Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Streetable aftermarket rear suspension?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-16, 01:28 PM
Username1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Streetable aftermarket rear suspension?

Hi. First Post. Woo.

I own a 2000 SC300. For reasons I won't get into here, I need to replace a toe link and rear/rear control arm on the driver's side/rear...and here is where I am facing something of a boggle.

1. This car is driven to work and back daily, 44 mile round trip. I don't have time to tear everything apart and re-grease stuff on a regular basis.
2. I don't mind firming up the rear suspension while I am replacing the broken parts, but all I am finding in the way of aftermarket arms/rods/whatever of any kind for the rear suspension for this vehicle all looks like race-car pieces, with absolutely no way to grease them. Anything out there that's actually streetable, or is all race stuff only? I don't mind greasing something every few weeks, that's pretty easy to do, but to have to disassemble to grease...
3. Typically, I just recommend that my customers buy the best stock replacement suspension that they can get for the street, and go with that for a street car: Race car parts for race cars.
4. What about stock-level Supra pieces? I seem to recall some things fitting, some things not fitting...
Old 10-31-16, 01:46 PM
vipsoarer
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hopefully this helps as you will need to decide what works best for you and your goals...

No one makes a new ball joint with harder rubber or urethane in terms of toe or torque arms in the rear. You will either need oem or oem replacement parts if you want minimal maintenance and comfort.

Some aftermarket spherical joints are cheap and need constant grease, some are self lubricating, some just need a squirt of teflon; it all depends on $ and manufacturer. If you go this solid joint route, choose the one that fits your ability for upkeep best. I run battleversion supra arms in the rear with a supra subframe.

Supra rear arms dont work unless you have the supra rear subframe. toe arms are shorter, torque arms are longer and rear lower arm is shorter with different points of connection for swaybars and shocks.

My $.02, get oem or oem replacement unless you are really into dialing in the suspension or plan to build the car heavily. Solid or almost solid mounts/joints/etc will definitely effect comfort while reducing deflection.
Old 10-31-16, 01:57 PM
Username1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vipsoarer
Hopefully this helps as you will need to decide what works best for you and your goals...

No one makes a new ball joint with harder rubber or urethane in terms of toe or torque arms in the rear. You will either need oem or oem replacement parts if you want minimal maintenance and comfort.

Some aftermarket spherical joints are cheap and need constant grease, some are self lubricating, some just need a squirt of teflon; it all depends on $ and manufacturer. If you go this solid joint route, choose the one that fits your ability for upkeep best. I run battleversion supra arms in the rear with a supra subframe.

Supra rear arms dont work unless you have the supra rear subframe. toe arms are shorter, torque arms are longer and rear lower arm is shorter with different points of connection for swaybars and shocks.

My $.02, get oem or oem replacement unless you are really into dialing in the suspension or plan to build the car heavily. Solid or almost solid mounts/joints/etc will definitely effect comfort while reducing deflection.
1. I'm not too terribly concerned about comfort or NVH, What I'm worried about is maintenance. You're reinforcing what I've seen so far, that everything that I've seen in my searching are merely race car parts that are ran on the street.

2. I don't mind installing/running a Supra subframe...if there's an advantage to doing so. There's a local schmoe that may have a complete rear suspension clip plus limited slip diff out of a Supra (I don't know what year car it came out of), I just don't remember what year Supra bits fits on this car, at least from a rear-suspension standpoint. I did see a sticky in here concerning what fits on the front, but not much in the rear.

3. I don't have that kind of time to invest in really dialing in the suspension, I've got another car that I'm doing that with anyway, so if there's not an aftermarket unit that's simply better than OEM...but once again, is there a quality/durometer difference between Supra and SC?

Thank you.
Old 10-31-16, 08:53 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Username1
1. I'm not too terribly concerned about comfort or NVH, What I'm worried about is maintenance. You're reinforcing what I've seen so far, that everything that I've seen in my searching are merely race car parts that are ran on the street.

2. I don't mind installing/running a Supra subframe...if there's an advantage to doing so. There's a local schmoe that may have a complete rear suspension clip plus limited slip diff out of a Supra (I don't know what year car it came out of), I just don't remember what year Supra bits fits on this car, at least from a rear-suspension standpoint. I did see a sticky in here concerning what fits on the front, but not much in the rear.

3. I don't have that kind of time to invest in really dialing in the suspension, I've got another car that I'm doing that with anyway, so if there's not an aftermarket unit that's simply better than OEM...but once again, is there a quality/durometer difference between Supra and SC?

Thank you.
If you don't have time to do much to the suspension, just put it back OEM. It's all good stuff, there is nothing slouchy about the stock stuff, I run it in a race series with bone stock suspension components. It's good enough.