Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 12:46 PM
jwynn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coilovers

Ive done a lot of research over the past year trying to find the perfect coilovers for what I want ( lowered 1-2 inches below stock, smooth ride, my roads are decent). Anyways, Ive come to Gixer Drew vs Stance SS coilovers. If I could get input from people who've owned either. Please let me know, don't need all the extra stuff. Thanks GUYS!
Old 01-19-17, 12:59 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

My vote is for Gixxer_Drew if you aren't interested in going much more than one 1" lower than stock the 500/250 version is the best for ride quality in all conditions. The 600/325 version (which I run) has slightly flatter handling at the expense of some stiffness but to be honest I have only found this to be annoying on truly terrible roads that are in such disrepair even a Prius feels bad driving over them. Also, most quality coilover suspensions would have the same issue. The linear-rate Hypercoil springs are very good quality but the secret sauce is in the Bilstein AK1242 and AK1243 shock absorbers. The guy who originally came up with this suspension really loved how they performed on a shock dyno and felt there were few competitors to it for the price point.

It will get close to 2" lower but is really designed around the OEM suspension geometry and should never be lowered more than that and staying at 1-1.5" lower is better for handling.

To note, the OEM springs in the 93-98 Supra TT were also linear rate. FR: 430lb-in RR: 219lb-in
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?964698-MKIV-Supra-OEM-Spring-Rates&p=12370226&viewfull=1#post12370226

For a street driven SC used all the time as a DD and not a weekend track car (though this suspension has been designed around track components) and which isn't meant to be adjusted I think the Gixxer suspension is very good and decent on overall price. Set it up and forget about it and enjoy the handling.

This is my thread on the Gixxer suspension:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-pictures.html

Stance is also supposed to be a good choice but I have no personal experience with their products to offer for comparison.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-19-17 at 01:08 AM.
Old 01-19-17, 11:03 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

I'd like to piggyback off your post here.

I've been running OEM Supra Spring / Bilstein setup for several years now. I enjoy it, but I'd love to switch over to a coilover setup. The Gixxer_Drew setup is tempting, but his post is old. Once it no longer worked like he stated because Bilstein changed their design, or this and that, I just lost interest because it was no longer the setup he originally came up with. People found ways around it it seems, but I started to get confused and have since wrote it off. Add a couple kids to the mix now, and I just would rather buy something that's done rather than something that I have to make.

I moved onto looking at the H&R coilovers, as they are damn near identical to the Gixxer-Drew setup, but just a complete kit out of the box. Problem is they are discontinued over here. The spring rates on them are 515/285 (very similar to the street Gixxer_Drew setup of 500/250), with linear rate springs. If I could find them, that'd be the ticket!

Every other coilover I look at has significantly stiffer spring rates. For example the BC "BR" series coilovers, which are supposed to be their "soft street setup" are 14kg (780lb) front and 10kg rear (560lb). Everything is significantly stiffer.

Perhaps there is something I don't understand, which is why I'm mentioning it now. Perhaps it something to do with Linear vs. Progressive rates. But I really wish I could find something as 'comfortable' as the Gixxer_Drew / H&R setup, but more available as an out of the box completed assembly ready to be installed.

Last edited by Halon; 01-19-17 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-19-17, 11:25 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon

I've been running OEM Supra Spring / Bilstein setup for several years now. I enjoy it, but I'd love to switch over to a coilover setup. The Gixxer_Drew setup is tempting, but his post is old. Once it no longer worked like he stated because Bilstein changed their design, or this and that, I just lost interest because it was no longer the setup he originally came up with. People found ways around it it seems, but started to get confused and have since wrote it off. Add a couple kids to the mix now, and I just would rather buy something that's done rather than something that I have to make.

I moved onto looking at the H&R coilovers, as they are damn near identical to the Gixxer-Drew setup, but just a complete kit out of the box. Problem is they are discontinued over here. The spring rates on them are 515/285 (very similar to the street Gixxer_Drew setup of 500/250), with linear rate springs. If I could find them, that'd be the ticket!

Every other coilover I look at has significantly stiffer spring rates. For example the BC "BR" series coilovers, which are supposed to be their "soft street setup" are 14kg (780lb) front and 10kg rear (560lb). Everything is significantly stiffer.

Perhaps there is something I don't understand, which is why I'm mentioning it now. Perhaps it something to do with Linear vs. Progressive rates. But I really wish I could find something as 'comfortable' as the Gixxer_Drew / H&R setup, but more available as an out of the box completed assembly ready to be installed.
Have you ever considered running the supra ground control coilovers with supra koni or bilstein shocks? You can order them with any spring rates that you desire. I don't see it discussed too often on this forum, and I've never really understood why. The only thing I can think of is cost since the GC setup is $650 by itself + cost of shocks.

The only other coilover I can think of with soft rates is the tein street advance coilovers. They come with 12kg front springs and 7kg rear springs which is equivalent to 672/392lbs.

