Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra TT brake upgrade ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-03, 08:33 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Supra TT brake upgrade ?

Guys my parts for the TT upgrade are here (calipers, pads, SS lines rotors). I have a question for those that have done the upgrade, do the callipers fir with the GS dust shield or are there modifications required?

It will be a few days before I get the brake fluid so I am just trying to be prepared. Also I have 19" AT Rivas so I dont think I'll have fitment problems, correct?

Thanks
Old 10-20-03, 08:39 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

The dealer did my install, but they had to remove the dust shields to get them to fit.

I assume your wheels are high disk? My wheels were supposed to clear them. but they did not. Don't underestimate the space you'll need for these things. The fact that they're 19" doesn't really impact the space for the brake fittment.... it's the disk and the shape of the wheel / spokes.

Last edited by DaveGS4; 10-20-03 at 08:43 AM.
Old 10-20-03, 08:56 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The rotors for the TT upgrade is bigger than the stock ones. This means that it will not fit in the dust shield. Some here have trimmed the shield to accomodate the bigger size, most have just gotten rid of it.

And what Dave said about fitment. Your 19s will be plenty of space for the new rotors. It is the rotor-to-wheel-face distance that you need to worry about. TTs are huge and require quite a bit of clearance. I don't know enough about the ATs to say whether or not you have space but if the wheel is not high disc, there is already cause for concern.
Old 10-20-03, 09:08 AM
Letsride

Arrow

Thanks guys I'l try to get in touch with Steve to see if he has a template for the TT calipers.

Last edited by Letsride; 10-20-03 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-20-03, 01:12 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally posted by Letsride
Thanks guys I'l try to get in touch with Steve to see if he has a template for the TT calipers.
you have to cut out the dust shield for sure, the rotors are bigger. about the wheel, if your wheel isnt high disk you are in big trouble for sure. my suggestion? take off the stock caliper, do NOT unplug the hose, put on the new caliper, and try to fit the wheels on first
Old 10-20-03, 01:33 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

rom and dave , i am also getting ready to put on the tt upgrade , whats involved in removeing the dust sheild , does the hub have to disassembled or does it basically bolt on
Old 10-20-03, 01:39 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I kept my dust shield on just cut the opening bigger.
Old 10-20-03, 01:45 PM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

did you remove it to cut it or what did you use to cut it with????

(btw jacob , i have not forgotten about the deal , i am waiting on confirm about my deal with the calipers from another mem)
Old 10-20-03, 04:30 PM
JacobT
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just use any kind of metal cutting tools. I like to have the dust shield for better cooling.
Attached Thumbnails Supra TT brake upgrade ?-100-0045_img.jpg  

Last edited by JacobT; 10-20-03 at 04:38 PM.
Old 10-20-03, 04:44 PM
Letsride

Arrow

Well I sent Brandon a template of the calliper to see if it works. Hope I hear soon.....
Old 10-20-03, 07:24 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Will a +43 clear TT Calipers? I have IForged Senakas. Im not sure if there High disk or not. Also will the rear TT calipers bolt on if you remove the dust shield? I was going to upgrade my brakes as a cheap temp way instead of A Big brake kit.
Old 10-21-03, 12:10 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by GammaLex
Will a +43 clear TT Calipers? I have IForged Senakas. Im not sure if there High disk or not. Also will the rear TT calipers bolt on if you remove the dust shield? I was going to upgrade my brakes as a cheap temp way instead of A Big brake kit.
offset has nothing to do with the brake fitment (well maybe a little), but it's still the disk setup that plays the biggest roll. you need to check with the wheel vendor about this
Old 10-21-03, 12:26 AM
zenki300
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My cousin and I simply removed the entire dust shield after we cut it up so that the rotors would fit. As for the calipers, they bolted right on without any modifications. The only problem we ran into was the removal of the stock rotors because they were stuck in place. So if you're planning to do the install yourself, you might want to have a rubber mallet ready in case any of the rotors have to be knocked loose so you can remove them. Otherwise, those rotors should slide right off. Hope this helps.
Old 10-21-03, 05:47 AM
lexforlife
Lexus Fanatic

what is the best way to bleed the system when you disconnect and reconnect using stainless lines
Old 10-21-03, 08:48 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
Senior Moderator

Originally posted by lexforlife
what is the best way to bleed the system when you disconnect and reconnect using stainless lines
just umm..... bleed from the furthest corner, so from pessenger rear, driver rear, then pessenger front, driver front.

Quick Reply: Supra TT brake upgrade ?