Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Aftermarket drilled/slotted vs Genuine OEM rotors/pads

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 06:12 PM
MrPogi86
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket drilled/slotted vs Genuine OEM rotors/pads

Hey yall, i just purchased a second gen gs300 to be a winter daily with the possibility of VIPing the car in the future. I just took it into toyota to get a used car inspection and as i expected i need new brakes all around, possibly calipers. I've been searching around online and i ran into a power stop evolution Z23 complete front and rear kit. Never heard of this brand but they seem good; however, I've seen mixed feelings regarding drilled/slotted rotors for daily use. Would any of you recommend this line of brakes or should i just stick to OEM?
Old 12-09-16, 09:55 PM
CAKETOWN
Intermediate

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Personally i'd check out rockauto.com and see what they have, i got the premium centric rotors and they're excellent.
Old 12-10-16, 03:49 PM
SpectraBlu
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by CAKETOWN
Personally i'd check out rockauto.com and see what they have, i got the premium centric rotors and they're excellent.
I also have the centric premium and I have no complaints.
Old 12-11-16, 11:44 AM
kpatton
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to brakeperformance.com for drilled rotors.. Even my wife noticed improved stopping ability. All USA made, fit and worked like a champ..
it did grab a bit funny at first as they are coated but that wore off in about a week and great since. Absolutely would do it again.
Old 12-14-16, 09:45 AM
bruceb58
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Centric premium here are well. Drilled rotors are pretty much worthless on a car like ours. For looks only.
Old 01-08-17, 10:55 AM
929rider
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrPogi86
Hey yall, i just purchased a second gen gs300 to be a winter daily with the possibility of VIPing the car in the future. I just took it into toyota to get a used car inspection and as i expected i need new brakes all around, possibly calipers. I've been searching around online and i ran into a power stop evolution Z23 complete front and rear kit. Never heard of this brand but they seem good; however, I've seen mixed feelings regarding drilled/slotted rotors for daily use. Would any of you recommend this line of brakes or should i just stick to OEM?

I had those power stops on my old 300. and they were good for a year and a half. Then they warped.
maybe 10k. Miles on them.
just made a post about my brakes on my gs430.
I'm going with hawk slotted and drilled rotors and thier hp pads.
Old 01-22-17, 01:42 PM
LuxuryGS3
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I had centric premium on both my GS and my girlfriends when we had ours. Also ordered from RockAuto. No complaints, quiet, and had better than OEM bite IMO.
Old 01-29-17, 07:19 PM
Stretch21
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm planning on running rotors from 88rotors. my homie has them on his car and they've been holding up
Old 03-05-17, 04:41 PM
3stars1sun
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got my Powerstop Z23 kit from Summit Racing. $250 out the door price including free shipping. I'll post pics and a review once installed.
Old 03-06-17, 04:01 PM
ZanderZ32
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My only issue with the drilled is the feel. Slotted and plain rotors are just plain smoother when braking, no pun intended.
Old 04-09-18, 12:48 PM
LexusK
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Bumping an oldddd thread. Looking into possibly getting new rotors for my GS400 since I am getting vibrations within the range of 45-35 mph when slowing down. If I can't get my current rotors turned/machined, then I'm probably going to go with the Centric brand since you guys speak very highly of them. My only problem is that there seems to be different categories (Economy, Coated, Daily Driver, Performance, Heavy Duty).

List of options:
https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...hub,rotor,1896

I'd really like to go with the Economy - C-Tek since they're only $25.79 each for the fronts, but the Coated - CGX is a few bucks more at $31.79 each, and then there's the Daily Driver - Premium, which is $37.99 each.

Which ones did you guys go with? Why should I go for one over the other? Do I also need to purchase new pads?
Old 04-09-18, 01:52 PM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

From the research I did when I was going to buy rotors, the coated is the same as the c-tek but the center of the rotor has enamel or something on it so you don't see rust. No real function to that. The premium has slightly better steel than the c-tek and the center is coated but unless you're doing track driving you won't notice any difference. As for pads might as well replace them since they have to come off when you replace the rotor. I wouldn't recommend anything from stop tech. Unless you drive like a crazy person you're going to get pad deposits and have the same problem you have now. EBC reds are good in my experience but are pricey if you're looking for more stopping power
The following users liked this post:
LexusK (04-09-18)
Old 04-09-18, 03:56 PM
LexusK
Racer

Yeah I don’t drive crazy or track my car. Just need some good quality replacement rotors and pads that don’t cost like $200 like OEM ones. I don’t really need more stopping power or anything super fancy. Considered the LS400 upgrade but I’m just too lazy tbh. That and I don’t want to throw crazy amounts of money into the car anymore. What would be your final recommendation?

Edit: I just reread the thread and noticed everyone went with premium :facepalm:

Last edited by LexusK; 04-09-18 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-09-18, 07:37 PM
604GS400
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some Akebono pads.
The following users liked this post:
LexusK (04-09-18)
Old 04-09-18, 07:54 PM
LexusK
Racer

Currently have this in my cart. Anyone have a rockauto discount code?

Quick Reply: Aftermarket drilled/slotted vs Genuine OEM rotors/pads