Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sportdesign suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-03, 09:16 AM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Question Sportdesign suspension question

Okay, I'm a newbie when it comes to the whole shocks/lowering thing. And I've searched the forum but I can't seem to find the answer...

I've just purchased an '03 GS3 Sportdesign. I'm looking to replace the wheels with 18"s (not interested in 19"s or 20"s), and I'm not sure whether I'll need to lower the car or not. Here's where I'm confused...

1) I've read that some members have lowered their GS's using L-tuned shocks/springs.
2) I've read that the L-tuned shocks/springs are the same ones used on the Sportdesign.

I have the Sportdesign suspension, but I still don't see any evidence of lowering vs. the stock GS. There is still a huge gap between the wheel wells and the 16" OEM rims. I don't think much of that gap will be filled by replacing with 18" rims because the tire that goes with it will be much thinner.

If I'm not that concerned about some degree of gap between the wheel well and tire (just not a hand's width like I have now) will I still need to have the car lowered? Do I need to get L-tuned shocks/springs?Sorry if the question is stupid, but I really need help with this one. Thanks for any input you can give.
Old 10-08-03, 09:42 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought that it was only the shocks that are tuned differently and the springs are stock => stock height.
Old 10-08-03, 09:46 AM
Letsride

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally posted by Neo
I thought that it was only the shocks that are tuned differently and the springs are stock => stock height.
That is correct. The springs are stock, nothing special....
Old 10-08-03, 11:00 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The springs seem to be the standard GS springs as far as I have seen.

The shocks are not 100% exactly the aftermarket Ltuned shocks, although there is no reason that they aren't tuned exactly the same as the aftermarket Ltuned shocks, which would make them functionally the same.
Old 10-08-03, 12:16 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

The shocks are L-tuned...springs are definitely NOT lowered...you will have a large gap. I would recommend changing the springs. Talk to Todd at TM Engineering or Steve at Carson Toyota for parts...you may also consider new shocks...though your current ones should work for the short-term

I have an '02 SD and have 18's...I changed out the shocks and springs since I only wanted an inch or so drop...other SD owners have kept their shocks and only changed out the springs for the drop...I just went for the long-term approach. It's up to you, but you will have a large gap.

Good luck!
Old 10-08-03, 04:21 PM
NoRyceGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

.........whats the point of changing the SD shocks to L-Tuned shocks if they are the same thing? little bit of a contradiction in the previous few paragraphs.

btw, i know the point of changing shocks, you guys just confused me on the reason for changing SD shocks to L-Tuned.
Old 10-08-03, 05:16 PM
KVA
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Don't know what was confusing, but I wasn't implying to change from SD shocks to L-Tuned shocks...just confirming that they are indeed L-Tuned. I personally changed my SD GS300 to Bilstein Shocks/Eibach Springs from the SD (L-Tuned) Shocks and SD (stock) Springs.