Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

When you lower your car, why does the drivers side sit a little lower? maybe .25"

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-03, 09:47 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who adjusted their own coilovers...

I had my apexi world sport coilovers installed about a week ago, since I had them adjusted again by the shop that installed them. Tonight I decided to adjust them again, because lets face it.. these shops are not going to take the time and effort to adjust them perfectly to your liking..

anyways.. FINALLY.. I got each side within 1/8" of each other... what a pain.. I mean the whole setup was pretty straight forward, but it was so tedious to get it so close ... I guess this is close enough.. no one canc tell except for me and thats becasue I know theres a difference...

comments from anyone on their experiences with adjusting their coilovers and how close each side is to the other... Also how does the alignment come out with that differnce..

thanks..>
Old 08-19-03, 09:39 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Old 08-20-03, 12:23 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

1/8" of each other you mean the wheel gap or what? if you just measure the distance from the bottom of the coils it should be very easy to adjust. but i can tell you for sure. if you have the same height from the bottom of the coils, then you will notice different left and right wheel gap. that's always the case, even with stock setup
Old 08-20-03, 01:13 AM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

actually that is the wheel gap ... what I did was mesure from the floor to the highest point f the fender... and compare the two sides...

I compared this mesurement on at least have a dozen instances, so I would make sure it wasnt the issue with the floor..

The adjustments on each coilover are different then the other side... I have heard of coilovers not settling exactly at the same rate as the opposite side ... so I figure this is normal...

anyone else experience this?
Old 08-20-03, 08:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by SpdRcr0
actually that is the wheel gap ... what I did was mesure from the floor to the highest point f the fender... and compare the two sides...

I compared this mesurement on at least have a dozen instances, so I would make sure it wasnt the issue with the floor..

The adjustments on each coilover are different then the other side... I have heard of coilovers not settling exactly at the same rate as the opposite side ... so I figure this is normal...

anyone else experience this?
i know a lot of people have the same issues, even people with just springs and shocks they have the same thing. so i bet if you look at the coils (number of turns) you have on the left and right sides they are different huh?
Old 08-20-03, 01:24 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

yes... initally I had them set the same, but realized that each side is off...
Old 08-21-03, 10:47 AM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

Old 08-21-03, 12:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yes... initally I had them set the same, but realized that each side is off...

yup, that's the case for me too. on my old HA i spent a lot of time to custom adjust each side to have them all level, and yes it took sooo much time. i also found out that if i do that the left and right coils count become sooo different.

i havent' done that on my Flex yet, just coz' the amount of time needed
Old 08-21-03, 01:31 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

what do you mean "the left and right coils count become different"?
Old 08-21-03, 03:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

what do you mean "the left and right coils count become different"?
i meant the distance between the bottom of the coils to where you lock it is different left and right.

btw, please reduce the size of your sig.
Old 08-21-03, 03:36 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Default When you lower your car, why does the drivers side sit a little lower? maybe 1/8"

I have always noticed that my cars ( I lowered a Honda before the Lexus-not ricey though) sit a little lower on the drivers side maybe like a quarter inch or something like that. I lowered my Honda with springs/struts, and my GS3 using the same setup. I was cruising the boards and noticed a thread from Spdrcr regarding this. It is just enough to annoy a detail oriented person, why does that happen?

Last edited by D2-AUTOSPORT; 08-21-03 at 08:19 PM.
Old 08-21-03, 03:37 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

This may be a good thread to sticky, because I have always noticed that my cars( I lowered a Honda before the Lexus-not ricey though) sit a little lower on the drivers side maybe like a quarter inch or something like that.

I will start another thread and may rominl can merge the 2 for a solid source of info down the line.

BTW- Spdrcr your car is very nice and clean.
Old 08-21-03, 04:15 PM
SpdRcr0
Pole Position

thanks for the compliments...

yes, I agree there should be a sticky on this thread...
Old 08-21-03, 05:46 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

How heavy are you?
Old 08-21-03, 07:12 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

190 on a heavy day, if you look at any car its like that though. I got this idea from spdrcr0's thread where he was talking about how much lower he had to set his coilovers on one side to make the gaps EVEN. measure your car's gaps and distance from gound to fender on all 4 corners to see what i mean

Quick Reply: When you lower your car, why does the drivers side sit a little lower? maybe .25"