Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My lexus dealer says that my Tom's RLCB or 6-piece kit won't fit on my car!! Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-03, 06:38 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation My lexus dealer says that my Tom's RLCB or 6-piece kit won't fit on my car!! Help!!

Well I got the Tom's front lower chassis brace, front strut tower brace, and rear strut tower brace installed without an issue.

I took a few looks at my 6-piece suspension link kit and the instructions that only came in japanese and decided I didn't feel like messing with it, so I took it to the dealer the other day so they could install it along with the Tom's rear lower chassis brace while they were doing a couple of minor warranty fixes. Well today my service advisor called me and told me that the guy in the shop had just about everything installed but then noticed that one of the pieces was up against a part of the exhaust and was transmitting a bad vibration into the cabin, so he had to take everything off (everything meaning just that one part). I asked if he meant the rear lower chassis brace or the 6-piece kit and he wasn't sure, and the tech had gone home for the day. So tommorow I'm supposed to go up there and talk to the tech to see what the issue is, but shouldn't both the Tom's RLCB and 6-piece kit fit on a 100% stock 99 GS400 without touching the OEM exhaust system?

I remembered hearing that people with aftermarket systems other than Tom's aftermarket exhaust had to buy some sort of special brace... but as far as I remember, if my exhaust and everything else is completely stock (obviously except for the Tom's chassis pieces I've installed so far), there should be no clearance issues, right?
Old 07-17-03, 06:40 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

There's two versions of the Tom's LCB, one designed only for the Tom's exhaust I believe, so if you got that one it won't work with the stock exhaust.
Old 07-17-03, 06:46 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

yup, i think it's the rear lcb. it only fits the tom's exhaust i believe
Old 07-17-03, 07:08 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Why would Carson Toyota send me a part that only works if I have a particular aftermarket exhaust system without checking with me first? I mean, if they have two different parts, one for stock and one for people with Tom's exhaust, why would they assume I have Tom's exhaust??

If that is the problem I hope they do the right thing and offer to swap me and pay the shipping.
Old 07-17-03, 07:12 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The open or "U" shaped brace will fit any exhaust. The closed "D" brace will only fit the Tom's and perhaps a few others, but not the stock exhaust. You could elect to go to a muffler shop and surgically excise your rear resonators which elimates the problem -- and it sounds really cool.
Old 07-17-03, 07:30 PM
redgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Threxx
Why would Carson Toyota send me a part that only works if I have a particular aftermarket exhaust system without checking with me first? I mean, if they have two different parts, one for stock and one for people with Tom's exhaust, why would they assume I have Tom's exhaust??

If that is the problem I hope they do the right thing and offer to swap me and pay the shipping.
Welcome to the world of aftermarket parts. You are the one that's buying -- it's up to you to perform due dilegence to make sure your parts will play well together. I purchased the D style brace knowing that it probably would not fit my exhaust but hoping it would [thus the resonator surgery]. Given the permutations of parts, it's not possible to know all the combinations that work together AND they can't know what you plan to do next [week, month, year].

Having said that, I would be very surprised if they did not ask what style and would consider it a mistake on their part if they didn't. Is it possible they asked what style of brace and you perhaps did not understand the repurcussions? I have had excellent dealings with Carson although I have never had to return anything. Good luck.
Old 07-17-03, 08:08 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

so is your rear lower brace 'closed' or 'open' shape?
Old 07-17-03, 08:17 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
so is your rear lower brace 'closed' or 'open' shape?
I second Bit's question. We need to determine this first. If you have the open brace, then you should be fine. One of the "links" in the 6-link is a pain to install and the exhaust does get in the way of the install. In the end, though, it should not rub anything.
Old 07-17-03, 09:45 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

It's the closed brace, so apparently they sent me the wrong one.
Old 07-17-03, 10:06 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Threxx
It's the closed brace, so apparently they sent me the wrong one.
yeah then that's why it doesn't fit...
Old 07-18-03, 10:13 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

OK well I called them this morning and they said they'll send UPS to my house to pick up the old brace and will ship out the new (correct) brace in 2-3 weeks since they don't have any in stock right now.

I can't say I'm happy about the 2-3 week wait, but given the circumstances I think they're doing everything they can. So chalk up another good review for Carson Toyota's customer service (assuming everything goes as planned from here on out)
Old 07-18-03, 10:57 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Glad to see you have a resolution.
Old 07-19-03, 03:35 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could just get a new exhaust system....

The APEXi WS Exhaust system clears the Type-A (Closed) brace quite well...
Old 07-19-03, 09:52 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally posted by Manaray
You could just get a new exhaust system....

The APEXi WS Exhaust system clears the Type-A (Closed) brace quite well...
umm..... this is the funny part. coz' dennis has the WS and had the A type and it didn't clear? i could see the rubbing marks?
Old 07-20-03, 07:56 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

One of the top 5 reasons for buying this car was the fact that it was so quiet.

So an aftermarket exhaust system would almost completely defeat this purpose.

I almost kind of regret putting the flowmaster system on my silverado... I KNOW I'd regret putting a loud exhaust system on my lexus.