Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Do I need to take off my TRD STB to remove the engine cover?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-03, 05:45 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts
Default Do I need to take off my TRD STB to remove the engine cover?

I got my Teckkit grounding kit over a week ago and this past weekend tried to install it, however I noticed that I need to remove the engine cover.

I tried to remove the engine cover, however the TRD STB does not allow a lot of movement of the cover. Any idea on how to remove the cover without taking off the STB? Is that even possible?

Or maybe I don't even have to take off the engine cover (I doubt that though as the pics show at least two of the wires where the cover is.
Old 07-31-03, 05:53 AM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to remove the engine cover, you do have to remove the strut bar. There is not enough clearance to lift the cover off the bolts to allow cover to be slid out of the way.

Its not that difficult....only 6 bolts....remember to put bolts back before moving the car..
Old 07-31-03, 06:00 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by GS4fun
If you want to remove the engine cover, you do have to remove the strut bar. There is not enough clearance to lift the cover off the bolts to allow cover to be slid out of the way.

Its not that difficult....only 6 bolts....remember to put bolts back before moving the car..
Thanks Manuel, I suspected as much, but just wanted confirmation from someone.

I am dreading this now, as I don't know how much torque to apply to those bolts on the strut towers when I put them back....
Old 07-31-03, 05:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
I am dreading this now, as I don't know how much torque to apply to those bolts on the strut towers when I put them back....
Even though I have a torque wrench (now), I just tightened the STB bolts down to 'firm' but not 'full weight against the wrench' tight. Since the car has no STB from the factory, I can't imagine my car is at any great risk. Maybe I'm wrong. VVT-i?

Also, since this was the second time I had to take the cover off (for the grounding kit, the first time was for the intake) I just left it off this time. I don't miss it. I figure it lets engine heat release better too.

One thing Hameed - you MAY have to jack up one side of the other to get the STB off or back on and it may need a good shove. Don't be afraid.
Old 07-31-03, 06:00 PM
LS4fun
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Isn't the engine cover there to protect the hood paint from over exposure to heat...you may want to put back...
Old 07-31-03, 07:36 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by GS4fun
Isn't the engine cover there to protect the hood paint from over exposure to heat...you may want to put back...
I don't think so - the hood is lined anyway. I'm sure it's more cosmetic than anything.
Old 08-01-03, 03:21 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by bitkahuna
Even though I have a torque wrench (now), I just tightened the STB bolts down to 'firm' but not 'full weight against the wrench' tight. Since the car has no STB from the factory, I can't imagine my car is at any great risk. Maybe I'm wrong. VVT-i?
I think the only risk is not tightening it enough as it anchors the strut tower to the body at that point. I will give it a shot this weekend.

Maybe I should go out and buy a torque wrench...... Suggestions on what type of torque wrench to buy, Paul?
Old 08-01-03, 04:28 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhhh the joys of a one piece strut tower bar Here is a link to a thread where rominl says the specs for the fstb are 41 ft/lbs https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=torque
Oh, and Bit... while your car didn't come with a strut tower bar originally.... the bolts that hold down the strut tower bar are actually the same ones that bolt the front struts to the chassis... fairly important!
Old 08-01-03, 04:36 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Originally posted by mumbles
Ahhhh the joys of a one piece strut tower bar Here is a link to a thread where rominl says the specs for the fstb are 41 ft/lbs https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=torque
Thanks Mumbles!
Originally posted by mumbles
Oh, and Bit... while your car didn't come with a strut tower bar originally.... the bolts that hold down the strut tower bar are actually the same ones that bolt the front struts to the chassis... fairly important!
That is what I meant by my previous post Paul!!!
Old 08-01-03, 04:47 AM
mumbles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Mumbles!

That is what I meant by my previous post Paul!!!
Yeah, I missed that when I read your post the first time... felt kinda silly afterwards I wouldn't go hog wild on a torque wrench if you don't usually need one, they can be fairly expensive. Maybe just rent one from a local rental place or car parts store like Autozone or Napa.
Old 08-01-03, 05:14 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

My torque wrench was about $35 from a local AutoZone store - don't have brand handy right now, but it seems very nicely made. I used it to make sure my wheel lug nuts were at 76 lb/ft.

Thanks for the info on the STB nuts rating - I'll redo them now.
Old 08-01-03, 08:25 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hameed,

If you need a torque wrench just let me know and i'll bring mine to the office or just call me and we have a really nice one here that my guys use out in the plant that you can torque your bolts with..

Let me know..

Ken
Old 08-05-03, 10:38 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

I tried to do this upgrade this past weekend and failed yet again.

There is not enough space on the left hand side of the engine (assuming you are standing in front of the car and looking at the engine) for me to put a wrench to loosen the bolts on the strut tower and remove the STB.

Short of buying a special ratchet to go in there, I think I will end up taking the car to a mechanic to do this.....
Old 08-05-03, 11:58 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I tried to do this upgrade this past weekend and failed yet again.

There is not enough space on the left hand side of the engine (assuming you are standing in front of the car and looking at the engine) for me to put a wrench to loosen the bolts on the strut tower and remove the STB.

Short of buying a special ratchet to go in there, I think I will end up taking the car to a mechanic to do this.....
You just need an extension for your socket wrench.
Old 08-16-03, 08:44 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Finally did this install last weekend!

The car feels more responsive, but I cannot attribute that to either the reset of the ECU or the grounding kit. However as Paul summarized in his thread, a good grounding does have some incremental benefit to overall smoothness of the car - engine and transmission etc. I have not noticed if the lights are brighter or anything like that.

It is really a no brainer mod. Glad I did it!

Quick Reply: Do I need to take off my TRD STB to remove the engine cover?