Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lifted one side of car after lowering? What the...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-17, 07:04 AM
01Convert
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lifted one side of car after lowering? What the...

I've run into an interesting issue with my 2002 GS430. I had a shop install some B8 BIlstein shocks with my older Tein springs. The spring were already on the car with factory, worn out shocks. I took my car to a local business that supposedly specializes in suspension installs. A couple of days after the install I noticed the vehicle was uneven when comparing the driver's side to the passenger's side. The vehicle happen to go into the Lexus dealership for some general maintenance and they pointed it out as well and they think they found the cause. This is where I could use some help. It appears that the driver's side rear shock is not installed correctly or has a manufacturing issue. Here is what the Lexus tech said - " Left rear will not lower. Silver collar will not fit over snap ring." They stated it must be a manufacturing defect.

Here is a photo of the drivers rear:

Now this is the passenger's side rear.

So what I'm trying to figure out is how could this happen. Is it installed wrong or does it seem like it might really be a manufacture's defect? Thanks!
Old 02-27-17, 07:56 AM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you bought the shocks new I would contact Bilstein or the reseller and see what they say. That sounds very odd considering Bilstein is a very good quality manufacturer.
Old 02-27-17, 05:26 PM
01Convert
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ZanderZ32
If you bought the shocks new I would contact Bilstein or the reseller and see what they say. That sounds very odd considering Bilstein is a very good quality manufacturer.

I took your advice and called Bilstein and told them the issue I was having. They said in some rare cases shops have installed the spring seat upside down which cases a 1/4" difference. So I got under the vehicle today to check it out and they were right. The drivers side needs to be flipped to sit property. Here is the messed up side close up.

Old 03-01-17, 08:19 AM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 01Convert
I took your advice and called Bilstein and told them the issue I was having. They said in some rare cases shops have installed the spring seat upside down which cases a 1/4" difference. So I got under the vehicle today to check it out and they were right. The drivers side needs to be flipped to sit property. Here is the messed up side close up.

Glad they know of that issue. Saved you some time for sure.