Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

Anyone cut their stock springs??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-06, 11:21 PM
TRPLEBLKGS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone cut their stock springs??

I have an 06 GS430 lowered with Tanabe 2.5"s??, with some 20x8s in the front and 20x10s in rear.

Car is too low in the front and scraps on bumps in roads and in some corners. I even had the front fenders rolled..

Im thinking about cutting the stock springs, Anyone on here cut their stocks? and how many coils...

Last edited by TRPLEBLKGS; 10-15-06 at 11:28 PM. Reason: add more
Old 10-16-06, 04:15 AM
HKN
Lead Lap

No Offense But If You Are Going To Mod A Car...do It Right Or Don't Do It At All Cause You Will Regret It Later...are The Offset Of Your Wheels Correct? I Have Friends On Tanabes Lowest Drop Springs And They Rub But Not As Bad As You Stated And They Both Have 20's...check My Post On Detailing To See Pic Of One Of Them (dark Blue Gs)

Get Tein S-tech If You Want A Higher But Still A Nice Drop. I'm On Them And I Rarely Rub Unless I Have Rear Passenger And Even Then It's Not That Bad And I'm Also On 20's...check Pics For Visual.

I Think The Ride Quality Will Suffer If You Cut The Stock Springs.
Old 10-16-06, 04:47 AM
HemantS
Driver

Cutting springs is stupid plain and simple!

Last edited by HemantS; 10-17-06 at 04:47 AM.
Old 10-16-06, 09:29 AM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't cut the springs. If you do, you will become a BOBBLE HEAD driving a Lexus.
Old 10-16-06, 09:36 AM
sgv_bum
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont cut your stock springs trust me i did it to my civic and i regret it really bad .. like what Fujifuzz you become a BOBBLE HEAD driving a Lexus not a BOBBLE HEAD on a dashboard.
Old 10-16-06, 09:49 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 160 Likes on 137 Posts

We have the kiddies at my track who like to cut the springs since the the real lowering springs are so $$$ down here.

I get a big kick out of watching them hobble (or bobble) down the track. Sometimes they spark on the ground. Then we politely tell them it is time to go home (upon which we refund their money).
Old 10-16-06, 01:54 PM
TRPLEBLKGS
Driver School Candidate

actually i think i was sold the wrong off set for my car. except for the one ***** who responded, thats pretty much the response id get from this posting.

Ill probably end up get a smaller tires up front or some springs thatll raise it a bit.

I just wanted to see if anyone had any experiences with cut stocks springs. After all thats what these forums are here for right? To get information, not for people to call you an idiot.
Old 10-16-06, 03:16 PM
Fujifuzz
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you could cut the springs and see what you think. From my personal experience the springs become way to soft and do the bounce, bounce, bounce effect (Bobblehead). That was on my Civic back in the days. I'm not sure what the Lexus would do.
Old 10-16-06, 04:45 PM
nardeezy
Lead Lap

Cutting springs is so.... low budget, first vehicle hand me down and high schoolish. Come on man, you didn't buy a $50k car to cut the springs!
Old 10-16-06, 05:36 PM
AJ
Lexus Champion

Buy coils , they'll solve all your problems
Old 10-16-06, 06:15 PM
NAZTY97
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 20 Posts

I think there is an easier solutions... buy NF210's as opposed to the DF's you have, and problem solved.
Old 10-16-06, 11:46 PM
AlterZgo
Driver

Cutting springs may or may not be bad. It really depends on the situation. Some springs are wound such that when the car is on the ground, several of the spring coils are literally sitting on top of each other. In this situation, cutting one coil off the spring won't do anything other than lower the car a little bit.

Furthermore, a mild lowering job (less than 1" drop) achieved by cutting the springs wouldn't be nearly as bad as going w/ aftermarket springs that lower your car significantly (say more than 2").

With all that said, here's why one should never cut their springs:

1. Lowering springs are very cheap - you're not saving all that much money by cutting your spring.

2. To properly cut springs, you would basically need to disassemble the spring from the suspension assembly. Thus, it's the same labor as installing lowering springs (actually more because you actually have to spend time to cut the spring).

3. Cut springs have unpredictable spring rates.

4. Once you cut your spring, you may save a few bucks up front, but when you are getting ready to trade your car in and you want to return it to stock, it will be more expensive because you now have to buy some stock, uncut springs. You may be able to buy some used, but it's still a PITA.

5. Depending on how you cut the spring, it may cause damage to the spring itself. For example, if you cut the spring with a welding torch, it will overheat a certain portion of the spring causing that part of the metal to be more brittle.

6. The diameter of some coil springs may be different. In these situations, if you cut the spring, the coil may no longer properly sit on the spring perch. This could lead to disastorous situations where the spring would actually become unseated from the spring perch. This may also occur if you lower your car too much by either cutting too many coils or installing a set of aftermarket springs that lower your car too much.

7. If you ever mention that you cut your springs, people will tell you how ghetto it is. Even if you go on the Kia Sephia board, people will bag on you for cutting your springs. Of course, if you don't care what people think, this is not that big of a deal. Frankly, I don't see what the big deal is. In fact, I remember reading an article back in the day about an expensive Strosek modified Porsche 928 that had cut stock springs!

With all that said, frankly, I think what's worse than cutting springs is using any aftermarket springs w/ stock shocks. Stock shocks - especially on a luxury car like the GS - is not designed to withstand the increased spring rate of lowering springs. This will usually result in an unoptimal ride/handling balance. In fact, IMO, it's actually dangerous to lower a car w/ 2" lowering springs on stock shocks because it will make your car feel floaty and much more likely to bottom out which may result in loss of control if you were going around a curve at a relatively fast clip.

So, the bottomline is, if you are going to lower your car, do it right with coilovers or with aftermarket shocks AND springs. Be sure to also align your car after any suspension work. A $75 alignment is much cheaper than replacing 2 or 4 tires costing $200 to $300 each and your car will actually handle better and drive safer and smoother too.
Old 10-17-06, 08:43 AM
newr
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by HKN
No Offense But If You Are Going To Mod A Car...do It Right Or Don't Do It At All Cause You Will Regret It Later...are The Offset Of Your Wheels Correct? I Have Friends On Tanabes Lowest Drop Springs And They Rub But Not As Bad As You Stated And They Both Have 20's...check My Post On Detailing To See Pic Of One Of Them (dark Blue Gs)

Get Tein S-tech If You Want A Higher But Still A Nice Drop. I'm On Them And I Rarely Rub Unless I Have Rear Passenger And Even Then It's Not That Bad And I'm Also On 20's...check Pics For Visual.

I Think The Ride Quality Will Suffer If You Cut The Stock Springs.
OT.. A capital letter for almost every word... It would drive me crazy typing like that..
Old 10-19-06, 09:51 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Before you alter the suspension at all you may want to look into the spec of your wheels / tires and make sure they are the right thing for your car.

Without flaming or insulting you I'll just simply say that cutting springs is not a good idea and another member gave a very detailed explanation of why. There are many aftermarket 1-1.25" lowering springs for the GS which are very reasonably priced, I would suggest you go that route instead.
Old 10-19-06, 10:28 PM
trent
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As D2 mentioned above, check your offsets, and tire sizes, you may have to go with a different suspension, or wheels.

Quick Reply: Anyone cut their stock springs??