The comfort factor is determined by a combination of shock valving and spring rates. Looking at one without the other is kind of pointless between brands. Shock valve data is proprietary by brand, so its harder to get that information. In general, the Japanese like to use stiff springs (14kg front with 8kg rear is the most common for the SC) with appropriate valving vs the Germans focus more on precise valving and the softest spring necessary.
Old 01-19-17, 01:03 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I looked at the ground control setup.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...p/II=105/CA=18

So looks like it just adapts to Bilsteins. But from what I gathered from the Gixxer post was that Bilstein has changed their design right? So to me this still seems like I could get them and maybe they'll fit right or not depending on which version of Bilstein's I have (which I really don't know to be honest). Maybe I'll just write them and see what they say. Thanks for the idea!

I understand what you're saying. The overall feel depends on the pair (springs and shock). I don't know how to determine if it feels and performs like the Gixxer setup then. Obviouslly these other companies are selling stiffer springs. No idea on the shock valving, so I guess folks like me are just kinda at a loss.
Old 01-19-17, 05:17 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I looked at the ground control setup.

http://www.ground-control-store.com/...p/II=105/CA=18

So looks like it just adapts to Bilsteins. But from what I gathered from the Gixxer post was that Bilstein has changed their design right? So to me this still seems like I could get them and maybe they'll fit right or not depending on which version of Bilstein's I have (which I really don't know to be honest). Maybe I'll just write them and see what they say. Thanks for the idea!

I understand what you're saying. The overall feel depends on the pair (springs and shock). I don't know how to determine if it feels and performs like the Gixxer setup then. Obviouslly these other companies are selling stiffer springs. No idea on the shock valving, so I guess folks like me are just kinda at a loss.
Sorry, I don't know anything about the Bilstein changes. The first thing I noticed when looking at a gixxer setup is that it works just like a ground control setup. I've used ground control products before as a budget coilover option on various track cars (Honda and BMW).

The only real way to know what is best for you is to buy the coils, install , align, then test drive to make the judgement for yourself. If you hate it, then sell it and move on. Luckily, coilovers are a lot easier to install than shocks and springs. lol
Old 01-19-17, 08:11 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Well I shot GC a message on FB. So hopefully hear back from them. Doing some reading, it looks like they use linear rate eibach springs, and can do various spring rates. I like what I see so far, so hopefully I get to have a good conversation with them. Thanks for pointing me in their direction!
Old 01-20-17, 05:48 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

OP - I have the Stance in one of my cars... so between them and Gixxer I will choose the former. I once have Gixxer and sold them here cause as mentioned because of the extra work on the shocks I got due to changes they have made where that slit around the shock is . Well , that is just me of course . I hate to play around with suspension if I am not sure since safety is always a priority for me specially when speed is at play.

But on another side note , I have all kinds of coilovers from HKS to Tein and different springs / shocks setups on my 8 2JZ toys . The best I like , rather love is a lowering spring and shock combination. Ride for me is perfect , it isn't stiff like that of the diff coilovers I have and at the same time I got the lowered profie I wanted. They are the RS-R Lowering Springs and Tokico shocks combination. They were already in the car when I got the car so I have no specs on them except the brand written on them . I wish I can find another set of those springs . They seem to be discontinued ..

They are on this car ... my favorite combo for suspension play and ride height
Name:  20160413_135402_zpsueut9ioc.jpg
Views: 4435
Size:  463.3 KB

Last edited by gerrb; 01-20-17 at 05:56 AM.
Old 01-26-17, 08:28 PM
jwynn
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow Gerrb that seems to be the perfect ride height in my eyes. very little if any wheel gap. Im thinking after everything Ive read on this post that stance would just be easier seeing that a guy is selling them on the classifieds and Gixxer has changed. Thanks everyone for the help. Im hoping ill love the stance still have to figure out there warranty and how much I can change the specs on them. I believe Im still on stock springs so anything will feel better at this point I'm sure.
Old 01-30-17, 08:52 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Exclamation H&R Coil-Overs

You can look at POST #7 on this linked Tread to see what I learned about the H&R Coil-overs. You can still find these and get them shipped from Europe for ~$1,100.
Old 01-30-17, 09:38 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Hey thanks for the link and info. So couple things I noticed.

1) These are not Bilsteins, but are manufactured in Germany. So I wonder if they can be rebuilt by Bilstein, assuming they are very similar products?

2) It stated the H&R are progressive rate springs. I had assumed they were linear. The gixxer_drew setup uses linear rate springs correct? I wonder what sort of difference that makes?

3) I run oem supra springs with Bilsteins currently in my SC300. It lowered the car a hair (maybe half to three quarter inch?). I'd like to drop it maybe another quarter of half inch. Sounds like that'd work fine with the H&R as you said they are made to lower a Supra by an inch, and I'm looking at maybe only a quarter to half inch since the Supra geometry already lowers an SC300 from the get go.

