Suspension Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, etc.

AFS Light Flashing After Tanabe NF210's

Old 10-17-05, 03:21 PM
quinloe
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AFS Light Flashing After Tanabe NF210's

Hi...

Need some direction on this Adaptive Front Lighting Indicator (AFS) that is flashing, after I had the Tanabe NF210 springs installed. The local tuner shop did not know how to fix the problem, so I took it to the dealer. The dealer was going to adjust the headlamps to fix the problem, however they came back and said that they could not adjust the lamp to fix the problem. They had no answer for the problem. Does anyone have any solutions or ideas? HELP! I am in NOCAL. Thanks.
Old 10-17-05, 04:44 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

where are u in cali? socal? I took my GS over to Ted over at dynamic in Westminster...he knew exactly what to do...took care of that as well as my alignment
Old 10-17-05, 04:49 PM
quinloe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by foofighter
where are u in cali? socal? I took my GS over to Ted over at dynamic in Westminster...he knew exactly what to do...took care of that as well as my alignment
Thanks I am in Northern CA, Sacramento. Any ideas on what he did? The dealer was no help.
Old 10-17-05, 06:15 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

ok i'll give away his trade secret...although i didnt see what exactly what he did i noticed that he fiddled w/ the rear leveling arm for the headlights...apparently he just did some adjustment where it's attached to the lower arm so that the leveling arm is articulated that much. that's basically all he did.

Old 10-17-05, 08:18 PM
Benzoboi
Pole Position

^^Alright the 3GS to go guy for modding and technical issue....YOU THE MAN!~!
Old 10-17-05, 09:21 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Benzoboi
^^Alright the 3GS to go guy for modding and technical issue....YOU THE MAN!~!
naw not as knowledgable as vw/audi's but i alos benefit from having a great cool neighbor that loves Lexus as well and mods too so it's all good
Old 10-18-05, 09:12 AM
blue06gs
Driver

Wow, i had the same EXACT problem once i got my springs installed. I took it to lexus and it was the same problem foofighter explained. Lexus took care of it for free by charging it to lexus as a "road hazard" issue...

with mine, they moved that leveling arm and didn't put it back into its correct place.

i hope u get it fixed properly...
Old 10-18-05, 11:43 AM
quinloe
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by blue06gs
Wow, i had the same EXACT problem once i got my springs installed. I took it to lexus and it was the same problem foofighter explained. Lexus took care of it for free by charging it to lexus as a "road hazard" issue...

with mine, they moved that leveling arm and didn't put it back into its correct place.

i hope u get it fixed properly...
Thanks for your help and imput, my Lexus dealer said they would not adjust it, they would only adjust it to factory settings. I'll try some giving some other Lexus dealers a call. I'm not having any luck with any of our local tuner shops or Lexus auto shops that will adjust it. Thanks

What dealer in AZ did you take it to?
Old 10-18-05, 03:33 PM
blue06gs
Driver

I took it to Superstition Lexus in AZ. Its on US60 and Superstition.

hope it helps you man....i feel your pain....
Old 10-18-05, 03:56 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by foofighter
ok i'll give away his trade secret...although i didnt see what exactly what he did i noticed that he fiddled w/ the rear leveling arm for the headlights...apparently he just did some adjustment where it's attached to the lower arm so that the leveling arm is articulated that much. that's basically all he did.

PROPS to foofighter
Old 10-18-05, 05:55 PM
quinloe
Driver School Candidate

Smile

Thanks to all for your help.

SPECIAL THANKS TO FOOFIGHTER WITH HIS HELP, POSTINGS AND CONTACT INFO TO DYNAMIC AUTO. YOU THE MAN!!!!!

Got the problem fixed. When the shop put the sensor and adjustment arm back in it was in the wrong postion or reveresed, thus causing the sensor malfunction and flashing AFS light. Problem resolved back at the shop that installed the springs.

By the way, the two Lexus dealer in my area were no help at all. One service writer at the dealer suggested that I replace the springs or remove the bulb to the AFS light. What horrible advice.

AGAIN SPECIAL THANKS TO FOOFIGHTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-18-05, 09:45 PM
foofighter
Lexus Test Driver

excellent! Glad Ted was able to help you out...he's definitely the guru of Lexus cars...

What those two service writers suggested is really scary to hear...'remove the bulb' are they serious?!?!?!
Old 10-18-05, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

don't go to dealership.... go to reputable shops that really know what they are doing

and yup, this is a very simple easy fix, same thing for a lot of other lexus models. those are the autoleveling sensors
Old 10-20-05, 10:48 AM
KINGPING
Driver School Candidate

so all u gotta do is mess with that leveling arm?? ,,, i think maybe when u get the camber adjusted and the wheels alligned it might balance out.. im going to take my car tomorrow to do it so ill give u an update after its done..
Old 10-20-05, 12:35 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by KINGPING
so all u gotta do is mess with that leveling arm?? ,,, i think maybe when u get the camber adjusted and the wheels alligned it might balance out.. im going to take my car tomorrow to do it so ill give u an update after its done..
it won't when you do alignment. the reason for the light to come up is that when you lower your car, more than likely you lower the front more than the rear, or vise versa. the autoleveling computer is a system to detect where your car is "pointing" to and adjust the headlight positions. there is a range. there are sensors on both the front and rear wheels.

so if you lower your car differently front and back, what happens is that the computer "thinks" your car is pointing one way and want to correct it, but if it falls out of range then the light comes on.

so the way to fix it is by adjust the leveling sensor so it's within range again. and that's why doing alignment wont' change anything, it's about how your car is lowered.

and also, you need to adjust it smartly as well. as i explained, when you adjust the sensor, you are adjusting how the computer thinks of the "inclination" of the car is. if you adjust it too much, maybe it's within range again and the light it gone, however the headlight might be pointing at the wrong direction still. so you should always do this where you can shine the headlights on a wall or so to make sure it's not shooting too high
The following users liked this post:
skur (06-16-23)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AFS Light Flashing After Tanabe NF210's