Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Power Stop Drilled/SlottedRotors, EBC RedStuff Pads, and RS-R Down AWD Springs Review

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-16, 09:43 AM
plastus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Stop Drilled/SlottedRotors, EBC RedStuff Pads, and RS-R Down AWD Springs Review

Hi all,

I recently had the following installed on my car and thought I would post up some part numbers (the catalog information available online and through various parts suppliers is wrong) and my impressions compared to stock '15 F-Sport equipment. Hopefully this information saves someone time finding the correct part #'s for these particular components.

Brakes:

Power Stop Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors
Front: JBR1568/1569XPR
Rear: JBR1148XPR

Pads:

EBC Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads
Front: DP31589C
Rear: DP31580C

Websites will say the rear requires a different part (DP31586C) but that is the incorrect style of brake pad. The F-Sport rear calipers require a brake pad with little wings at the end, NOT a center pin like the front. I had to call EBC to get the proper information and apparently both the IS250 F-Sport and IS350 F-Sport use the same brake pad despite the rotor being 12.2" on the IS350.

Brake Fluid:

ATE 706202 Original TYP 200 DOT 4 Brake Fluid - 1 Liter (x2)

Initial Impressions:

I had a local Lexus dealership finish the work on my car after the initial shop damaged my car on the lift. They performed a full brake fluid flush with DOT4 fluid using their Toyota/Lexus machine. Not much brake pedal difference but the pedal does feel slightly firmer and linear. The brake pads feel amazing and the car has much more bite in the first 10-15% of pedal application. Less brake pressure is needed to achieve good braking compared to the stock pads/rotors. I felt the stock brakes had a dead zone whereas with the new pads/rotors, the brakes work right away. The claim of 'less brake dust' couldn't be further from the truth and I'd have to say these pads dust even more than the stock pads. For me, it's not a problem and it's not that much of an issue on the F-Sport pearl grey paint.

RS-R Down AWD Springs:

T197D

Initial Impressions:

Perfect drop in my opinion (at least for NJ roads). Virtually no gap between rear tire and fender. The front naturally has more due to the larger/taller wheel wells but the car overall is dropped more in the front as RS-R advertises. The ride feels just as comfortable as stock with maybe a slight hint of more 'bounce' when going over certain imperfections in the road. In Sport+, no complaints and the car is still just as compliant with a firmer handling profile. I was worried about affecting the suspension geometry too much but after alignment on an otherwise stock suspension, I was able to achieve the following:

Front: -0.9° camber, 5.9° caster, 0.01in toe (symmetrical)
Rear: -2.4° camber, 0.04in toe (symmetrical)
Old 09-25-16, 09:12 PM
nayuta
Driver

looks good!

I like the rotors and that's a fair drop.

Where in NJ are you based?
Old 09-26-16, 06:56 AM
oyeitsdean
Rookie

Awesome , i was looking in to some good big break system. I agree with you on the stock breaks.. the response are weak. Need something that would respond alot quicker!
Old 10-02-16, 01:24 PM
drdreydel
Driver School Candidate

Hey Plastus! Looks pretty good. I'm curious how you got your Lexus dealer to put non-OEM (high temp) brake fluid in after the flush? I'm coming up on my 30k service which includes the brake system flush and would love it if they used high temp instead of the OEM stuff?

Thanks!
Old 10-03-16, 08:04 AM
plastus
Rookie

I asked the service advisor that took my car in (new dealership to me, as my usual dealership wouldn't touch aftermarket parts) whether they can use my brake fluid. He said he would need to check since he doesn't know whether the machine can mix DOT 4 w/ DOT 3 and that they obviously wouldn't be able to perform a clean on the entire machine just for one customer. DOT 4 is chemically compatible with DOT 3 though so I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue. Few minutes later he says they can do it no problem.

Originally Posted by drdreydel
Hey Plastus! Looks pretty good. I'm curious how you got your Lexus dealer to put non-OEM (high temp) brake fluid in after the flush? I'm coming up on my 30k service which includes the brake system flush and would love it if they used high temp instead of the OEM stuff?

Thanks!
Old 10-05-16, 10:30 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,071 Likes on 1,564 Posts

Great post. Same fluid that's popular in BMW circles. I thought of using that fluid myself.

Do you know if the Lexus system requires computer involvement to properly bleed the brakes? BMWs require software to engage the stability control/abs module to get all the air out of it. I want to eventually change out to better brake fluid.
Old 10-07-16, 07:43 AM
plastus
Rookie

It requires use of the Toyota/Lexus Techstream during a fluid flush and bleed.

Originally Posted by E46CT
Great post. Same fluid that's popular in BMW circles. I thought of using that fluid myself.

Do you know if the Lexus system requires computer involvement to properly bleed the brakes? BMWs require software to engage the stability control/abs module to get all the air out of it. I want to eventually change out to better brake fluid.
Old 10-07-16, 08:46 PM
LexoDAV
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by plastus
It requires use of the Toyota/Lexus Techstream during a fluid flush and bleed.
your brakes are cute😽😽
Old 10-18-16, 09:54 AM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks for the detailed write-up! Would this work with non-F cars as well? The calipers appear to be the same, so I wasn't sure if the only difference between F and non-F was a brake pad thing.