Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Battle Version Solid rack spacer and tie rod install

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 10:54 AM
Fcdrifter2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Battle Version Solid rack spacer and tie rod install

This is honestly one of the best investments you can make. These solid spacer cost 40$ and will remove so much slop in your steering. It took me about 30 minutes to swap out the bushings and re install the rack. THIS IS INCREDIBLY EASY TO DO!

3/8 socket wrench
14mm socket
17mm socket
3" 3/8 extension
needle nose pliers
small butane torch

Start off by removing the factory cross brace. It will be four 14mm bolts, two on each side.
Name:  IMAG0039.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  134.4 KB

once you got that off, use your socket wrench and 17mm sockets to remove the four bolts holding the rack. The two on the passenger side are fairly easy to get to, the driver side you will need to use and extension and work your way around the p's line. Once those are off go ahead and let the rack hang. The tie rods will be hold it up and give you plenty of room to work on it.

as you can see my bushing were already in pretty bad shape.
Name:  IMAG0044.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  160.8 KB

So here is where the torch will come in handy. Apply a little bit of direct heat to the rubber bushing, once you see it start to bubble a bit, grab a set of needle nose pliers and you will pull the bushing out.
Name:  IMAG0046.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  122.7 KB

Once you have both bushing out make sure that the inside of the hole are clean and free of any rubber or residue. After you made sure its all clean the new solid spacers will slip right in. You should not have to beat them in or force them in. If you find your self having to do either of those then there is something wrong and you need to stop. Double check that you are putting the spacer in straight, there isn't any rubber left over inside, or that there is any scoring or damage.If installing these correctly you should be able to put them in by hand with some firm pressure.

Name:  IMAG0052.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  181.4 KB
Name:  IMAG0053.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  133.2 KB

Re install the four bolts holding your rack, then re install the factory cross brace and you are all done with the rack spacers. Car felt night and day after the solid bushing install. If you have replacement tie rods I would also recommend doing them at this time.
Old 08-01-16, 10:24 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

FIGs made me some of these years ago and i didnt love them for a daily driver so i removed them, glad your happy with them though
Old 08-01-16, 05:07 PM
goodyonsen
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the write up. I've been wanting to do this... just some hesitation with going to a solid bushing
Old 08-03-16, 12:44 PM
Fcdrifter2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by sakataj
FIGs made me some of these years ago and i didnt love them for a daily driver so i removed them, glad your happy with them though
I could see why. For most people these are bit much. I spend most of my time in race cars though so it aint to bad for me.

Originally Posted by goodyonsen
Thanks for the write up. I've been wanting to do this... just some hesitation with going to a solid bushing
They are a bit rigid for a daily driver. but hey, every other bushing on my car has already been swapped to a solid spacer or monoball. If your car is mostly stock then maybe these might not be what you are looking for.
Old 10-11-16, 09:56 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Have you gotten tired of these yet? Can you explain if you feel more information from the road to the tires to the steering wheel vs stock rubber bushings? There are a few companies that make the poly bushings for the passenger side as well.

Last edited by GS400V8; 10-12-16 at 09:46 AM.
Old 10-12-16, 09:42 AM
Fcdrifter2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GS400V8
Have you gotten tired of these yet? Can you explain if you feel more information from the road to the tires to the steering wheel vs stock rubber bushings? There are a few companies that make the poly bushings for the passenger side as well.

I still like it. The steering feels much more direct since I put them on. I'm using a poly bushing for the passenger side, but I machined a few delrin pieces too. I'm going to try those out and see how that feels with the solid spacers