4) Sounds like you have it all figured out though how to do the Gixxer_Drew steup with the 'new' shock design, and without cutting anything? So literally everything just slips together just like if I were to buy an off the shelf setup? If so I might have to strongly consider this.

5) Is there any other shock you might recommend as well other than Bilstein? Any Koni or KYB shocks for example? Or just don't mess with what works and run Bilstein, period?
Old 01-30-17, 10:37 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Lightbulb Answers

Hey thanks for the link and info. So couple things I noticed.
1) These are not Bilsteins, but are manufactured in Germany. So I wonder if they can be rebuilt by Bilstein, assuming they are very similar products?
After installing Bilstein HD Shocks/Struts on all four of my cars (1991 and 1992 Miata, 2003 VW Jetta TDI Wagon, and 1998 SC300), I can tell you that Bilstein USA would not service H&R Shocks, but I am sure you could find a race shop that could if a rebuild was needed.

2) It stated the H&R are progressive rate springs. I had assumed they were linear. The gixxer_drew setup uses linear rate springs correct? I wonder what sort of difference that makes?
Yes - H&R Springs are Progressive, and I would personally feel that could be a positive attribute if you get to the full spring stiffness before hitting your bump-stops, otherwise it will make the ride rather harsh. The H&R Shocks also list that their valving as digressive which it better than most of the linear shocks in most of the other pre-built coil-over's.

3) I run oem supra springs with Bilsteins currently in my SC300. It lowered the car a hair (maybe half to three quarter inch?). I'd like to drop it maybe another quarter of half inch. Sounds like that'd work fine with the H&R as you said they are made to lower a Supra by an inch, and I'm looking at maybe only a quarter to half inch since the Supra geometry already lowers an SC300 from the get go.
Just an FYI - The H&R setup advertises it lowers a Supra 1" to 2.5", so this will be quite a bit lower then you could safely go with the Bilstein (Gixxer_Drew) Coil-Over setups.

4) Sounds like you have it all figured out though how to do the Gixxer_Drew steup with the 'new' shock design, and without cutting anything? So literally everything just slips together just like if I were to buy an off the shelf setup? If so I might have to strongly consider this.
I do not see the Gixxer_Drew setup as improving what you already have.

5) Is there any other shock you might recommend as well other than Bilstein? Any Koni or KYB shocks for example? Or just don't mess with what works and run Bilstein, period?
My research has shown that Bilstein HD's are the best value for the money, but I do not have any first hand experience with anything other than OEM (what came on the cars) and Bilstein HD's.

Last edited by flash9; 01-30-17 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Correct a typo of 3.5" when it should have been 2.5".
Old 01-30-17, 02:13 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the replies. Your reply that "I do not see the Gixxer_Drew setup as improving what you already have.". Can you help me understand what you meant? I currently have OEM Supra Springs on Bilsteins. It works great, but I'd like the car to sit just a tish lower, like 0.25" - 0.5" lower than it sits right now. And sounds like your personal springs rates are a hair stiffer too. This car is a Lexus, I don't want to lose the comfortable Lexus feel. So that's what I loved about the H&R and Gixxer_Drew setup as they not only offered handling improvement over stock, but also kept it 'comfy'.

Will the progressive spring be 'less comfy' then your linear springs?
Old 01-30-17, 07:03 PM
flash9
Pit Crew

Exclamation Bilsteing Coil-Over setup is not really designed to be lowered.

Thanks for the replies. Your reply that "I do not see the Gixxer_Drew setup as improving what you already have.". Can you help me understand what you meant? I currently have OEM Supra Springs on Bilsteins. It works great, but I'd like the car to sit just a tish lower, like 0.25" - 0.5" lower than it sits right now. And sounds like your personal springs rates are a hair stiffer too. This car is a Lexus, I don't want to lose the comfortable Lexus feel. So that's what I loved about the H&R and Gixxer_Drew setup as they not only offered handling improvement over stock, but also kept it 'comfy'.

Will the progressive spring be 'less comfy' then your linear springs?
You have already said the OEM Supra Springs with Bilstein Shocks is lower than OEM Lexus SC setup. The Grixxer_Drew setup is best not being lower than ~1" than OEM Lexus SC ride height. So, why go with something that should not be lowered to where you want to go? Shocks need to have some compression travel, and any lower, and you will be riding mostly on your bump stops! It makes no sense to spend money on good quality shocks like Bilstein HD's if the shock is riding on the bump-stops. So, it you want to go lower, I highly recommend the H&R setup. everything I have read they are a high quality German made shocks, and the spring rates are very reasonable. Go back and look at my Suspension Spreadsheet, I even have the H&R Spring Rates in the spreadsheet.
Old 01-30-17, 10:48 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

The OEM TT Supra springs are also linear rate just like the Gixxer Hypercoil springs, although they are FR: 430 lb-in and RR: 219 lb-in.