 3GS so I need all the help I can get from the springs
Old 06-17-08, 11:21 PM
ek9vboi
Lexus Champion

45psi? wow... I run whatever factory specs are. 33-36psi at most.

As for sway bars, they should be the same as the 2IS. The chassis is almost set up like them. From what I read the 2IS sways should work fine. Do a search, I am pretty sure something will come up.
Old 06-17-08, 11:34 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

measuring tire pressure when hot is pointless. measure it cold, that's the industry reference. i say no higher than 38psi cold
Old 06-17-08, 11:36 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Default Tanabe pro 5 or tanabe pro 7 coilovers for the GS

I was thinking to try the pro 5 but the pro 7 has case length adjustability. This will allow us reatin more suspension stroke while the car is lowered. This should absolutely provide a better ride . The pro 5 doesnt have the case length adj, but the spring rates are lower. What do you guys think the better set up would be? pro 5 with a stiffer shock setting or the pro 7 with a slightly softer setting. I am starting to think the case length setting is key here. The tein cs that cost ablout 500 more than the pro5, but has the case length setting as well. It seems this is key for better ride quality, and it tends to be the only feature that separates the cheaper coilovers from the more exspensive coilovers

Quick Reply: Choice between Tein CS, JIC Magic, and Tanabe pro 5 / pro 7 coilovers