Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

L-tuned - raise front?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-03, 03:49 PM
TRD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L-tuned - raise front?

I have L-tuned suspension on 2000 GS400. I drag bottom occasionally and the front is lower than the back by about 1/4-1/2 inch. Car has stock Platinum 16" wheels (and tires) which is where I want to stay. Can I raise the font about 1/4" using some kind of spacer or other method?
Old 06-02-03, 07:48 PM
sung35
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is your car look now? I also want to upgrade my car w/ L-tuned suspension (shocks and springs) for my 2000 GS400 w/ 16" wheel size. Can you post some pictures? Are they odd looking?
Old 06-02-03, 08:18 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

L-Tuned suspension is suppose to drop the car 1.0" all around. Maybe something wrong with the front. Btw....what do you mean by "drag"?

Pete
Old 06-02-03, 09:56 PM
SCWells72
Lead Lap

Originally posted by PHML
L-Tuned suspension is suppose to drop the car 1.0" all around. Maybe something wrong with the front. Btw....what do you mean by "drag"?

Pete
Actually my experience has been that the L-Tuned suspension drops the front about 1/2" more than the rear giving the car a forward stance. This was confirmed by the local dealer's master mechanic just last week when I was having my alignment done.
Old 06-08-03, 06:42 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Take a look at my car - https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/sh...at=500&thumb=1

I have the L-tuned setup and I am 100% positive that the rear is lower than the front. Not the other way around. The L-tuned setup drops the car about 1.25 inches front and rear, but for some reason the gap between the tire and the fender in the front is about a finger thickness more than the rear.

I never have any problems with this setup - not sure what you mean by drag.

Time to upgrade to Tein Flex with EDFC..................

Last edited by Hameed; 06-08-03 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-08-03, 09:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by Hameed
Time to upgrade to Tein Flex with EDFC..................
I thought you were done with mods for a year?
Old 06-08-03, 07:06 PM
TRD
Driver School Candidate

By "Drag" I mean that the car drags high-center on some humps in road or driveways.
This is particularly true when 4 people are in car.

It also scrapes the front end on some driveways going in or coming out.

I will post pictures soon.
Old 06-08-03, 07:15 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

The obvious comment is that when you lower, that distance comes out of ground clearance. Using shorter springs is not lowering the body on the chassis (there isn't one anyway) but the whole body is lowered. Or I guess you could say the tires are raised but the net effect is that if you had five inches of ground clearance in stock condition and you lower by one and a quarter inch, you know have three and three quarter inches. Load the car up with four people, stereo, etc., and you reduce that even more.
Old 06-08-03, 07:20 PM
TRD
Driver School Candidate

My question is about the nose of car being closer to the ground than the rear of the car.
If the front and rear were at same height then dragging would be reduced.
I was asking if there as a way to raise front about 1/4-1/2 inch to achieve this.
Old 06-09-03, 01:56 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 213 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally posted by bitkahuna
I thought you were done with mods for a year?
Just thinking about it............................. Maybe next year................... who knows..................?
Old 06-09-03, 09:55 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

TRD - Without thinking about it too much, from what I remember about the GS suspension, I can't see many ways to accomplish what you want. As hindsight is always 20/20, it should be mentioned that this is the advantage of adjustable coilovers (our stock strut/spring combination is a coilover but the way it is commonly used here implies the unit sold from one vendor with adjustability). In standard configuration, there just isn't anyway to easily alter the spring height unless you have a good ol boy friend on a NASCAR team and can get a spring rubber, but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 06-09-03, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally posted by TRD
I was asking if there as a way to raise front about 1/4-1/2 inch to achieve this.
My guess is the answer is no.

For what it's worth I believe my L-Tuned upgrade lowered the front about 1 1/8" inches and the back about 1".

I also can't take 4 people in my car without scraping the rear muffler or gas tank or something when going over a big speed bump or other road hump. Unfortunately we have one on the entrace to my work parking lot so I never take my car out to lunch with more than 1 passenger.
Old 06-09-03, 10:36 AM
FutureGSorIS
Lead Lap

Originally posted by TRD
My question is about the nose of car being closer to the ground than the rear of the car.
If the front and rear were at same height then dragging would be reduced.
If you aren't happy with a little over an inch drop then I would put back the stock springs as there is no way to raise your car with the springs you have.
Old 06-09-03, 01:38 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yo TRD -

When you said you put on L-tuned suspension....does that mean both L-tuned springs and L-tuned shocks? Or just L-tuned springs? Were they NEW when you bought them?

Just curious...since I never heard anyone with L-tuned (springs and shocks) complain about the setup.

Pete
Old 06-09-03, 01:48 PM
TRD
Driver School Candidate

It may be that the 16" wheels/tires are not quite as tall as the 17" wheels/tires that everyone else runs.
Apparently no one else scrapes on convex or concave driveways. But I do if the car is loaded with people and the driveway/street has a large enough dip/rise relative to the street being entered/exited.

Quick Reply: L-tuned - raise front?