Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear UCA removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 02:56 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts
Default Rear UCA removal

I need to remove the rear UCA on my car, and I'm trying to avoid dropping the subframe. Does anyone have any advice on what combination of tools I could use to break torque on these bolts with the limited access?
Old 01-28-17, 11:34 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I need to remove the rear UCA on my car, and I'm trying to avoid dropping the subframe. Does anyone have any advice on what combination of tools I could use to break torque on these bolts with the limited access?
I recently had to do this job on my white one. I just dropped the three bolts that hold the sub frame on that side of the car to drop it just enough that I could get a wrench or socket in there. Worked out fine for me. Remember there are keepers on the nuts so you only have to get something on the bolt itself. You can barely get your hands in there to put the nut back in place with the new arm but it can be done. It's really not that difficult of a job
Old 01-29-17, 09:07 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Thanks for the tip on only removing the bolts on one side. I'll give that a try next time I work on the car. Are the keepers on both bolts or only the one that faces the rear of the car?

I was able to get a socket on the bolt the last time I tried, but the ratchet had a limited range of motion, so I couldn't break the bolt loose.
Old 01-29-17, 10:40 AM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I did a clutch on my Scion at home on jackstands years ago, instead of removing the whole subframe I loosened all the bolts just to drop it about 2-2.5 inches and gave me enough clearance to get everything done. Looking at the rear of the SC same concept should work to get access to the UCA bolts.
Old 01-29-17, 01:17 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nnnickkk
I did a clutch on my Scion at home on jackstands years ago, instead of removing the whole subframe I loosened all the bolts just to drop it about 2-2.5 inches and gave me enough clearance to get everything done. Looking at the rear of the SC same concept should work to get access to the UCA bolts.
The S2000 is the same when. When doing the clutch the front bolts are loosened, so the entire engine and transmission assembly slide down, but the bolts were designed to do that from the factory. On the rear of the SC, I'm not sure what the length of the bolts are, so it might not be safe to do that. Plus I really don't want to disconnect the driveshaft and remove the exhaust unless I have to.