Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

TEIN CS assessment

Old 07-08-03, 09:58 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TEIN CS assessment

I just had my TEIN CS coilovers installed this past weekend. My initial impressions were WOW I wish I had done this sooner. Granted I have only had them on for a few days but the difference is immediate. I am still in the process of adjusting the ride height. When I picked my car up from the shop the car was at about the same height as it was with my Eibach springs. I am planning on going about .5" lower in the front and .75 to 1" lower in the rear. So it is an ongoing process and once I get it set where I want I will put up my final thoughts. Here are my thoughts of the Teins right now:

When I drove home from the shop I wanted to really test out the suspension. They did the alignment for me at the shop so everything was good to go. I just installed my Daizen sways a couple weeks ago and really wasnt expecting much of a difference. The first thing that I noticed was when I was taking fast corners the front end was no longer "diving" in the turn. The front end stayed basically level and I felt more in control.
The next difference I noticed was in the rear end. When I first installed the Daizen sways I noted that the rear end felt somewhat "floaty". With the Teins installed I noticed a decrease in this floaty feeling. I still think I am either going to adjust the rear sway or install a rear LCB, like the TOMs.
The ride quality is excellent. When the Eibachs were installed (with stock shocks) I felt the ride was somewhat bouncy. With the Teins the suspension feels more solid, thus I feel more in control of the car.

The reasons I chose the CS coilovers over the others were the softer ride, the constuction, and the fact that since I will be installing the WIN kit I wont be able to utilize the full drop of the HA or FLEX. I am really glad that I did this mod. I just wish I had gone straight to coilovers and passed over the springs. To all of those who are considering springs I would say get coilovers. If they are too pricey then save your money and do it right the first time. If I hadnt come to CL I probably would still be riding on the Eibachs. I would really like to thank BLUELEX and LXOGOOD for helping me out with my decision and answering all my questions. You guys were such a huge help to me I would also like to thank Steve. Once again you answered all my questions and helped me immensely. I am really glad there is a place like CL where everyone is so supportive and helpful. I will hopefully have the suspension height and EDFC settings worked out by this weekend and will let you know what differences there are, if any. Since I will primarily be adjusting the ride height I dont expect there to be much of a difference in the performance of the coilovers.
Old 07-08-03, 10:06 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rich, I went through 3 suspensions before I got my TEIN. It went from: Eibach springs/stock shocks to L-tuned Springs/Shocks to L-Sportline suspension. When I finally got my TEIN's put on, I was like'" Why in the hell didn't I do this sooner?" Glad you like your setup...
Old 07-08-03, 10:56 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i went from HA to flex and i was like wow already, so i can definitely understand how good the CS is
Old 07-10-03, 03:37 PM
MasterG
Pole Position

Rich , How much more firm are the CS's vs the stock set up ? Right now I'm aiming for the CS's .
Old 07-10-03, 07:18 PM
bluelex
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

hey rich... no problem , i'm glad u love the ride .. and thank u 4 helping me on some qusetions of mine also. i recently finally drove on the highway going 2 miami and going 85 2 95 mph and was really shocked at how they stood up 2 that test. i felt like i was sitting on a pillow ...

Last edited by bluelex; 07-10-03 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-10-03, 08:47 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

MasterG, the Tein CS are definately harsher than the stock ride, but honestly it isnt that bad. For the added handling and stability the tradeoff is definately worth it. I just adjusted the coilovers today and I have only about .5" or less front and back before I bottom out so it is pretty low. The coilovers made almost as much a difference in handling as the sways did. If you are going to do any suspension mods(springs/shocks, coilovers) I would say spend the extra $ and get coilovers. You wont regret it. I know I havent and I wish I hadnt bought Eibach springs, but it does make me appreciate the TEINs more.
You also have to ask yourself what are your goals. When I installed the eibach springs my only goal was looks. As I got more into the modifications I decided that I also wanted performance and not just looks. Thus, the Eibachs werent going to cut it so I had to move up to some TEINs. Ultimately it is up to you to decide, but if you want to increase both performance and looks, the Teins are DEFINATELY WORTH IT.
Bluelex, I cant thank you enough for all the help. I cant wait to see your car in person.
Old 07-10-03, 10:48 PM
LVgs400
Pole Position

I was just thinking of upgrading my Eibach springs/L-Tuned shocks..... What is the difference between the Tein coilovers? CS, HA, etc... and do they all come with electronic control? What kind of settings can you control on it?
Old 07-11-03, 10:00 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

The CS is the softest coilovers, but also offers the least amount of ride height adjustment. The HA and Flex are stiffer than CS but offer more ride height adjustment. I think Rominl just changed from HA to Flex so he would be able to tell the difference. I think the HA is the stiffest of the three, then flex and then CS. The electronic controller (EDFC) just controls the damping of the ride. There are basically sixteen settings from softest to the stiffest. It is an easy way to adjust the ride without popping the hood or climbing in the trunk. It does not come with the coilovers, you have to order it separately. It was only around $400 and is pretty easy to install. I think its worth it. I did notice a difference between the softest and the firmest setting. You can also ask some other people that have it. Good luck
Old 07-11-03, 10:41 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Amazing what a little experimentation can do. If you have the bucks. Then again, staying with a setup you don't like isn't exactly a buy. Going softer can definitely make a better handling car with other components working in concert, particulalry if that suits your roads and driving style better. Glad you are getting the balance where you want to be.
Old 07-11-03, 10:42 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Does all 3 Tein coilovers (HA/Flex/CS) have 16 damping settings?
Old 07-11-03, 11:42 AM
LVgs400
Pole Position

Hey Ron430, thanks for the input.. Sounds like the CS and the best for me right now. I wounder if the softest setting is going to be like stock, or how far from it. Anyone know the differences between flex and HA in ride quality?
Old 07-11-03, 12:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Wish I could help but the stock shocks on the 2k1 GS430 were so awful, I got them off as soon as I could. Any of the rest of you guys go direct from the stockers to the Teins?
Old 07-11-03, 12:41 PM
GS430 GUY
Lexus Test Driver

Ron,
I went from stock straight to Tein HA's! Add all the other suspension mods with the Tein's, car handles pretty damn well, if I may say so!
Old 07-11-03, 01:06 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

GS430 GUY - Any other mods to the suspension done at the same time to try and help out LVgs400?
Old 07-11-03, 02:08 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

I just got an alignment done today and the ride is perfect now. I waited to get the alignment done because I wanted to get it at the perfect ride height. I have it set on the stiffest setting because I am so low. Even at the stiffest setting the ride is quite good. I would say it is not as good as stock, but it is not bad at all. If you are worried about the ride quality then I would say definately get the CS. LVGS400 do you have larger diameter wheels? If you do the difference in right shouldnt be that bad. If you plan on staying with the stock 16s or 17s I imagine the ride will be just slightly different than stock. Can you tell us what exactly it is you are trying to accomplish with your GS?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: TEIN CS assessment