Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Bilstein Sports

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-03, 12:26 PM
Jack McNeal
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bilstein Sports

I recently had Bilstein Sport shocks installed on my 1999 GS400, and kept the stock springs. I've lived with lowered cars several times in the past, and did not want to repeat that experience. The ride is still very nice, but is a little sportier, handling is improved, and above all, the car no longer floats. So everything is great except that when I go over a speed bump at anything faster than a crawl, I hear a lound KA-WUMP from the rear suspension. Has anyone had a similar experience? This seems to nothing more than an annoyance, but it is annoying.

Also, as I learned at the time of the shock installation, caster is not adjustable on GS400's. Anybody have any feedback on this? I think my car drifts gently to the right a on a hands-off freeway test. The caster is slightly different on either side. The left is 7.0 and the right is 6.6. I suppose I could have a little runout on the right front tire, and will check this again after the next front to rear rotation. Tires are RE730's.
Old 05-29-03, 12:36 PM
DrewGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Spend the extra $250 and get the eibach springs. Your problems will go away.
The recoil for stock springs and and these performance struts do not go....its like mixing oil and water.

you will have long term problems with this kind of setup and i think this viewpoint can be shared here by other CL members.

Last edited by DrewGS4; 05-29-03 at 01:23 PM.
Old 05-29-03, 01:20 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if the Eibach's will let you rip over speed bumps but going on two years with stock springs and bilstein sports, I have no problems whatsoever. Even in my bimmer days, I replaced the stock Boge with bilsteins and left the springs alone and had no problems so don't count on me being able to support the stock spring and bilsteins are a problem comment. I think about the best cars I had for speed bumps were the bimmers, the GS doesn't like to take them very fast but obviously this is very dependent on the bump. My business park has some very gentle and wide bumps and the GS takes them in its stride. Where I work out, they have speed bumps that are like an asphalt 4X4 and I have to go slow or go around.
Old 05-29-03, 01:24 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Or H&R Sport springs....