Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Slotted Drilled Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-03, 11:24 AM
LEXISM
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Slotted Drilled Rotors

Can someone tell me who make the best slotted drilled rotors and about how much will they cost ?
I saw some on ebay and I was thinking about buying some.

Last edited by LEXISM; 06-12-03 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-12-03, 01:28 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lexism,

Go to TireRack and look up the rotors for GS. This would give you your candidate list (mostly OEM size). Then, you could look up the reviews on them and see which one you like best. This would give you an idea of what to expect while other GS owners can describe their experiences.

Non-OEM size brakes you can look at are Brembos, Endless, AEM, Baer, StopTech, etc.
Do a search for something like "brake kit" or "brake upgrade".

Keep in mind that by going with drilled rotors, you are compromising some of the performance and life of the rotors (drilled rotors are morely prone to cracking, and from what I know, most shops do not resurface them (probably for that reason)). Also, drilled rotors have less surface area and don't stop as well as solid rotors (when overheating is not an issue).

Bottom line is: get all the info you can, so you make an informed decision and encounter no unpleasant surprises.

Good luck!
Old 06-12-03, 02:20 PM
///MDex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve G. can get you OEM sized Brembo Slotted & C/D Rotors.

And this whole talk of 'cracking' of drilled rotors? We're not tracking the cars with OEM brakes.
Old 06-13-03, 02:11 PM
Vlad_Stein
Lead Lap

Originally posted by Dex
And this whole talk of 'cracking' of drilled rotors? We're not tracking the cars with OEM brakes.
All I am saying is that there are things that the guy should know before he buys. I am not knocking the cross drilled rotors, I am just saying that in order to enjoy them, you have to be prepared to tolerate their (potential) downsides. Just like anything else in life.

Plus, from pure functionality's sake, if we are not tracking the cars, we (technically) don't need c/d rotors, other than for looks.
Old 06-13-03, 02:22 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The cross-drilled/slotted rotors are definitely more prone to warping...so don't expect long-life. They do, however, perform as good as OEM rotors with less fade. The effect of less surface area due to the cross-drilling is minimal, especially at higher speeds. The most effect on brake performance is rotor and caliper size and also the brake pad design. "Cracking" of the rotors is all hype...my understanding is that this was a problem with the early design rotors. Companies have since constructed theor rotors with beefier materials. Has anyone on CL suffered a cracked x-drilled rotor??
Old 06-13-03, 05:04 PM
GS4
Driver

Stay away from the cross drilled/slotted rotors on ebay. I purchased them and received the wrong sizes for both of my cars. They were not shipped in Brembo boxes, there was just a Brembo stamp on the side of the rotor. I then called up Brembo and they told me they dont make cross drilled/slotted rotors. They are priced well but I dont think it's worth the aggravation.
Old 06-14-03, 07:07 AM
HKGS300
Lexus Test Driver

Most C/D rotors are C/D by third party companies using standard blank OEM rotors from companies such as Brembo and Bradi. That's why there is Brembo stamped on the rotors.