Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Megan Arms - Which Do I Need?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-16, 12:46 PM
organicali
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Megan Arms - Which Do I Need?

I'm going to be lowering my car with BC Coilovers but will be keeping it at a drivable height. NO tire tuck. Most likely 1 finger gap all around with stock 18's for now.

Not so familiar with the IS/Lexus suspension yet and unsure what I need to keep my alignment within spec.

Are the FRONT Megan arms only for increasing camber?? Wouldn't' I want want arms that decrease camber to keep my contact patch within spec? Is this the part I want to keep my front suspension in spec?

Rear Camber Arms seem like a necessity.

Will I need any kit for Toe adjustment??

My goal is to keep the alignment within spec and have tires wear evenly and maximize handling.

Thanks for the help!
Old 10-23-16, 10:28 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

If you're going with 1 finger gap all around, the stock suspension has enough adjustability that you can get by, within spec range, without buying upper/lower control arms, ball joints, toe links, etc. I have all of the above but I am tucking tire and need adjustment to clear my fenders.

You'll be fine.
Old 11-19-16, 06:40 AM
dci4life
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by organicali
I'm going to be lowering my car with BC Coilovers but will be keeping it at a drivable height. NO tire tuck. Most likely 1 finger gap all around with stock 18's for now.

Not so familiar with the IS/Lexus suspension yet and unsure what I need to keep my alignment within spec.

Are the FRONT Megan arms only for increasing camber?? Wouldn't' I want want arms that decrease camber to keep my contact patch within spec? Is this the part I want to keep my front suspension in spec?

Rear Camber Arms seem like a necessity.

Will I need any kit for Toe adjustment??

My goal is to keep the alignment within spec and have tires wear evenly and maximize handling.

Thanks for the help!
Im in the same boat as you. Im wanting to have as much tire touching the ground. Im considering the Megan Racing LP series with Megan LCA.
Old 11-22-16, 11:19 AM
WylieKylie
Lead Lap

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

This talk of more tire touching the ground is silly. Within reason, your car will handle better with more negative camber, and a couple of degrees of negative camber won't make a noticeable difference on tire wear.
Old 11-22-16, 12:16 PM
VTsuckah
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WylieKylie
This talk of more tire touching the ground is silly. Within reason, your car will handle better with more negative camber, and a couple of degrees of negative camber won't make a noticeable difference on tire wear.
This is exatly correct. Race applications typically have a few degrees of negative camber.

My 2010 350 is lowered on colievers with a one finger gap on stock wheels/tires. I do not have aftermarket camber arms installed and am running a little over -1 degree natural camber, but am within OEM spec. My tires are wearing as normal. A degree or two of negative camber doesn't eat up your tires... Excessive toe angles are the MAJOR culprit of chewing through tires prematurely.
Old 11-29-16, 04:54 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

So my car Lowered on H&R Sport Springs F 1.4" & R 1.3" shouldn't need to worry about getting Ball Joints or Camber Arms???...I just ordered replacement struts and was hoping to get the ball joints and Camber arms so i can get everything installed at the same time.
Old 11-29-16, 05:01 PM
Nixcision
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dci4life
So my car Lowered on H&R Sport Springs F 1.4" & R 1.3" shouldn't need to worry about getting Ball Joints or Camber Arms???...I just ordered replacement struts and was hoping to get the ball joints and Camber arms so i can get everything installed at the same time.

You definitely won't need any of those if you've just lowered with springs, at a minute amount.
Old 11-29-16, 05:15 PM
dci4life
Pole Position

What is the Insight on Sway bars? Pro's and Cons for them. Looking to make driving my Lexus fun again.
Old 11-30-16, 06:05 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by dci4life
What is the Insight on Sway bars? Pro's and Cons for them.
If you have the budget, get both front and rear F-sport sway bars. However, if you're on a budget, then just do the rear F-sport sway bar. Keep in mind that when replacing the sway bars you might encounter issues removing the end links. Like me, you might have to cut the old ones off and purchase new ones.