Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

2 front Camber bolt seized please help

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 03:08 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2 front Camber bolt seized please help

Brought the car to an alignment shop today, the mechanic told me my 2 camber bolts in the front on the lower control arm is seized he could not adjust camber in the front he can only adjust the toes, the rear was fine, is there any way to take them out ? he said my camber is fine don't need adjustment, my friend said if i don't fix them next time i have to replace the whole lower control arm and it will cost a ton$ thanks so much.

its my new ride 2011 IS350 AWD , 2011 and it's seized bad already ? i hate Quebec car. should have kept my RWD 350 one.....
Attached Thumbnails 2 front Camber bolt seized please help-350alignment-014.jpg  

Last edited by The350Girl; 10-25-16 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-25-16, 02:51 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I don't know if there is a specific way to do it for the IS in particular, but I hope this can help even a little bit

http://www.eastwood.com/blog/eastwoo...d-stuck-bolts/
Old 10-25-16, 03:00 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Originally Posted by Rezno
I don't know if there is a specific way to do it for the IS in particular, but I hope this can help even a little bit

http://www.eastwood.com/blog/eastwoo...d-stuck-bolts/
thanks so much
Old 10-25-16, 03:04 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,559 Posts

If your camber is fine, then no need to touch or worry about them. If you're picky you can have them replaced. Any mechanic should know how to do that. If yours doesn't, I'd find a new mechanic.
Old 10-25-16, 06:24 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
If your camber is fine, then no need to touch or worry about them. If you're picky you can have them replaced. Any mechanic should know how to do that. If yours doesn't, I'd find a new mechanic.
Thanks for your input, but i don't really know if it's good, the mechanic said it is good and i wanna make sure here the picture please give me some advice
Attached Thumbnails 2 front Camber bolt seized please help-350alignment-014.jpg  
Old 10-26-16, 10:01 AM
strikeraj
Driver

please correct me if I am wrong but...
I don't think stock IS350 has adjustable front camber?
hence the need for aftermarket ball joint or UCA?
Old 10-26-16, 11:20 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The350Girl
Thanks for your input, but i don't really know if it's good, the mechanic said it is good and i wanna make sure here the picture please give me some advice
I'm no expert but it looks like everything is okay. It does seem like he fixed whatever could have been causing a problem. I'd say just trust the guy and if you notice anything that feels weird take it back to him and explain what feels weird or different.

I agree with E46CT. If he isn't able to do it, try and find another mechanic who can take of it for you.
Old 10-26-16, 04:03 PM
The350Girl
Driver

Originally Posted by Rezno
I'm no expert but it looks like everything is okay. It does seem like he fixed whatever could have been causing a problem. I'd say just trust the guy and if you notice anything that feels weird take it back to him and explain what feels weird or different.

I agree with E46CT. If he isn't able to do it, try and find another mechanic who can take of it for you.
car drives straight but i do feel a little little shimmy, mechanic said because i have a bad Direction tires, as you can see camber is 1 degree inward should i leave it or go to other Shop ?
Old 10-26-16, 07:58 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by The350Girl
car drives straight but i do feel a little little shimmy, mechanic said because i have a bad Direction tires, as you can see camber is 1 degree inward should i leave it or go to other Shop ?
Leave it for now. 1 degree isn't too big of a deal and not only that but you'd probably get completely ripped off if you take that in and they work on it. I'd check the wheel alignment/camber again after maybe 5000 miles of driving just to make sure everything is intact. If he said your tires are going bad, that should probably be the first thing to change. It should also get rid of whatever feeling you said you had. I drove my dad's car for a bit (~20 miles to the shop) with the alignment all screwy and you don't feel a difference driving in a straight line. It only feels bad if you're driving on a back road at a higher speed.

So basically check on camber after 5k miles and get your tires switched out. Other than that, everything looks okay.
Old 10-27-16, 09:45 AM
scott1256c
Pole Position

Yeah, I think I'd leave it alone for now. If the tires aren't great, I'd address that. Once that is done, you may drive the car for years before you ever need to do anything with the bolts. If they are already seized then they aren't likely to become worse, so you might as well postpone the work until it needs to be done. Maybe you'll buy another car before that happens.
Old 10-27-16, 09:59 AM
phm14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a alignment "mechanic" struggle with loosening control arm pivot bolts, for a while, because he didn't know what he was doing. He was a recent hire. Don't assume just because he has a job at a shop he is competent. Some shops will suggest work that is not necessary to customers they perceive as not car savvy. Did you ask to see the problem? In order to replace a "seized" through bolt, or any other threaded fastener, you must remove it. If the threads are not damaged, un-seizing a fastener can be done using several methods, or a combination. Products like PB Blaster are designed to free threaded fasteners that are corroded/seized. Heat can also be applied with a torch, but can damage heat sensitive materials like suspension bushings. Cutting or easy out taps can be used in some cases. In any case, I doubt the threads on your suspension bolts are in such bad shape they need replacing. I've been driving and wrenching on Toyota/Lexus vehicles for over 35 years, and have never seen it. These components are plated to resist corrosion.
Old 10-27-16, 10:41 AM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As stated earlier, you cannot adjust camber on a 2IS with OEM suspension components You need aftermarket components to do so.

Your mechanic and friend are full of B.S.
Old 10-27-16, 07:04 PM
The350Girl
Driver

thank you all for the great advice, probably my next service is 4 new tires.